Anyone care to help troubleshoot my Tx/Rx?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Cabe,
Is there an industry secret that a person has to display a sufficient level of torment before these little secrets can be bestowed upon him?
WOULD YOU BELIEVE>>>>
I was sold a receiver and two antennae, both with SMA Female connectors. Also included were two RG-174 (nevermind that the wire isn't appropriate for the frequency) antenna cables with SMA Male connectors, so far so good. But they also said in the online listing that adapters were necessary and I bought two RP-SMA Male to RP-SMA Male adapters. Not knowing what purpose they served I put them in anyway and they screwed me up even more!!!!!! It's no wonder nothing worked!!!! Somehow I got some signal yesterday with an RP-SMA-male connector mashed up against the SMA Female connector.
The first major problem discovered in the epic battle of Man vs. Wireless was that not everyman's four pole 3.5 mm plug is created equal. The goggles had ground on pin 3 while the discount receiver had ground on pin 4. Crossing the wires mid length made things suddenly start to function. That the antenna connection didn't scuttle my efforts is a mystery I might not ever understand (unless Cabe chimes in again of course but there's no drama in that now, is there?)
Anyway, most important from all of this is that I'm never EVER again buying from a vendor that doesn't have a phone number available. Also, keep in mind, manufacturers are willing to sell to just about anyone these days so don't assume because a company (ImmersionRC for example) has a link to a dealer (let's use hobbywireless for an example) on their website that if you buy from that dealer you'll get something that will work on the first try. Like a lot of you I've wasted hours dealing with this over the course of two and a half months and I'm not happy about it.
Thanks again Cabe. Your assistance got me motivated to work it out this time around.
Bart

Cabe

Bart, been there done that :)

Thankfully these sorts of forums populated by people with a willingness to impart (sometimes hard earned) knowledge from a wide range of subjects are a boon in this day and age.

When Wi-Fi networks were first getting popular I built my own antennas because we lived in an old stone cottage which seemed to absorb every single radio frequency. You wouldn't beleive how difficult it was to find the right connectors, I had bodges on adaptors on widgets and wondered wby my +12db antenna only gave me 3ft of extra range, I had to learn RF theory quickly before the money ran out :)

Lets hope we manage to get all the kinks worked out before you lose all your hair, or like mine, starts turning something that looks far to much like a shade of grey for my comfort.

On that note, I am gonna see how much more damage I can cause to my already well abused quadcopter :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just canceled the Iftron passport and ordered the yellow jacket. the owner of Iftron, Ira, answers the phone himself and takes calls at home!!!