Basics of Setting up Eagletree elogger and OSD PRO on a multi-rotor

I just picked up an eagle tree elogger and OSD pro. I am setting it up on a FPV quad running on 4s. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the basics of setting this thing up on my multirotor? Any how-to's out there?

First questions:
These might seem supper basic, but I have not found any good info for multirotor applications. I have only used the HoverflyPro OSD.

1) Do I hook it up between my power distribution harness and the battery? It says ESC, but I am guessing I need it to run between batteries and all ESCs. I may have blown it by ordering the 100amp version instead of 150amp, although this is just for an FPV quad carrying a gopro.

2) Should I run the throttle through the elogger if I have the OSD Pro which looks like it collects the throttle information?

3) I purchased the elogger with Deans, should I take them off and use EC5 on leads instead?

I sure I will have more questions, but this is a start.

kloner

Aerial DP
1) yes. if it's high amp draw and a paralel battery run it between one battery and the distro board

2)you won't run any of the throttle, ail, ele, rud through any of it. that is all for return to home and it's not multi rotor supported, yet

3)put on whatever connectors your gonna use, the out to esc can just be hard wired to your distro board with no plug on that side

the current sensor thing does all the mah data, amp draw, voltage, etc. The sattelite module collects your speed, location, distance from home, direction to home arrow, etc. The barometer cleans up the altitude gauge alot if you care. not really a necesity, but if the sat altitude is shown, know if jumps up and down more than reality all the time. if you were gonna care about speeds especialy falling kinds of speeds needs a pitot speed tube, the thing doesn't measure falls very well without it. again, an extra

this is the official thread for osd pro support. if i or my friends don't know, Eagle Tree steps in and fills in the blanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016981&page=69

These are all i use, there on 5 rigs of mine, love em

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
guys, I'm using them too but on my bench for a test stand. Any idea how to make the readings stop jumping around? The amps readout will jump from 4.3 to 5.25 (for example) when the motor's running and stable.

Thanks,
Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
there is an option for number smoothing i think they call it, is that turned off? might be called averaging, adjusted from the interface software

in my experience it's a short when they jump around alot, esp at idle. it can be a winding and motor screw, i've had it be a magnet pop loose from a barrel. Heres a live feed flight captured on the ground so it shows an eagle tree in action

Last edited by a moderator:

Confused..... I am going to be hooking this up to a 4s battery. How do I power my 12v camera when hooked up to the OSD Pro? Do I need to run the power to the camera through a BEC? The Vx transmitter can handle 4s, but I don't think the camera can.

Thanks for that. I have these items around so will add them. My little FPV quad is getting crammed with gear and I don't even have a gopro on it yet. I might have to bump up to some 2814s I have sitting around.

I am blown away how many issues I am having with what seems to be such an easy system. So, now I have the 4s battery harness soldered to the ET elogger. I have another wire running from the battery harness (soldered to where the wires are hooked up to the elogger as well) through the step down regulator at 12.2v and a noise filter which is powering both the camera and the VTx. When I plug the e-logger into the computer with the USB, there is a red light and it connects. I updated the firmware on the elogger. If I try to plug in the e-logger with the OSD Pro connected, the elogger light does not come on. There must be a power issue somewhere.The software will also not respond when the OSD is plugged into the elogger. So, I can't seem to get the OSD pro configured and in turn will not get a video signal with the camera running through the OSD (I do get a video signal when camera and VTx are plugged into each other directly). I a just can't seem to get it all to work.

kloner

Aerial DP
you mentioned updating the logger, but nothing else, try going back to the firmware update screen wth everything plugged in. Also make sure the polarity of the plug from osd to et logger is good.

I've literally blown smoke out of this gear and it still work perfect. I'd be surprised if something was damaged.

Are you using rssi input?

Yeah, everything seems correct. Triple checked. OSD PRO is not recognized for some reason.
No RSSI input. I only have GPS so far.

kloner

Aerial DP
if it's not seen in firmware update something is dead... if it is in update but not seen anywhere else, thats not matching firmware.

They have excelent support, but you gotta do it the right way.... with everything plugged in and looking at it all in eagle tree software, hit "help" display file and recorder settings", email support info to eagle tree.......any otehr method gets the back of the line

kloner

Aerial DP
sorry your having so many problems.

your possitive the top and bottom 4 way outlets are plugged in proper? might post a pic just in case... might open up firmware updater with everything plugged in and wiggle wires, note if osd pro shows up and turns off doing so. that is the first place a part shows up...... if it's a wire thing, just replace the wires would save a bunch of time, if it's the actual unit your stuck. There turnaround is pretty fast

this should lead to a blown out osd pro,,, is it new? if so and never worked, your dealer is your fastest fix. if it worked then died or is used then eagle tree is your only hope.

I finally got a working OSD Pro plugged in. The other unit must have been faulty out of the box. I can't believe between the E-logger V4, OSD Pro and GPS that there is no Artificial Horizon. Do I really have to add the Guardian Stabilizer for that? This is getting out of control the amount of fluff eagle tree has to get basic OSD. This is just a rant, but while I know Eagle Tree has advance functions, I just want a basic osd without overflowing my heli with sensors and wires.

kloner

Aerial DP
i've never used AH, tried it at first but it blocks the view...... the sensor is very small, but yea you would need it.

it needs a barometer too to get the altitude this smooth..... I just heat shrink them into a little package and stick it all in

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I finally got a working OSD Pro plugged in. The other unit must have been faulty out of the box. I can't believe between the E-logger V4, OSD Pro and GPS that there is no Artificial Horizon. Do I really have to add the Guardian Stabilizer for that? This is getting out of control the amount of fluff eagle tree has to get basic OSD. This is just a rant, but while I know Eagle Tree has advance functions, I just want a basic osd without overflowing my heli with sensors and wires.

There is other cheaper simpler options, perhaps one of those will do what you want. I would like it to be a little simpler but having multiple modules does let you place them in the best spot for best performance.

Pete

atomichead

Hi Kloner:

Is the distance shown at the bottom in feet? If so, you got a good mile+ out of the video RX/TX. What system are you using and with what antennas? Is the speed from the GPS or do you have the airspeed module?

Don

kloner

Aerial DP
it is in feet..... use all immersion ezuhf and lawmate 2.4 video. that's just the gps module doing airspeed, but a barometer on the altitude

atomichead

Thanks for the reply.

So if you purchase an airspeed module it comes with an pitot tube? And if you have the module and set your DJI Naza to Home Lock, airspeed will be incorrect as the nose position becomes moot, right?

kloner

Aerial DP
I wouldn't worry about a pitot tube on a multi rotor and i wouldnt recomend using the return to home on a multi rotor. They have a full flight controller and osd that's all one unit coming out soon that would be the one to use in that case. This one is nice for on screen nav, shows current draws, shows the mah, shows the radio signal strength like a ezuhf has.... all that just keeps ya out of trouble and is above and beyond what djis osd has to offer......