Battery Monitoring

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to see what you all are doing for monitoring your batteries during flight. I'm new to the hobby and am still not entirely sure how to set up my TX so that I can monitor battery life.

I am currently running:

DJI F450 Naza
Spektrum DX7s
Spektrum AR8000
3s 5000 MaH

My flight time really varies depending on how hard I'm pushing the quad but I've been able to get up to 20 minutes out of it with mostly just hovers and slight movement.

The problem is that when it runs out of battery it takes a pretty sudden decrease in battery power and comes down kind of quick. I'm sure I could adjust this in the Naza settings but am not really sure how to monitor the batter during flight. Any ideas?

vislaw

I highly recommend the Quanam telemetry system. For $50 it's well worth the money. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10343

I have it set with an overall voltage alarm and two alarms when any cells fall to 3.6 and then 3.7. I also have a timer on the tx so that I can monitor flight duration. You most definitely do NOT want to take your batteries below 20% capacity. I have used the WKM voltage protection on occasion but have found that having the realtime battery status is much better than relying on the LED warnings.

mailman35

ive only ever run my batterys to between 17-20% you are going to greatly affect the life of the cells by running them dry like that.

Efliernz

Pete
+1 for the Quanum.

I made / sold over 600 low volt alarms (with lights and buzzers) for electric helis over the last 6 years but even I have replaced my own system with the Quanum with current measuring.

Pete

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Thanks for the heads up guys. Any thoughts on the TM1000 from Spektrum? I noticed that my DX7S has telemetry on it. It would be an easy / fairly cheap add on.