CASA (Australian) UAV controller / operator certificate

min0nim

Has anyone here been through the process themselves?

It seems fairly straightforward - a lot of paperwork and discipline, but not unexpected. The PPL theory does seem very deep though. Any experiences or insight from those who have done it?

My biggest question is about the actual UAV 'manufacturer's training'. If you build a UAV yourself, how is this handled? Do you have to develop your own manual effectively?

I will be doing my UAV controllers certificate in a few weeks so will post more details after that on whats involved, I will ask about the self build options as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

raybans

It seems fairly straightforward - a lot of paperwork and discipline, but not unexpected. The PPL theory does seem very deep though. Any experiences or insight from those who have done it?

My biggest question is about the actual UAV 'manufacturer's training'. If you build a UAV yourself, how is this handled? Do you have to develop your own manual effectively?

If you self build, then you are the manufacturer and provide your own training. For your controllers certificate this means that basically you issue yourself a statement of competency covering key flight and technical areas.
When you go on to a full operators certificate then yes you will need to do your own flight manual for the MR you have built.

Hi guys, as promised here is my update.
I finished my controllers certificate training today and passed and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed doing the course, not only did I meet and make some really good friends but was trained by some of the most experienced and knowledgable people within the aviation industry.
Yes it is not cheap but the knowledge and experiences I gained was really worth it.
The course itself was two weeks solid and very in depth, a lot of theory and details on rules and regs, theory of flight, comms, meteorology, human factors, energy systems etc and quite a bit of practical stuff as well, its a great deal of study in a short period but it is manageable and very worthwhile if you want to operate professionally.

If you want to fly commercially I can strongly recommend it, yeah they will probably relax the rules regarding sub 2kg but that limits you to a P2 and a gopro which is ok for doing a bit of real estate video but not much else.
If you want to know anything else just ask.

min0nim

Fantastic news FlyingHigh. A big congratulations!

Can I ask who you did your course with? And are you setting up your own business with it?

dazzab

Congrats! I'm dying to do that course. This wasn't by chance at Aus Academy in Qld? I'm working on raising the cash now to head up there ASAP. So what's the situation with an OC now? Who's operator cert will you be flying under?

I am in WA and trained with Cybertech who are the only authorised trainers over here, they are a very professional company who take this very seriously, I can highly recommend them.
The company I work for already has an OC so I will be flying under that together with another pilot, we are trying to develop our capability in the high end of the market with major clients, I may look at getting my own OC in the future for private work but will wait and see how things develop.

Bluerex

RPAS - Here I come! :nevreness:
MY package of "pre-course" reading arrived this afternoon, next week it's full-on with John Flemming and his first RPAS course to be held here in Canberra.
I did "Manufacturer Type Training" a week or so ago with John and I'm really looking forward to the next stage in getting my license.
You can check out the fpvaustralia site for details, but I must say that I am really glad that someone has formulated a course for those of us who are not necessarily looking to de-ice their Cessna, but want to take safe, legal video and stills from a multi-rotor platform.
I should also favourably mention Geoff and the crew at Antipodean Aviation who are looking after the mandatory radio ops certificate (AROCP). It's all starting to come together :dog::dog:

So stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for breakfast.... or at least an update during the course.

Charles.

Rentakill

If you can hold out and study for the ppl, its a cheaper way. Im about to sit the exam for my second time. Got 52% first time not knowing half the stuff I do now. Remembering trainee pilots cannot sit the ppl until 12 weeks of flight which we get BAK exemption.

OC part cost 5k takes upto 12 weeks lol go CASA, but you need that for insurance and public liability. Good luck

With regards to all your manuals, you can download DJI pre flight procedures. Log your 5 hrs flying, get someone who is certified to do your service checks. Show how you manage your batteries with charging & cycling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluerex

Day one of my RPAS down.
A really interesting bunch of fellow students, the course was relaxed, informative and well delivered by someone who actually flies multi-rotors. There was a meteorological section (CASA insisted), so despite my best efforts I do now know how and why my Cessna is likely to develop two different types of ice on it's wings (and why that's a bad thing). But there was plenty of other more relevant information which made the day worthwhile.
Looking forward to a half day's flying tomorrow weather permitting.

C

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

They should include the OC application as well for that price...
The price of the training is actually more than $1,000 less than the other two providers of the RPAS course in Australia. And it's the only training to date in Australia that is multlirotor based. So right now, it's very good value. I'm signed up to take it in October and can't wait. I don't know any training that includes the OC application but most of them do include guidance on how to complete the process required to obtain an OC. There are consultants available to assist in the submission of an OC application but you are looking at around $2,000 to employ them. The real cost in all of this is liability insurance. I haven't been able to find that for less than $5,000 per year so far. Hopefully that will come down as more people become involved but for the time being it's quite expensive.

Bluerex

And that's a wrap.
Five days of study, written assessment and practical flying later I have a certificate, a cap and a much better idea of what commercial flying demands.

C