MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Arducopter 3.0 on SRHeli Demonstration

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Shot this over the weekend. Pretty good demo of the capability of Arducopter on a helicopter. I'm not happy with the tail control shown, but that is partially due to a bad setting, and partially because it's a 450. And of course, all of this works on multirotors too, and their performance can actually be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

Awesome...floats me boat!
Is that Arducopter 3.0 on APM2.5? or is it the latest APM?
I have an APM2, sitting aside waiting for the right SR.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
That is AC 3.0.1, plus a few mods I have done which I hope will come out with 3.1 soon. And it's running on APM2.5. But I'll be switching to PX4 for development soon.

DennyR

Rob

That is nice, It does all that Naza-H does and a lot more besides. I am getting tempted to try this now that the reliability seems to be there. My helis are in the hangar at the moment so this might be the time to go for it.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Here's the latest:

Denny: Yes, I used to actually warn people against messing around with APM Helis too much. We had a lot of problems. There were the general code bugs, but more importantly, it was very sensitive to high frequency vibration generated when a bearing starts to go bad. Everything could be fine, and then you could have a bearing start to go in-flight and cause a crash. But since we started using the DLPF in the MPU6000, that problem just disappeared. I have discovered some REALLY bad bearings on rebuilds that I didn't know where there, but would have made it totally unflyable in the past. And most of the code bugs have been worked out. The code is now structured much better, so we avoid making new bugs. And we have so many beta test fliers, the system is quite mature now.

I did recently crash my 450 because the APM board had a hardware failure of some sort. But it's a really freak occurrence that could happen on any system. And that board has been crashed hard many times so... Maybe not a surprise.