Alti Mode Dropping

maxwelltub

So my alti mode seems to have stopped working on my f550. I re-calibrated the TX, Reset all the settings in the TX and still with no luck. I was flying inside so it was not a wind issue but the f550 seems to drop a few feet then continue to slowly lower itself. Tried adjusting some alti gains which helps someone what but not completely. I have a DX7 so I do not have the option of adjusting gains from my TX. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Max

maxwelltub

Hey Kloner, ya I saw your post about this. Dont have a picture now but I can tell you the NAZA sits dead center between the too plates. And these test flights were inside a warehouse so light on the barometer is not possible in this case. Altitude gain is at 130

kloner

Aerial DP
not even a light fromt he warehouse, right? a guy at rcg was getting tagged by a 300 watt metal halide

so if your not affected by the light thing, the only other biggie is in calibrating you tx to the naza in assistant. you have to move the throttle to excatly 50% in the radio, not on the pc screen and the green bar. When you hit finish, naza makes that the middle and makes em all green and centerd. make sure all trim, sub trim, throttle curves are inh or centered and normal. do the cali, hit finish with throttle centered perfectly and go fly it again.

maxwelltub

Ya Im certain it is not from warehouse light, the space is only lit with a few florescent tubes, and not very well I might add. And I read your other suggestions in other post when I was searching for an answer before I posted. tried all the re calibrations multiple times, no luck. At first I thought it was a bad solder somewhere, like a speed controller, but it drops evenly and level. Then I thought it was a power issue, but the orientation lights don't flicker or dim when it happens. Its like someone is dropping the throttle stick for a second then bringing it back just enough for a slow decent. My next step will be to increase altitude gain. I also have a gps module to hook up but I was hoping to get the alti mode working first before I go on to the next thing. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

kloner

Aerial DP
a slow decent means you need to give it a little throttle. this description just sounds like you need to fly it and quit looking for something this things not. What it's not is a professional piece, it's a hobby grade part. that means it'll have little quirks and burps. It's not automated to take off and land. if you let failsafe land it, it's not gonna be the smoothest thing you see happen but you'll get it back....... that's the pilot landing these things that you see look smooth. Mine bobbles alot down low hovering...... the resolution on a perfect setup is .8 meters up and .8 meters down....... if your props are out of balance(using stock props) it'll suck worse, stock motors with a bad bearing shows this, low gains shows this. Really with the description you give it could be everything. a video and pictures shows your problem louder than your explaining

you should have put the whole thing together,,,,,,, just makes it so you setup once........

What is atti, it makes it so when you have the throttle set to mid stick, you can go forward or backward or to the side and it doesn't drop too bad and should recover eventually the recovery depending how high t gain is set. higher it is better it stays there, too high it bobs up and down pretty hard. it could take a setting if 60 or it could need a setting of 250.......... depends on your controller, altitude, setup, calibration......

so far i heard no numbers where your at, seen no settings, seen no video so yea, your at a wall.

Zen Mitt

I setup a friends system on a Dx8 and I had a number of issues with the Atti mode, after a lot of testing we found that the issue was with the TX, we carried out a calibration a number of times and the "50%" throttle setting seemed to shift a little every time, so there was always a slow climb or fall at the center stick position, a very slight nudge either side of the "50%" had it holding position without issue, it's a bit of a pain to have to make these small adjustments but he got used to it as his skills got better on the system / flights. I have the same setup but use a Futaba, and it's locked at 50% every time, not sure why they have this slight drift, and this might not be your issue, however I thought it might be worth point out what I had found using the system with two different radios.

maxwelltub

@Kloner, Thanks for all your insight. I know your the expert and your definitely know more about this then me, but that doesn't make me a moron. I've been flying single rotors for 3 years and flying the naza for 5 months so I am not looking for an automatic flying machine. I've seen it work in Alti mode so I know what it should look like. I've been working with a f450 and just upgraded to an f550 with a AG-550 gimbal, SunnySky 2814 motors and Grauper 11" E props. I know there are a lot of redundant "silly" questions on this forum so I dont fault you for your assumption, and I'm aware that this is a hobby grade part. If it was just a slow decent then it would be one thing, but its a drop that then slows into a "controlled" slow decent. It will hold for about 30 seconds then it will drop so I think it is engaging into alti mode and then cutting out. It sounds like its a vibration issue, I'll try rebalancing all motors and props and see if that helps. I did put the whole thing together I am simply working on one variable at a time. Once this variable is resolved I will engage the GPS module and work on that.
Alti Mode is 75, 75, Manual is 130 across the board. Thats what has worked in the past.
@Zen, I hear ya, its especially annoying not having a variable slider or knob so I think i'm going to invest in a DX8. Like I was saying to Kloner I believe it is engaging in Alti mode for about 30 seconds to a minute before it drops a couple feet.

