Aeronavics / Droidworx Anyone tried the new Flame 80A T-Motor Esc's on U7 motors?

Wanted to get some feedback on the Flame 80A esc on the U7 motors 490 kv or the 420 kv? Looking at using them with a 6S battery and 18"inch CF props.

Pumpkinguy

A crap load of guys preordered them for the U7's only to find out they are not compatible. Don't ask me why because I have no idea. The t80a is the only esc recommended for use with the U7.
Furthermore, I hear the combination you mention, u7-490 6s and 18" props will just about melt the heat shrink off the t80a. There are solutions that work very well such as adding a heat sink and cooling fan to each esc.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
A crap load of guys preordered them for the U7's only to find out they are not compatible. Don't ask me why because I have no idea. The t80a is the only esc recommended for use with the U7.
Furthermore, I hear the combination you mention, u7-490 6s and 18" props will just about melt the heat shrink off the t80a. There are solutions that work very well such as adding a heat sink and cooling fan to each esc.

I'm dealing with that now. My U7 490 / t80a rig is a heat generating machine...
Hmmm fans....

Pumpkinguy

I'll post pics in a week. Waiting on parts. I have 1" x 2" × 3/8 tall aluminum heat sinks that will be bonded to the esc with thermally conductive adhesive. Then the 25mm (1") fan will go on top.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I'll post pics in a week. Waiting on parts. I have 1" x 2" × 3/8 tall aluminum heat sinks that will be bonded to the esc with thermally conductive adhesive. Then the 25mm (1") fan will go on top.

I'm getting these today... I think Micro Center has Heat sync's and thermal sticky... Heck yea!

Sounds like something worth trying. Any links to images that one can use as reference? Also what are your thoughts on putting the ESCs under the prop wash? There are talks about induction issues due to longer power cables which I am trying to understand at this - any help on that front would be really helpful as well.

Pumpkinguy

Sounds like something worth trying. Any links to images that one can use as reference? Also what are your thoughts on putting the ESCs under the prop wash? There are talks about induction issues due to longer power cables which I am trying to understand at this - any help on that front would be really helpful as well.

I was researching this yesterday. There are mixed opinions on the forums. Some say to add a capacitor or 2 to the power lines to offset the extra length of power wires. A low ESR capacitor like the rubycon zl series.

Attachments

• gfutc-de.pdf
    308.2 KB · Views: 520

Palin

I'm just calibrating my Flame T80A ESCs on my Skyjib, and the throttle calibration doesn't seem to store. I put the throttle stick to full, apply power to receiver and ESC, wait for the 2 beeps, put the stick to the bottom, another beep, then it works fine..... Except. When I switch the receiver & ESC off, then on, I get rapid ESC beeps, instead of one beep. It's doing it for all 8 ESCs. The end point on my 14SG for throttle is 100/100. Any ideas folks? Thx.

Pumpkinguy

Here's what i did with mine. I added 25x50x10mm heat sinks. I also have 25mm fans that i will add if I'm not happy with heat dissipation.
View attachment 24795
Use a razor to remove heat sink tubing off aluminum heat sink.
View attachment 24800
You'll be able to pry the stock heat sink off easy. Use a fingernail to pry up.
View attachment 24799
Roll back the "puddy", then sand to help adhesive grab and clean with alcohol. Also clean 3 copper bars on the board with alcohol.

I then mixed up a tiny bit of thermally conductive, electrically insulated adhesive and put a tiny strip on each copper bar. (forgot to take picture)

I then stuck to back on and applied pressure with a spring loaded clamp. I had a big clamp so I was able to clamp all 6 at once.

Then I stuck the aftermarket heat sink using its own very thin adhesive backed sticker.
View attachment 24797

Attachments

• 20150525_111225_resized(1).jpg
    20150525_111225_resized(1).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 400
  • 20150525_111245_resized.jpg
    20150525_111245_resized.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 20150525_114930_resized.jpg
    20150525_114930_resized.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 488
  • 20150525_111229_resized.jpg
    20150525_111229_resized.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 353

Palin

My U7's are screeching on my skyjib x4 xl, A2, Flame T80A. Anyone experienced this? Is there a fix? Is sounds like metal against metal but I could be wrong.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Palin...
The Flame 80a ESC are not for use with the U7..... This has been stated by T-motor....
The Flame 80a series ESC are specifically designed for use with the U8 & U10.
The firmware is specific to these motors....
It sounds like you are have timing issues as the ESC timing & firmware is for a HV high pole motor.
Please consult T-Motor directly, but this is what they released to us when the Flame 80a ESC was released....
For U7.... the correct ESC is the T80a....

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Palin,
I cannot speak to the website of the vendor you site, but rather speak with information sent directly to me from T-motor. HexaCrafter works very closely with T-motor and often are the 1st to test/ report on issues with their products. When news of the Flame 80a ESC release were published, many ASSUMED (including T-motor dealers) that it was released as a solution to the high ESC temperature issues the U7-490kva motors were having with 18" props. We were informed fairly early on that this was not the case, but rather the Flame 80a was designed for the U8 & U10 EXCLUSIVELY. You should contact T-motor directly should you not believe me. Also, once you have confirmed what has been stated above, you then can take the matter up with your vendor if they were/are recommending the Flame 80 with the U7....

Palin

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Now I understand the context of your relationship with T-motors and the fact that you're a dealer (sorry, I missed your signature earlier!), that's good enough for me. Damn! Damn! Damn! I was hoping it might be just a timing issue, or the motors might run in to work it off. :(