Blackmagic Pocket cinema camera in the air

anaka

The option isn't available also after to upgrade to the latest firmware...

Will start to ask on official forum and share more in the future

Kari

Hi Tim,

I'm also considering the pocket camera with the Olympus 9-18mm for aerial work. You mention jello but I can't see it in the videos above. Can you post an example of that? Are you talking about that jello caused by vibrations on the copter?

I've used bmpcc quite lot lately for works and i recommend to invest panasonic 7-14 instead Olympus, i know it's more expensive but it's a much better lens with BMPCC in almost every aspect. Better detail, lower distortions, better built quality... What comes to RAW and CF cards, you'll need to be careful with dropping frames even with "supported" Sandisk 64GB/95mbs cards, i'm getting dropping frames even with that if shooting 30fps scenes fast with high details.

But raw really is amazing, here's example frame shot ISO1600, Panasonic 7-14 @7mm and developed with camera raw with highlight recovery tool in 2/3 as well shadows up 2/3. If i shot GH3 frame for reference there wouldn't have been anything in the sky or blacks. No sharpening or noise reduction applied either.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2380926/raw1600.tif

anaka

ok guys, i got the solution from the official forum

it looks like i didn't updated the correct release of the firmware

now i'm enjoin the RAW recording and all the new features of the 1.51 firmware

next step is to learn better Davinci Resolve :D

Quinton

I've used bmpcc quite lot lately for works and i recommend to invest panasonic 7-14 instead Olympus, i know it's more expensive but it's a much better lens with BMPCC in almost every aspect. Better detail, lower distortions, better built quality... What comes to RAW and CF cards, you'll need to be careful with dropping frames even with "supported" Sandisk 64GB/95mbs cards, i'm getting dropping frames even with that if shooting 30fps scenes fast with high details.

But raw really is amazing, here's example frame shot ISO1600, Panasonic 7-14 @7mm and developed with camera raw with highlight recovery tool in 2/3 as well shadows up 2/3. If i shot GH3 frame for reference there wouldn't have been anything in the sky or blacks. No sharpening or noise reduction applied either.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2380926/raw1600.tif

That's quite a large size frame 3.3MB, I thought it would have been a bit smaller seeing it is compressed.
Have you got a good work flow going yet for editing.
I have been looking at the free Davinci Resolve, but it really does require high end processing with at least GTX graphics card, so am looking at a new powerful laptop for that side of things.
RAWanizer is a great program along with MLVBrowseSharp to view RAW files before editing.
Ive only been playing with RAW on the 5D but all the same principles apply.

Anyone considering looking at RAW or CinemaDNG video really needs to loook at what hardware setup they have first, dont just get these cameras because everyone says they are cool, it will be expensive.

Kari

That's quite a large size frame 3.3MB, I thought it would have been a bit smaller seeing it is compressed.
Have you got a good work flow going yet for editing.
I have been looking at the free Davinci Resolve, but it really does require high end processing with at least GTX graphics card, so am looking at a new powerful laptop for that side of things.
RAWanizer is a great program along with MLVBrowseSharp to view RAW files before editing.
Ive only been playing with RAW on the 5D but all the same principles apply.

Anyone considering looking at RAW or CinemaDNG video really needs to loook at what hardware setup they have first, dont just get these cameras because everyone says they are cool, it will be expensive.

Yes that's true. I have the latest and fastest Macbook pro with all bells and whistles and it's still sweating and sluggish when converting raw in Resolve. Also need to buy few more 64GB memory cards as one is full after couple of flights. Missing space left indicator really is a bummer, really hope it will be added in future firmwares.
I don't do editing normally myself, so i just convert to prores or h264 for editing and give RAW:s for grading and pp.

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

Here my first test (really not more) with the Blackmagic on Zenmuse:

it is a modded Z15N, the BlackMagic Pocket with the Olympus 14mm pancake, prores and added some "auto contrast" so see something but the fog.

best regards
Ferdinand

Quinton

Just got a mailshot tonight from the place where I usually buy my camera gear from regarding memory cards, and it might be useful to anyone located in the UK and using the BMPCC.
Seems like a pretty good deal, and you could guarantee these are the real legit ones..

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/sandisk_sdsdxpa-032g-x46

£55.92 inc VAT

32GB may be a bit faster than the 64GB ones, at least that is what I have noticed with CF cards.

Quinton

I think you will not be happy with 32GByte you will have to change after every flight.

Is that such a bad thing?
Change lipos/change sdcard..offload get ready for next flight.
This isn't a bad price..personally for flying I would rather have 2x 32GB than a single 64GB if they are the same price.
Of course its different of you are trying to shoot documentaries or something.

Actually that has got me thinking...Where exactly is the sd card loaded on the BMPCC is it easily accessible without having to move anything?

Quinton

It is a bit less than 4Gbyte a minute, so 9min -> 36Gbyte in Raw
ProRes is about half of it

Hmmm yes I see what you mean, you really need to pick your shots...no good just starting recording then see what you get.
I hate cameras..there's always a better one just around the corner :)

Quinton

Also just found this review of the BMPCC
Probably the best review I have seen yet of it, 20 mins but once you start watching you will finish it..and I see the sdcard slot is underneath.

Love the look of this camera, and I was almost going to buy it, but think I will wait for a while longer just to see how things pan out.
I have to pick up a new 24mm lens for my 5D on Monday for the Zenmuse, last thing I needed was another 24mm lens.

Av8Chuck

Thanks Quinton, that's 20 minutes of my life I won't get back. You were right, once you start you won't want to stop watching it.

It is an interesting camera but I too think I'll wait to see what improvements are made to it and what other new camera's have to offer.

the pocket is my personal favorite
all the flaws it has are no issue for aerials
it takes time to make it work, but every camera does
in the end I have a super light camera, beautiful quality, remote over lanc, power over flight battery, hdmi out and converter= high quality sd signal with a clean picture

here are my first tests

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
the pocket is my personal favorite
all the flaws it has are no issue for aerials
it takes time to make it work, but every camera does
in the end I have a super light camera, beautiful quality, remote over lanc, power over flight battery, hdmi out and converter= high quality sd signal with a clean picture

here are my first tests

Absolutely gorgeous!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
So looking at the size and weight, with a Lumix lens on it, the BMPC looks like it could work in a gimbal designed for the NEX5N.
Thoughts? I have a really nice Hexacrafter gimbal for my NEX5's... Hmmmmm