Autopilot ( Gain Settings ) on the Naza with Flamewheel 550

First ... please bear with me... total newbie on Multi rotors.. What's a good starting point on the autopilot ( gains ) . I have them all set at 100% and it hovers OK... not rock solid.. there is some drifting around. Would changing those settings lock it in better ? I was hovering in the garage about 3-4 feet off the ground. would it be better to take it outside and go a little higher ? Does ground effect cause issue with tuning it ? Thanks for the help Joe

kloner

Aerial DP
you want to read the manual about setting the gains....... a bone stock rig does alright at 130 across the manual line and 90 on the atti line. it generaly behaves but yea, there not perfect till your skills to tune em is there. good props goes a long ways there. but if your crashing, good balance of cheaper props is a close second.....

don't fly it around inside, take it outside and get it up head high and look at what it does. Hovering, about any setting works. the gains are more about how much naza flies it versus you, as in forward flight

Tahoe Ed

Joe,

I generally like 145/145/135/150 and 90/90 with 30% expo on the elevator and aileron channels. Yes you need to get out of the prop wash 6 feet up is enough until you get confident enough to crash. Have fun and welcome to the club. If you have any questions, there is always someone here that will answer and help you out.

Cool thanks... yea I was thinking that 3-4 feet was being affected by the prop wash.... so the higher the number the less sensitive it gets ? I'll dial in the expo on the A & E channels also... I was going to do that but wanted to at least hover it tonight LOL It's been cold... snowing and raining here... darn hurricane ! in Ohio ! LOL

Dewster

I test flew my Y6 several times until I was able to get the gains to where I was happy with the flight performance. The Autopilot gains are how the craft will fly itself or react to un-commanded change in flight. So when the wind blows it affects how quickly the craft will stabilize itself.

I flew in a room about the size of a typical garage (not recommended to fly indoors) with the gains set at 100 percent. The rotor wash from the craft caused it to fly all over the place. After increasing the Autopilot gains I found that my craft was not disturbed as much by it's own rotor wash. Even landing in ground effect was smoother with the higher gain setting.

The other gain control settings affect how the craft reacts to your stick commands. Do you want stiff movement (increase the gains) or floaty movement (decrease the gains). I like for the craft to remain stable despite wind, breeze, gusts and command movements to be soft and not so abrupt. It's a balance and a preference to how you want to fly and what you feel comfortable with flying with.

Flying in a room (which is not condoned or recommended) helped me with tuning the gains. The self generated rotor wash bouncing off of the walls allowed me to tune the gains to a point where the craft would remain stable in un-commanded flight. Call it a crazy man's wind tunnel. Hope this makes some sense.

Flying it outside to adjust the gains is a whole world of a lot safer though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: