Blackmagic Pocket cinema camera in the air

jfro

Aerial Fun
So looking at the size and weight, with a Lumix lens on it, the BMPC looks like it could work in a gimbal designed for the NEX5N.
Thoughts? I have a really nice Hexacrafter gimbal for my NEX5's... Hmmmmm

I bought the uprade to GOtheliRC vx5 gimbal. It's a little wider and now holds the BMPC & GH2. Might hold the GH3 but I think it's a little heavy for the roll ergonomics. He uses a hollowed shaft brushless motor on the roll (a little bigger than the orig) so it should be a little stronger. I've been trying to figure out a way to put a safety strap on the bmpc because it isn't going to take much to break. I'm not a big fan of the way many people are hanging the roll off the shaft without any extra support

Anthem

I bought the uprade to GOtheliRC vx5 gimbal. It's a little wider and now holds the BMPC & GH2. Might hold the GH3 but I think it's a little heavy for the roll ergonomics. He uses a hollowed shaft brushless motor on the roll (a little bigger than the orig) so it should be a little stronger. I've been trying to figure out a way to put a safety strap on the bmpc because it isn't going to take much to break. I'm not a big fan of the way many people are hanging the roll off the shaft without any extra support
Keep us posted with the Gothelirc gimbal upgrade. I'm always on a look out for lighter gimbals and the vx5-v2 looks promising, and for BMPCC.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com

The Hexacrafter is very solid. It can take a GH3 with the bigger cage, but mine is set up for a NEX5

This is it:
View attachment 15532

Attachments

• 379-thickbox_default.jpg
    379-thickbox_default.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 384

daniel

the pocket is my personal favorite
all the flaws it has are no issue for aerials
it takes time to make it work, but every camera does
in the end I have a super light camera, beautiful quality, remote over lanc, power over flight battery, hdmi out and converter= high quality sd signal with a clean picture

Hi,
Awesome video!!! you mention that camera is powered from flight battery? are you using 4S ? or 3S ? and did you make the connector yourself?....
thats a great idea, i bet i last way more than the camera battery.
Im waiting on my BMPCC to arrive and i wil be using the adapter from gothelirc, and the kopterworxs hdmi converter.... i hope it works!

Thanks for your time

thanks, I share the 12 v of my video tx
works rock solid so far...with or without battery in the camera
according to BM you can use up to 4s
the plug is diy

raybans

The oly 9-18 lens barrel does vibrate, especially when at the 9mm end. We wedge the pointy end of a zip tie between the lens Barrel sections and that stops it - no more vibration probs. Also be aware this lens will suffer badly from diffraction when stopped down beyond F11, we have found f8 to be the sweet spot and use variable ND for exp. Working this way we find the the lens better than the Oly 12mm prime.

daniel

The oly 9-18 lens barrel does vibrate, especially when at the 9mm end. We wedge the pointy end of a zip tie between the lens Barrel sections and that stops it - no more vibration probs. Also be aware this lens will suffer badly from diffraction when stopped down beyond F11, we have found f8 to be the sweet spot and use variable ND for exp. Working this way we find the the lens better than the Oly 12mm prime.

Thanks for that important info.... i fly the same lens with my BMPC and sometimes i see a vibration in the footage I've never seen before....

yeehaanow

That's a good tip about the lens, but I really didn't like that 9-18 olympus. It's quite soft compared to others, and the lens flares are not pretty at all. I bought the lens hood they sell for it, but it doesn't help much because it has to get out of the way at the 9mm end. The focus is very touchy and can slip easily, and if you tape it it's hard to get it in the exact right spot. I ruined half a days shooting because the shots were out of focus. It is really light, which is great.

Now I use the lumix 12-35mm 2.8 and it's much better, but it should be at 2-3 x's the price! The lens stabilization helps out sometimes too. Except for a couple shots, this is all on the 12-35. Everything is on the pocket cam except the ski shots were GH3.
https://vimeo.com/97607559

Last edited by a moderator:

raybans

That's a good tip about the lens, but I really didn't like that 9-18 olympus. It's quite soft compared to others, and the lens flares are not pretty at all. I bought the lens hood they sell for it, but it doesn't help much because it has to get out of the way at the 9mm end. The focus is very touchy and can slip easily, and if you tape it it's hard to get it in the exact right spot. I ruined half a days shooting because the shots were out of focus. It is really light, which is great.

Now I use the lumix 12-35mm 2.8 and it's much better, but it should be at 2-3 x's the price! The lens stabilization helps out sometimes too. Except for a couple shots, this is all on the 12-35. Everything is on the pocket cam except the ski shots were GH3.
https://vimeo.com/97607559

Hey Tim,
good point on the lens flare, I am thinking I will get the 12-35 if I get a GH-4. (Still debating the BM prod camera)
Also well done on the Movi - is it as good as they say ?
Great videos btw -

Last edited by a moderator: