AMA starts UAS4STEM program

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you're a member of the AMA (academy of model aeronautics) you've probably tracked the increasing acceptance and open-mindedness the organization has shown toward the newer "drone" technology.

The AMA has provided a much-needed defense of our rights as hobbyist pilots - but in my personal estimation they have been slowly dipping their toe in the water in moving toward a full embrace of our segment of the hobby.

That has all changed with the AMA UAS4STEM challenge. In an effort to connect the hobby with Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics - the contest encourages kids to get involved with "drones, and specifically using them for a good purpose.

Their brief synopsis and link to further details are below:

Introducing a new STEM program from the Academy of Model Aeronautics!
UAS4STEM is designed to encourage students to explore the sUAS (drone) phenomenon, teamwork, competition and success through STEM.
Education through Aviation!

http://www.uas4stem.org

SamaraMedia

That's great to hear!

I caught the tail end of the NAFPV meet in Stephentown on Sunday and one of the members said the best part of the weekend was this kid around 14 that showed up with his home built tricopter. His mother had driven him up to see what it was all about and by the end of the day one of the vendors, I think RMRC, hooked him up with a set of Fatsharks and the crew up there set him up and got him flying FPV for the first time. He said the kid grinned from ear to ear when I put the goggles on for the first time. Mom was impressed with the way the guys took him in and exposed him to the hobby. Lots of positive feedback from the locals and attendees of the event. Getting kids interested in this technology is a no brainner...

That reminds me, my dues are due

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Agreed. Getting the youngsters involved is not only a great way to expand the hobby, but get them interested in some skills that the average school curriculum may be lacking in.

This seems like it should be good all around...

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
I have been doing "demo" flights for 3 local school districts for about 3 years now. STEM schools and Joint Vocational Schools in the area have contacted HexaCrafter for assistance in introducing "Drones" to the students at a young age.... 6th grade locally.....
The kids all love the technology... it is really a blast to see their excitement...
Funny thing...... When I was a kid... we all wanted to be Astronauts.....
Now...... They all want to control "Flying Robots" when they grow up......