Conclusion is it could be a vibration issue, it did not accure to me that vibration could mess with a barometer so much but I guess it is a sensitive instrument like a gyro or anything else.

kloner

Aerial DP
i wasn't insinuating your a moron, but we get guys here all the time that maiden these thing, wanna put in on middle stick and set down teh transmitter and watch it sit there. the craft has to be perfect, and cause it's new is no garuntee it's all perfect parts.

So now you hit a pretty solid problem,,,, when you setup atti mode to the switch you have to put it right smack in the middle of the blue thing exact amount of clicks that centers it. there all different, this is sub trim on the mode channel, when you change the sub trim it shifts the endpoints and when you change the endpoints it can shift the sub trims center so you do one, do the other, then check at least on of them to make sure it's still 4 clicks center or whatever your number comes out being. On mine, when i've hit failsafe for real it flattens out an sits there till it sees signal again. If the throttle wasn't engaging like a real failsafe is set then it might drop,,,, dunno. Your kinda where i've never been with that one. it needs 10% or more throttle to hold it up there flat and level

kloner

Aerial DP
Zen, i've seen that too in my 11x but it has to do with dirty or cheap pots that don't hold a clean center. what a hassle, but if you look at the window "monitor" and you see anything but rock solid bars it's that for sure, send to horizon. If that's rock solid, it can just not be bad enough yet to show or the bind. When it sets a bind it can be in amongst intereference and doomed form the get go. Might try again and if persist, ell horizon about it especially if under warranty before it's not

kloner

Aerial DP
I put the Dragonlink longrange system on my 11x and it talks to it through the trainer port. Well in an 11x the trainer ports has some weird digital out put that talks to other jr radios great, but when you put an aftermarket unsupported and the guy selling you that obviously never trying all the combos, i came up with a combination that tried to kill me......

this is a naza f450 in and out of failsafe. I still flew it alright, but at the end there when it really got bad, i pretty much had no control. as long as the cyclic wasn't touched i was alright, just kept it away from my familly and i took it to the bush,,, last minute, minute and a half
not idea what the throttle was doing, but i think it got weird low cause i probably started flirting with less than 10% and every other pulse was with and atti then failsafe, but not a controlled throttle. the end i had the throttle off for a long time, hitting every switch on teh radio that had to do with throttle hold, etc. usually when a craft is in and out, it's pretty burly

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Not sure if this relevant but I see a difference in stability from GPS and Atti mode. When it's in Atti mode it is definitely less nervous. In GPS mode I see a very slight but constant oscillation. This goes away when I reduce the Atti. Gain down to 40 and increase the basic gain to about 120 These settings still give a very tight position hold.

maxwelltub

It all good kloner, I know there are a lot of people who come into the hobby guns blazing with no idea which way is up. I'll take another look tomorrow and let you know if I have any success. Thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
if it's still a turd, get us a video of the exact problem and i'm sure that if none of us have seen that before, you need a dealer to help get you a replacement either radio or naza. I was just talking to a buddy having one built professionaly now, apparently his dx8 had some software issue and had to be replaced...... nothings garunteed in this hobby to work out of the box and more times the problem is caught when being built cause the stuff either works or doesn't from what i see. Every video from me i'm flying my first naza, been wet twice, like underwater blowin bubbles. It's a pretty solid unit when they work outta the box.

maxwelltub

Problem seems to have disappeared. It must have been some strange interference from in or around the warehouse space. The space has a large open bay door on the second floor where I was flying so it could have been shifty barometric pressure being on the second floor of a warehouse with an updraft of warmer air coming from downstairs and a breeze from outside, Truthfully I have no idea but after a great day of successful flying I am please to report all is well with my Naza Alti mode. Once I saw that it was working I quickly resumed flying in manual but it was just driving me nuts to know that something was off.

Zen Mitt

I put the Dragonlink longrange system on my 11x and it talks to it through the trainer port. Well in an 11x the trainer ports has some weird digital out put that talks to other jr radios great, but when you put an aftermarket unsupported and the guy selling you that obviously never trying all the combos, i came up with a combination that tried to kill me......

this is a naza f450 in and out of failsafe. I still flew it alright, but at the end there when it really got bad, i pretty much had no control. as long as the cyclic wasn't touched i was alright, just kept it away from my familly and i took it to the bush,,, last minute, minute and a half
not idea what the throttle was doing, but i think it got weird low cause i probably started flirting with less than 10% and every other pulse was with and atti then failsafe, but not a controlled throttle. the end i had the throttle off for a long time, hitting every switch on teh radio that had to do with throttle hold, etc. usually when a craft is in and out, it's pretty burly

Hi Kloner, now that was a battle, pleased to see you were away from people and buildings! I wil stick to my Futaba radios.... go with what you know!

Last edited by a moderator: