Basic Maintenance and Cleaning

subpar

I'm known to be quite anal about my things. Regardless, I have noticed after a handful of flights, grass and dust from rotor wash etc is starting to find its way in and around every crevasse. What is the common practice for both ease and time to clean? I was thinking something like canned air? Thanks!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just make sure you don't blow debris further into where it's not meant to be (tops of motors come to mind). That's a common problem with metal machines, metal flakes getting blown in instead of out. A brush might work well to dust off the easy stuff.

Good question though. Hopefully some of the pros will chime in.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
You have to clean them!! Damn!!

Yes you do need to be careful with the motors, brushless motors are thankfully not too worried by a bit of dust and the bearings used these days in quality motors are reasonable dust resistant so do be careful with any high pressure air blowing more in than off.

The rest of the machine is pretty open to wiping and brushing.

Pete

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Best thing is try and not get dust and grass in there in the first place!

I use take off and landing tables. When working from my van I have a large plastic folding table but when lugging I have an aluminium camping table. These are invaluable especially in dusty conditions where that perfect flight and WOW shot can be ruined by a glob of dust on the lens deposited there on take off.

As for cleaning baby wipes are good, they grab the dust rather than blow it or brush it else where..

Pre-flight day checks should be carried out and then every flight things like prop nuts etc should be checked.

Other maintenance is essencial. If the copter has been built by a pro they should have written a maintenance schedule which should be followed.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator: