Best F550 Flight Power & Prop Combination??

thehatguy

My other vice is scale RC Helis. I fly a UH1D and an AS350. The hex power dynamics are the opposite of what I expect from the helis. My scale ships require much more power at hover than in forward flightwhere they benefit from translational lift. On the other hand the multirotors seem to have more parasitic drag that would become a factor in forward flight.

That comment makes no sense.

John

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
That comment makes no sense.

John

Hi John - scale RC ships (and real helicopters) do require considerably more power to hold altitude at hover than they do in forward flight. In hover, lift is limited to that generated by the blades spinning around the mast. In forward flight additional lift (called translational lift) is gained as the entire rotor disc passes forward through the air. As a helicopter transitions from hover to forward flight the pilot must roll off power, collective pitch, or both, or accept a climb. Transitioning from forward flight back to hover requires added power, collective pitch, or both, or accept a descent. Kloner had just stated, and posted video proof, that his quad consumed power in just the opposit manner - more to fly around than to just hover. I was amazed.

My comments regarding parasitic drag were simply speculation on my part as to what might cause the multirotors to consume power in a manner opposite to what I expected. Surely those multiple rotor discs also experience translational lift.:confused: One reason may be that nothing about a multirotor, other than the spinning props, is designed for flight. There is a lot of structure and add ons like cameras, etc, that produces drag but does not aid in producing lift (parasitic drag). That drag is dormant in a hover, but begins to eat power as the multirotor enters directional flight.

Hope that clears up my earlier comments.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

To tall that is certainly interesting to think about. i always chalked up the added power needed with forward flight on a MR to...the SRH blade makes for 1 big wing generating lift. instead of the numerous props on a MR. As the heli moves forward more lift is generated from said wing. Not sure I explained that right but in my head it sort of makes sense :)

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
I'll try 4S power with the 10 inch props, and report back.

kloner - I tried the 4S - 10 inch Graupner combination this morning. Switching from ATI to Manual mode while in hover produced no tendency to climb or descend. The ship held altitude at mid stick in all modes. Manual mode required frequent minor adjustments but always around center stick.

There were light breezes, no more than 10mph. I tweaked the gains in flight and she flew crisp but fairly stable. I held a motor just after landing. It was warmer than I had experienced before, but I was able to hang on (my field expedient heat sensor). The flight was a seven minute mix of hover and slow directional flight.

The 4S 5800 mah Lipo is charging now. I'm anxious to see what 7 minutes of flight consumed.

Added: Charge complete. The flight consumed 3300 mah in seven minutes of flying. With a target of 4600 mah I can fly 9-1/2 minutes and still leave 20% in the 5800 mah Lipo. :)

It looks like this may be the best combo for me. I really appreciate the mentoring.

Jon

ovnilab

RE: the video - I love the hawk checking out your ship at 9:38. Given the WA FOV of the camera that had to have been [U said:
very[/U] close.

And it appears as if the hawk intentionally keeps it's wings level as it glides in (in fighter jet angle of attack!) so it can get as stable a look as it can at the "UFO" in it's midst, before flapping again to gain some lost airspeed during observation phase of it's flight!

VERY cool!

ovnilab

Hi everyone

I'm new to the board and here is my challenge. I'd like to get what everyone want's really, as much time in the air as possible!

So can you all offer any advice on how to get maximum flying time ie; best battery/prop config? Below is my current config.

1. My DJI F 550 total weight with NO battery is: 1.2 pounds.

2. Stock motors hat ship w/the 550 ARF kit are Stator size: 22x12mm
KV: 920 rpm/V. with stock 30amp ESC's

3. Props are "Slo Flyer" APC 10" x 3.8

4. My current battery is a "Lightning Power" 200 Series 5000mAh
Avail here: http://www.lightningpower.com/product_p/lp200-5523.htm
Discharge rating: 55C
Size: (L) 7.692” (W) 2.04” (H) .88”
Weight: 15.02 ounces = 425.81 grams
Max continuous discharge: 55C(275.0A)
Max Burst discharge: 110C(550.0A)

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]When flying with just one of these on board im getting almost 5 minutes max when the voltage starts reading 11.1 (on board telemetry readings) and I have to bring the ship down. This test flight result was while the ship was flying in GPS altitude hold mode while flying a 16 way point auto flight pattern. Had to abort at way point 13 as on board battery voltage started reading 11.2! When to "manual flight mode" and landed the ship. [/FONT]

What can I do to get maximum time in the air. I am a total beginner in the hobby.

I'm running a YS-X6 Flight controller.

Thanks in advance!
Lo

kloner

Aerial DP
That's wild. the way to get mileage is to not lean it over too far. Can you turn down how fast it goes to them waypoints?

Do you have a charger like an icharger, fma, anything that reads internal resistance?

what kinda amp draw do you see in telementry when it hovers? what about when it flies forward?

ovnilab

Hi,

I will have to check/record amp draw in hover / flight modes next time im in the air. Hopefully today.

That's wild. the way to get mileage is to not lean it over too far. Can you turn down how fast it goes to them waypoints?

Do you have a charger like an icharger, fma, anything that reads internal resistance?

what kinda amp draw do you see in telementry when it hovers? what about when it flies forward?

kloner

Aerial DP
i had to go look but heres what i got and get. i fly a quad, has 2814 motors, yours should be 2212, it is 2lbs 7.4 oz without a battery and i fly a 4000 mah 4s pack, weighs 14.6 oz. AUW 3lbs 6 oz and that's my lite one. when it hovers, i get 20 amp draw, when i fly it, get 60 amp draw in gps mode max, 70 amp draw in atti mode max and 100 amp in manual mode, most i've seen and i don't use it much but that was wide open and what i though straight forward from what could tell. for the most part, when it had a gps nav osd onboard it did 60mph. like a car, there are varrying amp draws to how fast you go that make mileage or not. i can hover this thing for like 12 minutes or fly it 5. when i go to 8000mah of 4s, i can fly 9 minutes, but i bet it'd hover 20+ minutes. i'd slit my wrists in boredom, but it'd do it.

This is running 1000kv motors on 8x5 prop. i can do it on 9x5 but the amps go up and i loose stability.