alternative for a gopro?

Gambrinus

You might be right. They are all "verified purchases", that helps but it would still be nice if there were about a hundred reviews. I might try one, I dont know if ill be saving $150 or wasting it. Since I dont already have a gopro I wont be able to compare.

Spflyer

Leo C
Look at the Mobius. Gets great reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397697603&sr=8-1&keywords=mobius+camera

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I have just tried the new Sony Action Cam, Good image quality and stabilisation but again too much distortion around the sides. No live view apart from the limited range WiFi.(30 feet). I have yet to find out if the Mini HDMI output is live view or just playback. They don't say, but I found a supplier of high speed cables who claims that it does?

ChrisErl

Wow, thanks, that looks very promising. I might get one of those andplay with it as a dash cam until I built my quad.

Check out he threads for it a rcgroups. There are a bunch of knock offs so make sure you get a genuine one. That's rcgroups thread can help for this and updates

dittymau

The AV100 is the one I am trying to use, what do you use for a gimbal and mount. I have been told they don't exist but there is a link from NAB that says DJI has a Gimbal for it.

Check out this link.

http://www.hireacamera.com/dmxreadyv2/blogmanager/app_engine/assets/images/img_0490.jpg

This is what I want to do.

PS- In the description of the camera on the Sony site, it specifies the cable required to do FPV.
http://store.sony.com/pov-action-cam-zid27-HDRAS100V/W/cat-27-catid-All-Action-Cam

-SD Output : Composite Video Out(AV CABLE VMC-15MR2(sold separately)
-HDMI Terminal : HDMI Out(mini)(sold separately)

I hope this is helpful.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I have just tried the new Sony Action Cam, Good image quality and stabilisation but again too much distortion around the sides. No live view apart from the limited range WiFi.(30 feet). I have yet to find out if the Mini HDMI output is live view or just playback. They don't say, but I found a supplier of high speed cables who claims that it does?

Sony contacted me about advertising here and I send the best first step would be to send me two or three of them so we can get them out to a few guys to play with. They never wrote back.

:(

kloner

Aerial DP
for the money, the sony action cams didn't give me very good results. there ios didn't do anything, the footage has a lot of artifact, when it should look blurry, it made chunky pieces of artifact like a low mp camera would.... to me the hero is well worth the extra money unless you just don't care about the quality, at which point i'd move towards mobius

it also had a horrible habit of fogging up the protective case

Last edited by a moderator:

dittymau

Are you referring to the AV100 or the A10 or 15? I have read many articles about using it as FPV cam and everyone said they are better than the GoPro's; however, the clear cases add's to much weight and caused fog and distortion of video. The AV100 is splash proof so I am not planning on using a case but would like to find a gimbal and mount.

Any ideas?

kloner

Aerial DP
I was on the a-10,,,, i had sent raw footage of this, hero2, nex-5 to a guy that does video compression for a living, he analyzed it and presented the findings. forget where the link to it was from here, but the compression sony used on those models was horribly invasive. i'd hazard to guess it hasn't changed or this camera woulda been alot more of a bang to all these pro AV guys here. Mie worked fine, the tech there using was way behind. in a month or two hero4 comes out and will be no comparison

chipwich

I run a couple of Hero3's on my midsized MRs, but have been pretty impressed with the Mobius wide angle version on my Honey Badger and QAV250. They are the bomb for $80.

ChrisErl

Im not looking for an alternative to the gopro at this time but would like someone to confirm the gopro3 black is the one i want for aerial video under a phantom2

chipwich

Im not looking for an alternative to the gopro at this time but would like someone to confirm the gopro3 black is the one i want for aerial video under a phantom2

Then this is the wrong thread to post in, but to answer your question as long as it is not a Vision or Vision+, which come with cameras, yes.

kloner

Aerial DP
at this point you want the 3+, if you wait a couple months hero4 will be available at the same price point with a ton more features including 4k 30fps.... 1080 120fps, etc.

ChrisErl

im new this site so sorry if i posted my question in the wrong spot. That said i was leaning toward the 3 but ive read alot of Kloners post and his advice always seems solid. I would love to wait for the 4 but need a camera now and didnt want to get the 3+ if it had focus issues. setup will be used to fly over treed areas and confirm such things as access roads, creeks, marsh/ swamps, ridges etc..