Aeronavics / Droidworx AV200 or AV200 Repair Kit Assembly Guide

Hello all!

I have an AV200 that I picked up on the cheap because it had been wrecked (quite badly) by the seller. I bought and assembled an AV200 repair kit, and I feel like I ALMOST have a like-new AV200!

But the thing is: the roll motion will occasionally (often) get out of its tracks. Or at least it feels like it does.

I have tried to attach some (iPhone) photos that show the way the camera cage sits on the spacer/roller parts. Notice how on one side the camera tray is not sitting in the 'groove' where it belongs?

Are there supposed to be two washers between the Roll Spacer and the Main Side Plate as I have done? :confused:

When I try to download the assembly guide from the AV200 page on the PhotoHigher web site, I am met with a note saying that I am not authorized to download it.

I feel so lucky to have this gimbal, which is really outside of my price range! That is, as I mentioned - I got it on the cheap. But I want so badly to get it working right so I can start switching the focus of my hobbby from "tweaking the bird" to "editing video"!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 289

Dronebuilder no washers on the rollers. However each roller should have two small aluminium spacers that fit on top of the roller bearing at each end of the roller. The spacer only protrudes by a fraction and mates with the inner face of the main frame. I will do some pics and post them. If you have any bits that can't be straightened out let me know I may have spares.

Regards

andrew

Hey thanks Andrew, pics would be great! I kinda wonder if maybe I do not have the correct parts installed.

Specifically, the part about interfacing with the main frame plates. That is, I get the feeling that one half of the roll motion is relatively smooth while the other half has a lot of resistance. This makes me think that maybe the roll spacers are not perfectly parallel to each other, or not perfectly perpendicular to the frame plates.

I have ordered some new V3 roll spacers, new "roll spacer washers", and main frame plates from Photohigher's web site, but I must admit that I won't know how to assemble the parts! I emailed PH this morning to ask them to fix the link to the AV200 assembly guide.

Anyway, once again, pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

DroneBuilder

Drone Builder.

I would start by checking that the roll cage assembly is true and with the roll servo loose and gear wheel off start with main frame on a bench pointing up. Insert the two top rollers then the roll cage then add the two remaining rollers. You can adjust the rollers slightly to have a small grip / friction on the roll cage. once that is done replace the roll gear and adjust the roll servo so that the gear engages without being too tight. See images attached. Hope this helps. I will be ringing photohigher this evening so will also try and get assembly diagrams.

View attachment 7498View attachment 7499View attachment 7500View attachment 7501View attachment 7502View attachment 7503

Attachments

• Pot End.jpg
    Pot End.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 320
  • Roll Serveo End.jpg
    Roll Serveo End.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Roller Assembly.jpg
    Roller Assembly.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Roller End with Spacer.jpg
    Roller End with Spacer.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 272
  • Roller End.jpg
    Roller End.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Spacer protrusion.jpg
    Spacer protrusion.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 308

Wow!

Thank you! You went to great lengths to help out with those photos. I really appreciate that!

The photos partly confirm my suspicion. That is, your photos show the newer roll spacer design. If you look back at the photos I provided, you may see that I am using the older ones - the ones that do not have the 'groove' cut into the spacer but instead rely upon a gap between the edge of the spacer and the chrome part. I'm hopeful that my recent purchase of new roll spacers and matching 'washers' will solve this issue!

I also think the advice to re-check the assembly (starting from the main frame upside down on the table) is good advice, so I know what I'm gonna do today!

Thanks again for the help!

By the way, if you're on the line with Photohigher tonight, I would also like to know why the price of the XM-8 that I want to buy jumps from $1650usd to $1722usd when I click on checkout?

Best regards!

DroneBuilder

Glad to be of help. As to the Droidworx XM8 are you on the Droidworx site? droidworx.co.nz I have found that if you add options in the configuration part of the site i.e add extended legs, It doesn't calculate the change from the standard config until you add it to the cart. I have the XM8 Extended on my site (best for AV200) and its £1275GBP. Not sure what that works out to be in USD However my stock is in transit at the moment. Can wait to get it all.

Regards

Andrew

vip

From looking at the pics I would take it apart and address the cage. I bought an AV130 on this board from Thomb ,supposed to be a month old :( , and it had the same issue.
The cage itself was bent out of shape. .. It took quite a bit of time to straighten it out but it can be done.
take your time.. I had to completely disassemble it turn it upside down , I worked on the top rollers first, once I had those aligned I installed the bottom ones and kept
bending until I got those aligned.. Pain in the behind.. especially as mine was presented as almost new..

Hows the repair going did you get your parts yet?

All the best

andrew

Wow!

Thank you! You went to great lengths to help out with those photos. I really appreciate that!

The photos partly confirm my suspicion. That is, your photos show the newer roll spacer design. If you look back at the photos I provided, you may see that I am using the older ones - the ones that do not have the 'groove' cut into the spacer but instead rely upon a gap between the edge of the spacer and the chrome part. I'm hopeful that my recent purchase of new roll spacers and matching 'washers' will solve this issue!

I also think the advice to re-check the assembly (starting from the main frame upside down on the table) is good advice, so I know what I'm gonna do today!

Thanks again for the help!

By the way, if you're on the line with Photohigher tonight, I would also like to know why the price of the XM-8 that I want to buy jumps from $1650usd to $1722usd when I click on checkout?

Best regards!

DroneBuilder

Hows the repair going did you get your parts yet?

All the best

andrew

The new parts arrived, and they have made a huge difference in the feel of the gimbal! I followed your advice and tightened up the cage so now there is less (really NO) slop/backlash!

Unfortunately, I decided to hang it from a different bird than what it was on before. This new bird, I found out, has a defective 'decade counter' or ~something~ that causes the roll servo to get all jacked up.

I swapped the FC out for another one, but ran out of daylight to test with! I think I also have a motor or motor bearing going out, because sometimes this bird will make a very, very brief grinding sound that I can tell is coming from one of the motors.

I hoe to post some relatively smooth video here soon! Thanks again for the help!