Can someone explain Mixing

Jussi

Question about Mixing on Spektrum transmitters. I was researching a question I had regarding my flight controller and came upon a video where the guy was using mixing to solve the problem. Now I could probably just follow all the steps he did and get a solution to my problem but I have no idea what any of these settings he's changing are really doing. And I want to know. So can someone give me a crash course on Mixing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jussi

Here is the video. My question was about assigning failsafe on the Naza v2 to a switch rather than having it trigger only when signal is lost. I also wanted to maintain Manual as the third mode on the flight control switch.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Mixes are when you assign more than one function/channel to trigger from a single control surface/channel move.

For instance, if you had a gimbal with yaw direction control on channel 9, and tilt direction control on channel 10 of your radio. You decide that you would like the gimbal to yaw a set amount each time you tilt the gimbal. You would mix channel 9 with channel 10 - and the 2 movements would happen simultaneously. This is just a bad, but simple example :)

Another way you might use it is if you were limited in the number of physical switches you had - you could use mixes to have any single switch/knob handle dual duties.

Jussi

I think I get the basics. So in Mixing are the rate values equivalent to travel and the offset equivalent to center position or subtrim? In the case of mixing a channel to itself and that channel being connected to a 3 position switch, is the center position of the slave switch dependent on the the current switch position of the master switch? Man this is making my head hurt.

So in my scenario I'm trying to make it such that I have a dedicated fail safe switch. If the flight mode switch is toggled from it's current position it then automatically goes out of failsafe and into that flight mode. Toggling the failsafe switch off then on again puts it back in failsafe.

I'm using an AR8000 receiver and have the U port on the naza hooked up to AUX1 on the receiver. So I assume I would mix Aux1 > Aux1. Do I then adjust the rate or the offset? Since the failsafe switch is dependent on the flight mode switch would the naza only go into failsafe if the flight mode is at the position I have when I adjusted the failsafe switch? Again, head, hurts.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Wow. That made MY head hurt. :)

Unfortunately I don't have a spectrum radio here to mess with to see how this would work.

Hopefully some of the spectrum guys will chime in. Sorry.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry, I realized that I let the head hurting distract me! :)

Yes, the rate would basically be equivalent to the travel (or end points), and the offset moves the center position around.

I think you should be a let to follow that video if you have an extra switch. The easiest way to do it would be mess with that aux rate until the new switch moves the Naza assistant arrow under the fail safe mode. What you're doing is using the rate of the extra switch to dampen the travel of the mode switch only when the extra switch is thrown.

Jussi

Right I think I got that part. But say I set the rate on the fail safe switch while the flight mode switch is in the GPS position. Does that mean the failsafe switch will only work when the flight mode switch is on GPS position? If it is, is there a work around that will allow the failsafe to activate regardless of the position of the master switch?

Thanks for the help Motopreserve.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think to get it to work regardless of which mode it's in, you'll have to move the rate around on that extra switch channel to find a sweet spot.

I'm not positive you can achieve it - but realize that the mode switch is only arriving at the modes by finding the correct end points to make the switch land where the Naza wants to see it. So you should be able to tweak the rate back and forth to allow the 2nd switch to make that position be in the middle between the two. You might just need to mess with it a bit to find that sweet spot.

If you're stuck, the offset may help as well.