Anyone care to help troubleshoot my Tx/Rx?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Can't get video to work. Tried different channels, different transmitters, will check wires from camera again.
Anyone up for the challenge?

Cabe

Wireless video links. Bain of my existence in my day job.

Things to check, try plugging the camera into a screen direct to check that part of the link.

The other one is batteries/voltages I had a system where the TX was 12v but the receiver was only 5v...... luckily I spotted it before I plugged the receiver into the one of the 12v battery packs I built from the manual stating the TX and RX voltages were the same :)

Antenna Polarisation, either Horizontal or Vertical. If you are using a patch antenna on your RX try rotating it 90 degrees to get them polarised to the TX.

Bartman

Cabe to the rescue!! Thanks Cabe!
I'll try the direct link again just to be sure. i did that this morning after modifying the plug but I'll double check it.
I think the voltages are all fine but I'll check that too.
Rotate the patch antenna? I'll give it a shot.
Does the Rx have to be a certain distance from the Tx to work or can they be close to each other?
Thanks
Bart

Cabe

2.4ghz (assuming thats what it is) has a wavelengh of 125mm (about 5 inches) so as long as they are at least that apart you should be good.

Bartman

it's 5.8 ghz and it still won't work. the Tx (Stinger Pro) can use 2 or 3 cell LiPo's and I've got a three hooked up. The Rx can use up to 12v and I've got a 3 cell LiPo on there as well (Immersion RC Duo with one patch antenna).
I've got channel 3 selected on the Tx and I've checked that the Rx can do the same freqs as the Tx. The Stinger Pro is brand new.
The signal is good as checked with an old Sony trinitron.
??? Winds are forecast to be 5 kts tomorrow so I need to get this working so I can finally get the Canon in the air and snaps some photos!!
Thanks again Cabe.

Cabe

NM Found the Immersion Due 5.8 gig receiver.

What about the patch antenna, where did that come from?

Also the Duo is a diversity reciever (picks the best signal from two inputs) do you need to set anything if you only use one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

i'll try to get more info on the receiver or i'll just hook up my other patch antenna tomorrow and run two. FWIW, ImmersionRC is not easy to get a hold of and email sent to info@immersionrc.com can go unanswered. they seem to be another outfit depending on the generosity of forums members to provide customer service so they don't have to.
patch antennae came from futurehobbies.com when i bought the receiver, i think.
bart

Bartman

i'm still not getting anything in my goggles. i see all this cheap gear everywhere and i can't imagine none of it works but i buy one second rate receiver and it's useless. :mad:
i might just have to buy the iftron passport and get this thing working asap. $400:mad: at least ira at iftron answers the phone.
bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Bart

I can fell your anguish buddy, there is so many questions and not enough answers out there. I have a mate who is having no end of mither with a Dragon link set up, he has had to through more money at it than you can shake a stick at. Sometimes cheap AINT CHEAP!

Bartman

i'm going to try again with different channels and see if that helps at all. if i still can't get it to work i'm going to buy the iftron passport and hopefully that will resolve things.
bart

Bartman

I give up. I'm upgrading to an Iftron and we'll see if that fixes my problems.
Bart

Bartman

cabe,
is there any reason why rg-174 cables wouldn't work with a 5.8 ghz system from the antenna to the receiver?
i'm having a heck of a time over at rcgroups with the guy from immersionrc. i would rather not ever fly rc again than have to buy something else from them.
thanks,
bart

Cabe

RG-174 will carry the signal, but you have to spend megabux with someone like Belden to get stuff rated to nearly 6 gigahertz.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/03Belden_Master_Catalog/06Coaxial_Cables/06Coaxial_Cables.pdf if you want a look at what they rate theirs to.

Just in case anyone were unfamiliar with the designations, the RG (Radio Guide) system is only a specification for physical properties, impedance, diameter, whether its single, double, quad shielded, etc. Their actual performance at various frequencies varies based on the quality of the copper and dielectric construction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#Standards is a good primer on the numbers, and coax construction in general.

Short answer, they should all physically work and allow you to connect one to the other, but YMMV on untested cables I am afraid. If you get a specification sheet look for the attenuation column, there will be a dB/per some distance, lower = better.

If you are looking for cables you want to search for "pigtails" I suspect you are after SMA to SMA. Something like http://www.titanwirelessonline.com/18-RPSMA-Male-to-RPSMA-Male-p/pt-rsmam-rsmam.htm (although thats RP-SMA so please check your connectors)

Not advocating Titan, they are just decent enough to have a toll free number and put cable information on thier website. Found them with the googletron :)

Bartman

RG-174 will carry the signal, but you have to spend megabux with someone like Belden to get stuff rated to nearly 6 gigahertz.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/03Belden_Master_Catalog/06Coaxial_Cables/06Coaxial_Cables.pdf if you want a look at what they rate theirs to.

Just in case anyone were unfamiliar with the designations, the RG (Radio Guide) system is only a specification for physical properties, impedance, diameter, whether its single, double, quad shielded, etc. Their actual performance at various frequencies varies based on the quality of the copper and dielectric construction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#Standards is a good primer on the numbers, and coax construction in general.

Short answer, they should all physically work and allow you to connect one to the other, but YMMV on untested cables I am afraid. If you get a specification sheet look for the attenuation column, there will be a dB/per some distance, lower = better.

If you are looking for cables you want to search for "pigtails" I suspect you are after SMA to SMA. Something like http://www.titanwirelessonline.com/18-RPSMA-Male-to-RPSMA-Male-p/pt-rsmam-rsmam.htm (although thats RP-SMA so please check your connectors)

Not advocating Titan, they are just decent enough to have a toll free number and put cable information on thier website. Found them with the googletron :)

yup, a big phone number at the top of the screen....makes my heart warm just looking at it:eek:

what's the difference between RP-SMA and regular SMA? it looks like the pigtail you linked to would be perfect. should i just go ahead and buy one or two?

thanks for the info Cabe!

zorba

Bart make sure you get a short cable about a foot will do.
I have the short cable on mine. here's a photo

Bill

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 226