AP Hexacopter - advice needed

paul_e88

Hey guys,

This is my first hexacopter, actually the first multicopter i am trying to build. I've decided to get into this field by seeing a lot of great aerial videos, made by people who invested a lot of money (unfortunately :nevreness:) and time, but managed to succeed.

Anyway, the final purpose of this hexacopter would be AP and video, with the equipment i already have - a GoPro and a Sony Nex-5.
It will probably take a lot of time to learn everything, so i don't expect to get there in less than a year. ( i mean mounting them on the frame, not actually making quality videos :nevreness: ) This would be made later with an AV130.

Not having too much money to invest in this, i am trying to make a hexacopter which initially would be good for learning but after a while can be upgraded with a gimbal and a camera and be used for AP. I've been reading a lot on the specialized forums and have come up with the next configuration:

DJI Naza + GPS (already ordered)
SK-40A SimonK Firmware ESC 40A (already ordered)
Mikrokopter Hexa XL

The problem is i don't know what engines to go for, the Mikrokopter Hexa XL kit comes with MK3638 engines, but i guess that they won't be compatible with the ESCs?
I'm looking for alternatives, anything that can lift at least a maximum extra of 750g (nex-5 + 16mm= 340g, AV130= 410g) and is compatible with the ESCs and the frame.

I will start posting pictures the minute the DJI arrives.
Until then, any advice regarding the motors or even a better frame would be welcomed.
Thanks.

jforkner

Couple key questions:
  1. Have you flown R/C and/or MCs before?
  2. Is there some reason you want to start with a hexa?

If the answer to #1 is No/No or Yes/No, I'd suggest getting something like an F450 and learn to fly a MC before you worry about hanging a camera on it. Besides at some point, you can mount your GoPro to it Bottom line...I'd recommend easing into the hobby.

Jack

kloner

Aerial DP
at least a cheaper frame and throw away motors. the esc's will make it through most crashes. I'd get a f550 if you had to have a hex and get ready to learn how to fix it. That frame you mention will drive a poor guy to the street crashing like your gonna

sim_io

at least a cheaper frame and throw away motors. the esc's will make it through most crashes. I'd get a f550 if you had to have a hex and get ready to learn how to fix it. That frame you mention will drive a poor guy to the street crashing like your gonna

Unless its a crash in the drink, then everything else will be mostly ok except the ESCs lol :D

paul_e88

Well, i've flown a 450 size heli before. The reason i want to try a hexa is because, from what i know, it's more stable than a quad and can lift more. So better for AP.

I checked the F550, but from what people say, it's not a great frame because it flexes. And anyway i don't think it was a good frame for later on, but i'm sure it's good for learning.
The problem is i want to try and learn on a more capable frame on which to make a couple of upgrades after a year to make it work for AP. The F550 now plus a later upgrade to a new frame, ESCs, motors means a lot of money, which i'd like to use as best as possible. I'm sure i can try learning at low altitudes without bashing anything, at least at the beginning.

So please, if you can help me with an advice regarding a good platform - i mean frame (any frame with the price around the MK Hexa XL) and engines (max 65$ each) - that go well with what i already have - Naza + GPS and 6 x Rctimer SimonK 40A ESCs - it would be much appreciated.
I'm having second thoughts about the Hexa XL because it looks too simple and rudimentary for that amount of money. It's just aluminum tubes with GRP center plates and a couple of screws..

I forgot to mention that making a simple calculation, i concluded that the Hexa must be capable of lifting a maximum of 1.2 kg. (2.6 lbs)
That would be the Nex 5 + 16 mm lens, AV130 gimbal or similar, batteries, cables and the FPV equipment.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks for the advice until now.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
If your a proficient srh flyer, go for it. just realize your gonna go through gear no matter what, a f550 with $20 motors is the cheapest $150 your gonna see in one small mishap with what you want to buy. The carbon frames are nice, but man they crash really hard and break alot more parts than a f450-f550. I've LVC'd hundreds of feet up twice in one day and been able to fly for the weekend, only downside was jello in the cam. I started last year with a 450 arf, could have considered it totaled by second day i had it learning how this stuff works. I came fresh off flying scale single rotor models, like at Scale Masters. Was just flying hard core 3d planks, well hardcore in my eyes. Always drew a crowd, but the dam multi rotor is a learning curve. once you crash once, they shake and vibrate to make jello in your filming. when you build a model for $200 versus $2k it's an easier pill to swallow learning how to fly it. They also hold there value pretty well so if you did get it, fly it like an ace, it's easy to move and not loose a whole lot of money over it.

you can still get whatever you want on esc's and flight controller. unless you really suck those should make it through most adventures. Disposables are arms, props and motors. I crashed a bunch off the get go, then by the time i got to FPV i never reall crashed again. i've got models with thousands of flight sin a few months on em that are flawless, and that sure makes maintaining it easier.

simulators also help shorten the crash period. helps to get used to what to look at for orientation

I've got a carbon 650mm hexa, 2814 motors, flies go pros to nex 5's without a gimble and is 3.2 to 4 kilo ready to fly. it's a seriously big rig.

www.hexacrafter.com

Also, Bart the owner here has a nice frame that can go a quad to a xy8. pm bartman about them

Last edited by a moderator: