Building my new quad in a hurricane.

Kilby

Of course, the best time to start a new build is during a hurricane, right? I just hope the lights don't go out.. if they do I have headlamps. ;-)

Details as they happen... I just wanted to post the first pic of the log. It's going to be a compact FPV / GoPro Quad. I'm trying to keep everything tight and as close to the center of gravity as possible. The GoPro will be angled down more than I usually have it in order to keep the props out of view. I just want to try something different. I'll have switching set up between the GoPro and the 12volt FPV camera w/Remzibi OSD.

6087682086_fb02b58338_b.jpg

CopterControl
Flycam 925's
18amp ESC's
FoxTech Foldable Quad Frame

Video of Warthox testing the frame

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yo Kilby.... U survived?... Lets see how your going on either with lights on or off!

Keep your head down but I am guessing the storm has passed buy now.

Dave

juz

FPV pilot
Kilby. I hope all is well for you. I will follow this build with interest. As I also want a travel FPV quad. I have a foldable machine that I am testing and tweeking right now...but yours looks very nice. Is that 5.8gHz FPV gear?

Kilby

Somehow just noticed these replies. Thanks for all the concern guys. We made it through without so much as a flicker of the lights. I was pretty surprised as we lose power on our block pretty often (3-4 times/year) and absolutely expected to be without then as well. I think the quad gods must have been with me though and wanted me to get this build going. maybe I should name the new quad "Irene". ;-)

The build is done and I'll be adding some more details today. It's a whole name game for me since the only MRC experience I've ever had was my own tricopters I built from scratch. Details soon...

Kilby

So, I have to admit, I'm in love with this new quad. To understand why it's important to know that the only multirotor experience I have is with my own tricopters that I have built over the last 10 months. I've never even seen another in real life. The tricopter went through many changes over the year starting out as a gyro only craft and then having a heli stabilizer added, then finally CopterControl. The frame went through many transformations as well before finally ending up as carbon fiber booms with a light ply main frame.

Since ripping the old tri apart and building out this new quad the power to weight ratio is in a completely different league. I'm at 60% of my original weight with 33% more power. This thing is a rocket ship compared to what I'm used to. It used to always feel like I was doing all I could just to keep the tri in the air, and it didn't do very well in decents at all, several times hitting the ground without me being able to pull it up. Now I can literally shut the motors off in the air and free fall before blasting it back up into the sky. It reminds me of a single rotor in that regard.

I'm using it mostly as an FPV sport flier, but I'll also do some light AP with my GoPro. I'm still waiting to get a slight frame upgrade (center plates will be fiberglass, currently ABS plastic), but it's all together now and flying great! I was able to mount my FPV antenna with more clearance than ever before and the reception is now amazing. I can easily cover my entire flying field now with no problems where I used to hit static about half way across.

This morning a hit a new personal best by getting this quad up to 39 mph in forward flight. I'm sue others have done this before, but it's a first for me and I'm grinning ear to ear because of it. Video to come soon, but here are a few pics in the meantime.

6104575947_39c6f74d0b_b.jpg

6104566961_c2ca686b8d_b.jpg

6105125966_756abb2027_b.jpg

6104580041_07669432d5_b.jpg

6104581879_79f8b6f61d_b.jpg

6104580735_6e818ab5ac_b.jpg