Autopilot Gains

hover.ch

I'm about to fine tune my autopilot gains.

Current settings for my 6 kg AD-8 are: 240/240/200/200 - 220/220 (Pitch/Roll/Yaw/Vertical - Atti Pitch/Atti Roll).
My AD-8 flies pretty well, apart from a slight roll/pitch oscillation (~1-2 Hz) while moving in Atti or GPS/Atti mode.

I read the manual (chapter 4. Autopilot, STEP1: Basic Parameters) again and again.
However, I don't really understand the difference between the Basic and the Attitude Gains for Pitch and Roll. According to the manual both value pairs have to do with the leveling reaction after you release the stick back to neutral. Is that correct?

Is there any simple and comprehensive explanation of the (difference between the) two gain settings, Basic and Attitude?

luismesas

Not sure, but my intuition says basics are for keeping the multi into air (Any control mode) and attitude are for keeping them in balance by attitude computer.

kloner

Aerial DP
On all my dji rigs, atti set to 80 is most comftorable. the oscilation sounds like too high of gain, lower it 10% at a time. it'll go from oscilating to loose.

hover.ch

I would anticipate that
- basic gains (pitch/roll) control the sensitivity of control stick input while
- attitude gains control the stabilization system sensitivity / responsivness

But if the atti/stabilization system also controls the MR through the same "basic gains", we get a kind of dependency among the two parameter sets.
Probably just another try & error game...

Conclusion: The slow oscillation while moving sideways seems to be a "attitude" gain issue, I assume. Maybe the attitude gains are a little bit too high and hence the stabilization system tries to stabilize too fast/too much.

Does that make sense?

kloner

Aerial DP
From what i've seen, it is usually mechanicaly related when you chase a problem with a gain and nothing changes. An atti gain can't be too low, it is just slower to return to flat after letting go of the stick. high atti gains make a nervous look to the film from on board, lower gains are smoother and less nervous. It is also slow to find self level

I'd drop my atti gains back a tad just so that doesn't make false problems, go back over the mechanical side of the bird. I just had a wobbly wkm that diagnosed out to bolts holding on the motors hitting the motor wires. If changing the manual gains doesn't change oscilations, it's somethng else.

what props you using?

hover.ch

I'm using Graupner 11" props, but I will switch to XOAR wooden propellers (12") soon.

I don't think I have a mechnical issue but it sounds very reasonable that my Ati gains are too high. Originally I left them at 100/100 and I wouldn't have changed that if not suggested by the manual (for a 6100g MR). I will go back from 220/220 to 180/180 and give it another try.