Align Multicopter Can't start motors using Taranis

Wolfie

High Tech Hippie
I can't seem to get my motors to arm. I have an Align M480 on an 8XR running SBUS to my APSM. Stick direction is correct in the APSM software and on the Taranis monitor, APSM boots up, gets a good sat lock, throw the sticks down and inward...and nothing happens. What did I miss? I'm new to Taranis but as far as I can tell everything looks good. Motor test through the APSM works fine, but I can't arm. All switches for flight control work in the APSM software, gear switch works but when I throw the sticks down and in the motors won't start. Any suggestions?
I'd really like to fly this thing but I'm stumped.

synrg

99% sure you need to reverse your Elevator in the APSM software.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

synrg

Hmmm... I have same exact setup and same issue. Reversed only my Elevator and that was it. Sorry can't be more help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASims

Are APSM and PCU status lights both green? So channel direction is correct. Did you do the stick calibration in the apsm software?

Wolfie

High Tech Hippie
Yes the APSM and PCU are green, and I have done the stick calibration a few times, but I must be missing something.

Wolfie

High Tech Hippie
Okay I found it, I had a mis-configuration in my TX just as I thought. Question though: The APSM monitor now sees my throttle as -100 to +100. From what I hear this this beast will become airborne at 55% throttle. So I need to move the throttle from -100 to +55 for this to happen? And then on landing 0% throttle would be at mid stick? Just want to be clear before I fly.
What I would like is for 0% throttle at -100 at 100% throttle at +100 so lift off would be just above mid stick. Is that possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

sawdogg73

Hi, I have the M690l with, gimbal and osd using the Devo F12E. I have done everything listed above and checked my TX but it will not arm. Motor test is fine also. When I reverse the elevator in APSM it shows moving in the wrong direction or am I looking at it wrong? I changed it back. It could be something i'm missing in the TX but it shows d/r at 100 default

sawdogg73

Did the reverse elevator and it arms now. My question is what about the elevator direction? On the screen moving my elevator up shows as down and vice versa. How will it affect flying?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Okay I found it, I had a mis-configuration in my TX just as I thought. Question though: The APSM monitor now sees my throttle as -100 to +100. From what I hear this this beast will become airborne at 55% throttle. So I need to move the throttle from -100 to +55 for this to happen? And then on landing 0% throttle would be at mid stick? Just want to be clear before I fly.
What I would like is for 0% throttle at -100 at 100% throttle at +100 so lift off would be just above mid stick. Is that possible?

Unless I'm missing something, this would be a real bad idea. If your calculations show your craft hovering at 55% throttle, that's correct (50% is ideal). Leave the tx throttle end points as-is. You want it to lift off when you get to mid-point of the throttle throw. In your case, it may be a little above that. If you move the end points, you will lessen the throw that the throttle is capable of.

R Hurd

What was your mis-configuration? Have same problem - different Tx.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you're having issues arming, often the sticks are either reversed or the end points need to be adjusted.

Make sure your stocks are not reversed first.

R Hurd

Had the same problem as above. After setting up all sticks in both the APSM and on the transmitter so that they appeared to function properly - system would not arm per the manual. Found that you had to find witch corner on both the left and right sticks that brought all stick readings to -100%. Mine turned out to be down left on the left stick and down left on the right stick. Armed and started.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Without any detail of the radio, FC etc, it's hard to know exactly what you're talking about. Was your FC supposed to arm in a different stick position than the one you mention above? If so, one of your sticks may be reversed.

R Hurd

Without any detail of the radio, FC etc, it's hard to know exactly what you're talking about. Was your FC supposed to arm in a different stick position than the one you mention above? If so, one of your sticks may be reversed.

Radio is a Spektrum DX8. Flight Controller is the Align APS-M with the Align PUC. Looking at the the Align APS-M setup screen we have the following default (factory set) stick setup:
Aileron - full left stick is -100%, full right stick is +100%
Rudder - Same as Aileron
Elevator - Same as Aileron
Throttle - Same as Aileron
The APS-M end points can not be changed (-100% left and +100% right). The only thing that can be changed is the stick direction of movement. On the transmitter left rudder should turn the bird left, throttle idle in stick all the way down, Aileron left tips bird left to fly left, and Elevator up bird should fly away from you. From this you can see that there are 3 to the 3rd (27) possible combinations of stick positions to get the unit armed (assuming throttle position is given). Must have all stick positions in the -100% position for the unit to start.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
End points are adjusted in the radio.

It seems like you have this sorted out, the only reason I asked was to be sure that the stick position hat is arming the bird is the one described by the FC manual. If for some reason the manual says that arming should be done by placing both sticks all the way down, and to the outside position, or all the way down, and to the inside position (these two combos are the most popular, but not the only arming positions) - you want to make sure that's what is arming. If not, you could have stocks reversed in there somewhere.