Battery size for Rx base station?

Rick~K

Free Bird
I been looking at different type of power sources for my base, I just have my goggles and one Rx right now, but soon I want to add a 2nd Rx and diversity Rx and tracking. What size/type power source are you running? I'm looking at 3s LiPo's.

Thanks!

kloner

Aerial DP
I run 1550 mah 3s just because that's what i have a bunch of. Doesn't use much at all. Usually change out the pack every day, but it's barely used any of it. Anything more than 2200 would be overkill. I've read from ibcrazy that he recomends using the power from a car and using the vehicle as a reflector keeping the antenna low

026%20%28775x1024%29_595.jpg

I found myself needing all my lipos to fly with one day, and so I wanted to give up having to use them. I use a 19" Vizio TV and 2 Vrx's with diversity for now, so I wanted more amps anyway. I started looking at motorcycle batteries but they are really expensive, so I poked around and found 12v gel-cell alarm system batteries at Home Depot for half the price of a similar MC battery. I think mine was like $35 for a 7 AH battery, and I just mounted it inside my converted tackle box I use as a tool box with two gold banana plug/clamp on speaker terminals on the outside of it. I put a switch on it to keep the terminals from being "hot" during transport. I also spaced the terminals far enough apart that my clamps can't short against the exposed parts of the terminals.

View attachment 5434

This might be overkill, but it's as cheap or cheaper than a much smaller lipo. The gelcell just lays on its side inside the small side compartment of the tackle box, and I charge it through the jacks.

John

Attachments

• Ground station power.jpg
    Ground station power.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 384