Are you building a brushless gimbal for large cameras? (diy motor cages for sale)

Vortex thanks for the compliment on our quality :)

With regard to price we feel it more than fair. If you compare ours to the competition of heavy lift cages, you will find our price is about the same. But, we offer a superior product which is quite a bit different than the run-of-the-mill chinese CF plate gimbal cage. Plus you get the bonus of a manufacturer with solid USA based product support.

Neil, The motor cages look very nice but the price is just out there..........

Vortex

Vortex thanks for the compliment on our quality :)

With regard to price we feel it more than fair. If you compare ours to the competition of heavy lift cages, you will find our price is about the same. But, we offer a superior product which is quite a bit different than the run-of-the-mill chinese CF plate gimbal cage. Plus you get the bonus of a manufacturer with solid USA based product support.

Hi Neil, I'm presently running 3 CF plate cage gimbals for heavy lift work and am about to start building a 4th which is why I have been following your thread. The CF cages work very well if you spend a bit of time to strip them down and align them properly before you put the gimbal to work.....It's not a big deal if you know what you're doing. The cages run in at around $230 with an 8108 motor, that's around $70.00 for the cage which never seems to cause any trouble.

There's no doubting the quality of your cages as they are beautifully made but my point is why, when the CF cage does the same job at a third of the price.

Regards,

Lance

I have yet to find a decent CF cage for this large size/class of gimbal for $70. The ones we find even direct from Chinese manufacturer (not from a distributor) are in the range of $170 to $250.

To answer your question I will give you an analogy.

Here are two cars. Both of these cars will get you from point A to point B. They are both completely viable options for this purpose. One costs more than the other.

The customer we are marketing towards use these systems for professional video work and often times want the "Pro" look and feel and not the copycat "Hobby gimbal" everyone else has. Some DIY builders are ok using the cheapest they can find because lets face it, this is DIY. While others want something more. These builders are unhappy with the current offerings of production gimbals out there from the big manufacturers for whatever reason and decide to build up their own rig. But they don’t want to skimp on quality in the process... THAT is where Gearhead Machineworks comes in.
Lance, there is nothing wrong with either gimbal builder. Their motivations and desires are just - different.

Hi Neil, I'm presently running 3 CF plate cage gimbals for heavy lift work and am about to start building a 4th which is why I have been following your thread. The CF cages work very well if you spend a bit of time to strip them down and align them properly before you put the gimbal to work.....It's not a big deal if you know what you're doing. The cages run in at around $230 with an 8108 motor, that's around $70.00 for the cage which never seems to cause any trouble.

There's no doubting the quality of your cages as they are beautifully made but my point is why, when the CF cage does the same job at a third of the price.

Regards,

Lance

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Neil, I'm still contemplating one of your cages for my yaw axis. I received my 8017 motor and after looking at it, I'm curious as to (I am ignorant on this) as to the pro's and cons of using something like your cage vs just making a top mount to my vibration plate to the bottom of MR and making a connection to the top arm of my gimbal to the bottom of the motor?

Is there more hanging strength or stability using a cage? Sorry for the dumb question but have never seen a 3rd axis setup in person on anything other than a gopro gimbal.

This is not a dumb question at all!

A proper cage is absolutely required for solid video. The reason is the current options of motors available for the DIY builder (8017 included) are not designed properly for gimbals. What these motors were originally designed for is airplane props. So they are good at holding thrust or "axial" loading. They are not good at holding radial loading. So what happens is you get some flex at the motor shaft which ends up showing in the video footage. You need an external bearing, a rigid outer frame, and tight tolerances between the bearing, bearing bore, and the center hub running through the bearing. This transfers the radial load from the camera/gimbal through the outer bearing/cage and NOT the motor. Holding everything concentric with little to no "runout" or slop in the movement of the motor. The pan motor is the most important axis for a proper cage since this is where the most load is seen. As you move down the gimbal each axis and motor deals with less weight/load. If there is any play in the bearings and shaft of your pan axis 8017 motor the entire gimbal is going to "swing" from that motor. So as your multirotor moves and changes direction the gimbal is going to move in undesirable ways which will show up in your footage.

Neil, I'm still contemplating one of your cages for my yaw axis. I received my 8017 motor and after looking at it, I'm curious as to (I am ignorant on this) as to the pro's and cons of using something like your cage vs just making a top mount to my vibration plate to the bottom of MR and making a connection to the top arm of my gimbal to the bottom of the motor?

Is there more hanging strength or stability using a cage? Sorry for the dumb question but have never seen a 3rd axis setup in person on anything other than a gopro gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator: