Are you building a brushless gimbal for large cameras? (diy motor cages for sale)

I have for sale brand new DIY Brushless Gimbal Motor Cages. These are for use on a DIY gimbal project to hold larger cameras such as the Canon 5D, RED, Sony FS700 etc. The name of our company is Gearhead Machineworks (a division of Gearhead Flicks LLC). You can see our video services website at www.gearheadflicks.com

This new division of our company is designing and building revolutionary and unique products for the DIY gimbal and multirotor market. These motor cages are the first product we have released but we have many more in the works, soon to be released. These motor cages have been under design and development for a good year now and are better than anything else available to the DIY builder currently. We have an ad to these cages on our ebay store but if you buy one from us on this forum we will take off 5% from our sale price of $299. So that is $285 (AND) we will offer free shipping too! These cages come with a return warranty within 30 days if you are not satisfied. Here is all the info on these:

Gearhead Machineworks W.A.S.P. 12 Motor Cage System
There is a revolution going on right now in camera stabilization systems. Brushless gimbal technology is taking over. With the right system, simply amazing performance is possible. Unfortunately, full systems capable of delivering quality footage cost exorbitant amounts of money. But, are they really worth these lofty prices? At Gearhead Machineworks our goal is to bring you the best products for your build at a fraction of the cost. We sell parts and assemblies which allow you to build up your own high end camera stabilization rig. We offer premium products for the DIY market. We thoroughly test our designs in our own gimbal systems. During design and development our engineering team communicates directly with our in house video crew. Each new design is handed to the video crew for testing. Field testing is performed and feedback communicated back to our engineers. This trial by fire approach to engineering results in unparalleled quality and performance for a price you can afford. We have the best designs on the market for your DIY project.

The W.A.S.P. 12 Motor Cage System is the same system we use in our gimbals. It has been through multiple design revisions and months of testing. The centerpiece of this system is an innovative outboard bearing support and super rigid aluminum motor cage design. The purpose is to eliminate flex under load and remove radial runout on the motor’s axis, commonly referred to as “slop”. Machine tolerances used in the mating parts are very tight and the structure itself is very rigid. These machine design characteristics are imperative to produce super smooth video, especially with heavy loads seen using 10-12 LB cameras. This motor support system mounts up to 25mm diameter tube. It is designed to house larger brushless motors. It accepts a number of different motor types. The motor cage has a max camera carry capacity of 12 LBS. The same motor mount system can be used on Pan, Roll, and Tilt axes by selecting which option fits your needs. Please check out our video services website too! Google "Gearheadflicks" to find our website.

W.A.S.P. 12 Motor Cage Feature List:

• Made in the USA
  • Fit, finish, and overall build quality is outstanding
  • Super rigid CNC aluminum cage construction. Aluminum is much more rigid than carbon fiber in torsion and bending experienced by camera gimbals
  • Light weight
  • Unique design giving your rig a PRO look and PRO performance
  • Designed to mate quickly and easily to 25mm diameter carbon fiber tube
  • Innovative external bearing support keeps axis completely slop free
  • Easily install motor of your choice. Designed to fit a variety of large brushless gimbal motors (motor not included)
  • Includes a slot for passing the motor wires through the carbon fiber tube, hidden from view
  • Different options are available to fit your particular gimbal build configuration
  • Tapped holes x 3 located on the rear of the motor mount for affixing things, such as a controller board box or battery tray
  • Tool free single point balance adjustment thumb screw
  • High quality matte black anodized finish
  • All fasteners made of stainless steel for ultimate longevity and corrosion resistance

Technical Specifications:

• Fits the following motors: iPower GBM8028-90T, iPower GBM8017-120T, T-motor GB85-1, Rctimer GBM8108 (New motors are coming out all the time. Contact us if you want to know if a motor not listed here will fit).
  • Motor rear mount hole requirement: 19mm - 43mm hole separation, 3mm screws x 4
  • Motor front mount hole requirement: 35mm hole separation, 3mm screws x 4
  • Motor Thickness (Depth) requirement: 26mm minimum to 28mm maximum with included hardware (thinner motors can be used with additional motor mount spacers)
  • Color: Black Anodized CNC Aluminum
  • Weight capacity: 12 LB Max Camera Weight

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Cant find your ebay store but would be interested in the camlock pitch adjustment tray. Please make it deep enough to handle a 15mm rod system plus cam yeah ;) ;)

Ok. This is actually the next product we are set to release. I'll keep you posted. This is a great tray design. Our prototype gimbals all use it. It has a camera register. So you can quickly remove and re-insert the camera W/O having to re-balance the pitch axis. Camera goes right back in EXACT same spot.

SMP

Great looking forward to it. Would humbly request the vertical pitch balance arms be ridiculously long and you give enough tray movement to accommodate mb/ff/vlocks incl 15mm risers.

Currently our vertical upright design length results in a MAX distance from the camera tray to the pitch axis of rotation of 99mm (3.9"). Is that far enough for your particular application?

Great looking forward to it. Would humbly request the vertical pitch balance arms be ridiculously long and you give enough tray movement to accommodate mb/ff/vlocks incl 15mm risers.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm looking to add a 3 legged (similar to cinestar) 3rd axis setup to my 2 axis gimbal which is used with gh4, gh3, & 5d Mark II.

I've never seen a 3rd axis on larger gimbal in person and having trouble figuring out how to build something strong enough. Probably go with the larger motors on Pan so your new gear looks interesting.

Any chance you have some drawings on a pan motor setup with your new DIY motor mounts?

Sure thing. Ill do what I can. But first, can you tell me if this is for a handheld gimbal or aerial. Are you needing legs coming off the gimbal itself or?

I'm looking to add a 3 legged (similar to cinestar) 3rd axis setup to my 2 axis gimbal which is used with gh4, gh3, & 5d Mark II.

I've never seen a 3rd axis on larger gimbal in person and having trouble figuring out how to build something strong enough. Probably go with the larger motors on Pan so your new gear looks interesting.

Any chance you have some drawings on a pan motor setup with your new DIY motor mounts?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Sure thing. Ill do what I can. But first, can you tell me if this is for a handheld gimbal or aerial. Are you needing legs coming off the gimbal itself or?

It's aerial gimbal. Will probably alter later for handheld or maybe just build another as I sold my steadicam last year in anticipation of using brushless on the ground.

I'm thinking of the legs coming off the gimbal, ie. the legs and gimbal turning together. I think the Cinestar works this way.
I'm not really wanting to add the weight and complexity of retracts. I'm flying at 18 lbs right now and figure 3rd axis w/ new legs will take me to around 20-21lbs which is what I planned for on this build....

I see. There are a number of ways to "skin a cat" with regard to attaching landing gear to a gimbal. Here is what we came up with for attaching landing gear set to our motor cage design. We plan to release this in the coming weeks. Hopefully sooner than later. There are other ways to achieve this same type design though with carbon fiber plate, 25mm tube clamps, 25mm CF tube, and 16mm CF tube for the skids...I can give you advice about how to make something work if you don't want to wait for our aerial landing gear add-on to be released.

It's aerial gimbal. Will probably alter later for handheld or maybe just build another as I sold my steadicam last year in anticipation of using brushless on the ground.

I'm thinking of the legs coming off the gimbal, ie. the legs and gimbal turning together. I think the Cinestar works this way.
I'm not really wanting to add the weight and complexity of retracts. I'm flying at 18 lbs right now and figure 3rd axis w/ new legs will take me to around 20-21lbs which is what I planned for on this build....

jfro

Aerial Fun
Hope this come through, but not 100% sure how this would mount on bottom of my multirotor. Does it all hang off the shaft of the pan motor?

View attachment 19207

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 436

Exactly. I'll explain further with some more pictures today. This method works great for us on our hex prototype. Also, I came up with another configuration to attach 3 legged 'cinestar' style legs to the pan axis cage. This configuration can be achieved using readily available parts on the web and 2 custom cut carbon fiber plates (which we could have made for you). This configuration I show above will take some special CNC cut aluminum parts, but I just wanted to show what is in the works from us.

Below are some pictures of another way to affix legs to our W.A.S.P. 12 PRO MOTOR CAGES. This is a more popular method similar to a 'cinestar' style tri-leg setup. This method looks complicated but really there isn't much to it. ***Please note the legs below aren't pictured joined together with fasteners. Either leg half is just parallel to each other. I did this because it very difficult to model the leg halves joined together in 3D CAD***. It is relatively easy to affix a setup like this to our pan motor cage. The only custom part (which we can make for anyone interested) is the carbon fiber plates pictured below in blue. These just simply bolt onto our cage. All the other parts, 25mm CF tube, 25mm CF tube clamps, fasteners, even CF legs are all available online in various places. If someone so desired we could of course get together all the parts required and sell it all as one set.

jfro to answer your question about how our cage mounts up to a multirotor. Please see the very last picture below. You will see 4 screws exiting the center hub. These screws can be passed through anti-vibration plate and then nuts torqued down on these screws to hold the entire assembly in place. This is a very effective way to join the gimbal to the bird. And because the screws pass up through the inside of the cage its impossible for these screws to back out from vibration. You join the cage to the bird BEFORE installing the motor in the cage. Its easy to install the motor. Takes 3 minutes tops.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I think I follow what you have in the last post. So if I buy one of your motor mounts, it looks like I'd need to cut the 2 blue plates which I do in my shop by printing out the part, adhering it to g10 material and then cutting it on my band saw and drilling on a press.

I use 21.5mm carbon fiber tubes so I'd have to change my top piece to 25mm and then buy some more 25mm tubes for the other 3 arms, 1 for your motor mount and 2 for the other 2 legs. No big deal. Then get maybe 10-12 25mm clamp for the 25mm tubes and attaching the 3 sets of legs, again, I'd cut those from g10...

I'm thinking of buying 1 motor mount for my pan axis. If so, would you supply a pdf file for the 2 blue plates?

Although I'm leaning towards the 3 cinestar legs, I'm still considering your other drawings with just 2 legs. Seems to be a little simpler design.. Any list of the pro's and cons between the 2 methods?

How do we order. Can't find a web site for your parts .

Sounds like a plan. Ill send you a link to my ebay store once I get back to the office here in a bit. Name of the ebay store is gearheadmachineworks. No space between words. On the road now so cant send the link just yet.

Yes if you want to cut the two plates yourself I sure can send you the drawing file in .pdf or .dxf or .dwg. Whichever you prefer...

Ill advise you on your build if you need help along the way. Thats what I am here for. Ill help as much as I can!

I think I follow what you have in the last post. So if I buy one of your motor mounts, it looks like I'd need to cut the 2 blue plates which I do in my shop by printing out the part, adhering it to g10 material and then cutting it on my band saw and drilling on a press.

I use 21.5mm carbon fiber tubes so I'd have to change my top piece to 25mm and then buy some more 25mm tubes for the other 3 arms, 1 for your motor mount and 2 for the other 2 legs. No big deal. Then get maybe 10-12 25mm clamp for the 25mm tubes and attaching the 3 sets of legs, again, I'd cut those from g10...

I'm thinking of buying 1 motor mount for my pan axis. If so, would you supply a pdf file for the 2 blue plates?

How do we order. Can't find a web site for your parts and nor can I find mounts on ebay, although I did find them yesterday on ebay....