Brushless Gimbal for NEX 5/6/7/550D or GF2

Rolfy

Musky You have to empty your PM mailbox, I am trying to send you my Teamviewer ID and password, but its full!

Rolfy

Hi
Musky have just helped me with the gui reading, it was a driver problem.
He solved it nice and easy via TeamViewer.
Thanks again Musky!
This problem solved.

normand14

Attachments

• carte MARTINEZ.jpg
    carte MARTINEZ.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 224

remyd

SMP how are you going with the Musky? Happy with it? Any videos or more to report? I loaned mine to a friend and should get it back soon and plan to follow yours and Boris's guide to updating etc. Any further tips? What firmware are people using and happy with. I note a new release
[h=3]2.0b4[/h]Cheers,
Remy

SMP

The Musky gimbal is a bit of a funny thing... The Problem is, its a big gimbal... which is a great thing, unless it isn't. Confusing huh?? Here's why.

First things first, the brushless gimbal is about the simplest thing mechanically to make work, it's a basic L bracket with an awesome board. As long as you can balance the camera the board will handle the rest. 99% of the gimbals dont let you balance the roll axis so in this regard the Musky gimbal lets you adjust tray height so it wins there. The Martinez board it comes with is a good board but most would argue the Alex board is better and the Alex GUI is without comparison. If theres any longevity to Muskys gimbal it REALLY should be sold with the Alex board. I have an Alex board but remains to be seen if I'll use it on this project.

Heres the thing... once you get past the gimbal and camera balancing and PID tuning the REAL problem is you need a fairly large copter to lift the bloody thing! Its nearly the same size as the Photohigher AV200 so that meant new landing gear. Between the weight of the new LG and the gimbal this required the DJI 550 Flamewheel it was going on to need motor extensions. Motor Extensions and 6 2814 Tiger motors later - the copter flexed so much it made the gimbal go nuts... Basically a perfect storm and an unusable piece of kit. Not because the gimbal was bad or the copter was bad but because the combination was bad.

Fast forward. Made a 15mm rail system quick release and stuffed it under a real frame AD6 converted to X8 and viola immediate difference! Now I've got minor vibrations but can see the potential. This thing was shelved for a long time. Now I'll try some MORE anti vibe and see if it works with the Alex FW.

Please do understand I'm using it with a very small camera which is undersized for these motors making it very difficult to balance and tune. I suspect Nex shooters will find it perfect and 550D shooters undersized. The moral of the story is however, yes it can work, as long as your copter does...

remyd

Thanks SMP - i was wondering about the board. I have a decent Octocopter X and flat 8 configs and plan to use it with a GH3 so lift and vibes should be ok as everything is balanced and have antivibe CS kit isolated from frame to account for this. Look forward to getting it back. I might look around and see if i can find an Alex board.

Cheers and thanks,
Remy

The Musky gimbal is a bit of a funny thing... The Problem is, its a big gimbal... which is a great thing, unless it isn't. Confusing huh?? Here's why.

First things first, the brushless gimbal is about the simplest thing mechanically to make work, it's a basic L bracket with an awesome board. As long as you can balance the camera the board will handle the rest. 99% of the gimbals dont let you balance the roll axis so in this regard the Musky gimbal lets you adjust tray height so it wins there. The Martinez board it comes with is a good board but most would argue the Alex board is better and the Alex GUI is without comparison. If theres any longevity to Muskys gimbal it REALLY should be sold with the Alex board. I have an Alex board but remains to be seen if I'll use it on this project.

Heres the thing... once you get past the gimbal and camera balancing and PID tuning the REAL problem is you need a fairly large copter to lift the bloody thing! Its nearly the same size as the Photohigher AV200 so that meant new landing gear. Between the weight of the new LG and the gimbal this required the DJI 550 Flamewheel it was going on to need motor extensions. Motor Extensions and 6 2814 Tiger motors later - the copter flexed so much it made the gimbal go nuts... Basically a perfect storm and an unusable piece of kit. Not because the gimbal was bad or the copter was bad but because the combination was bad.

Fast forward. Made a 15mm rail system quick release and stuffed it under a real frame AD6 converted to X8 and viola immediate difference! Now I've got minor vibrations but can see the potential. This thing was shelved for a long time. Now I'll try some MORE anti vibe and see if it works with the Alex FW.

Please do understand I'm using it with a very small camera which is undersized for these motors making it very difficult to balance and tune. I suspect Nex shooters will find it perfect and 550D shooters undersized. The moral of the story is however, yes it can work, as long as your copter does...

Jem

musky seems to have done a disappearing act. anyone still getting a reply from him?
my gimbal arrived with a damaged imu. he said he was sending a replacement. that was weeks ago, nothing! he is also ignoring my pm's now.
i have held off posting anything negative as i'm an optimist and expect people to come through in the end. how wrong i was.
i will now have to pursue him through paypal.

SMP

Bloody hell! Was making progress then the tilt bearing on the non motor side popped out and disappeared!! Keep an eye on that one guys!!!

Daniel, where did you get the bearings and where can I get more??