Aeronavics / Droidworx Anyone tried the new Flame 80A T-Motor Esc's on U7 motors?

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Palin,
I also just wish to provide a bit of additional advice...... with U7 & T-80a....
The combination works very well.... and yes, the ESC do get warmer than most are familiar with, but as long as you are using 17" or less props we have never seen a failure....the ESC are designed to operate at high temperatures.... I do like the heat sink modification made by Pumpkin and it has been passed onto T-motor for a suggested improvement to reduce ESC temperatures....
It is also VERY important that the power distribution system used is able to contend with the MASSIVE amp draw that these motor will peak to when motors react to instantly speeding up & slowing down....
This is were many miscalculate... including some very smart engineers I know.... Most Power distro systems will starve this ESC/ Motor combinations.....

Palin

Palin,
I also just wish to provide a bit of additional advice...... with U7 & T-80a....
The combination works very well.... and yes, the ESC do get warmer than most are familiar with, but as long as you are using 17" or less props we have never seen a failure....the ESC are designed to operate at high temperatures.... I do like the heat sink modification made by Pumpkin and it has been passed onto T-motor for a suggested improvement to reduce ESC temperatures....
It is also VERY important that the power distribution system used is able to contend with the MASSIVE amp draw that these motor will peak to when motors react to instantly speeding up & slowing down....
This is were many miscalculate... including some very smart engineers I know.... Most Power distro systems will starve this ESC/ Motor combinations.....

Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate the advice. I'm using two Aeronavics PDB 8's connected in parallel. Should do the job.

Fadi

This reply is late, but if anyone read this post i will give a conclusion from my experience, i bought a U7 420kv motors with Flame 80a ESC, then before trying it i read this post and i afraid my comb will not work as it is mentioned here, i went to one of the distributors and ask him about if U7 and Flame 80a is compatible, he bring the catalog from T-Motor and he showed me the recommendation ESC for U7 and it was [T80a and Flame 80a], this is the recommendation from T-Motor.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
It is a bit more complicated.....
When 1st released, many jumped on the Flame 80 ESC thinking it would help with high heat many were experiencing with the T80.
They did this just guessing that the Flame 80 was compatible, but T-Motor responded to those having problems with the Flame 80 & U7 combo by saying that the Flame 80 was NOT for use with the U7, but was specifically designed for the U8 & U10. They further went on to state that the T80a was the ONLY ESC that they recommended for use with the U7 motor.
Fast forward a year....
A user on this forum posted that they had bought the Flame 80 for use with the U7 and when told by me that it was not compatible, they e-mailed T-Motor who then stated.... "the flame 80 ESC is now for use with the U7".
As a T-Motor dealer and at point with this issue with T-Motor, I was shocked by this statement as it went against everything they had stated up until that date.. about 6 weeks ago. I had the issue put directly to T-motor through our distributor & they replied stating "the flame 80 ESC is now for use with the U7".
We have requested test documentation, and were advised that none was available with no further explanation of how it is now able to be used with the U7 other than a statement that the firmware on newer models has been changed.
I am working with our distributor to conduct a Flame 80 / U7 bench test, but it has not yet happened.
The advise I have continued to provide to my clients is to stick with the T80a as it has a proven record with our aircraft and we have no data to support the flame 80 use. Additionally, it appears that there are two versions of the Flame 80, one that is not compatible & one that is supposed to be compatible, with no way of knowing which you have. Any dealer selling old stock is most likely selling the old firmware that is not compatible with the U7.
This is what I know, I hope it helps.
From what little we have heard from a couple of tests, there is NO difference in operating temperature between the NEW Flame 80 and the standard T80... so at this point I see no reason to pay nearly twice the price from the Flame 80.