Alexmos issues

Kilby

Hey, anyone else have trouble connecting an Alexmos board for the first time? It's flashing error code on the led, but I can't get the laptop to see the board. I tried on the Mac version first, and I just don't think the com port is set right. I then tried the windows 7 version (netbook) and it doesn't even show the UI up at all.. just a grey app window. Could that be a minimum screen resolution issue maybe since I"m on a little netbook?

-Terry

Kilby

Anyone? Denny, I know you have one of these boards. Any advise on getting it communicating with my netbook or Mac laptop?

kloner

Aerial DP
mine wouldn't talk at first either and i passed it off to a guy that tried and it eventualy worked. some of the details on i2c errors are make sure your wire from imu to board is less than 25cm,,,, make sure the solder is on both sides of the board where the imu hooks up. you have to get it to load the firmware before it'll act right. if you get an error loading it, that's the problem

When you hook this thing up to talk to it, the usb adapter should initiate a new com port when it's plugged in, the board doesn't need power to boot usb. as the software opens you hit the comm port that's not there when you turn on this software without a alexmos usb adapter connected.....

as far as macs go, no idea.

DennyR

Terry I must be one of these lucky guys, Mine worked right first time (CSG) and the second one also worked (JussilH) Only thing I found was that the 32 bit version GUI was the only one to work on my 64 bit laptop.
The only problem with the CSG one was when the IMU croaked. Sent him money for a new one but it never came. I hope the wise words from ole TC don't turn out to be true about this company or there will be some vituperative sounds brewing from from this corner as well.

The quality of the CSG one is not as good and I like the caps. on the Jussi one to prevent voltage surges going back to the battery.

Changing the values in the GUI is a little strange at first glance its a click and scroll movement L&R

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
terry,

with windows, every new USB pseudo-COM device gets a new COM port assigned to it. If you go to the System screen and click on hardware you can see what COM port was assigned to the board. In the software (just guessing but it should work this way) make sure it is looking for the correct COM port, IOW match the COM port in the board's software to the COM port assigned when the USB connection was first made.

bart

Kilby

Thanks, guys. So do I have to load the firmware first? I was under the impression that it came with 1.0 loaded, and if you want to use any if the beta versions then you have to load that hex file and use the same GUI.

So far I have all the physical install complete, (soldering, mounting) but I get nothing when I plug in the board. I'm trying to just start off with 1.0, but if there is a better version that you guys are having better luck with, I'm all ears.

Kilby

mine wouldn't talk at first either and i passed it off to a guy that tried and it eventualy worked. some of the details on i2c errors are make sure your wire from imu to board is less than 25cm,,,, make sure the solder is on both sides of the board where the imu hooks up. you have to get it to load the firmware before it'll act right. if you get an error loading it, that's the problem

When you hook this thing up to talk to it, the usb adapter should initiate a new com port when it's plugged in, the board doesn't need power to boot usb. as the software opens you hit the comm port that's not there when you turn on this software without a alexmos usb adapter connected.....

as far as macs go, no idea.

Kloner, I'm using the stock wire harness with the IMU. I'll double check the length, but I also know that I only soldered it in from the back of the IMU. It seemed like it was a nice solid connection, and the front didn't move or have much space for more solder, so I left it as is. Do you think could be my issue?

It's killing me to have this physically finished, but still not working due to something simple like drivers or com ports.

Kilby

I got this sorted finally. It was a compound problem. On the netbook the problem was that the machine didn't meet the minimum resolution required. The Mac has something funky going on with the driver. In the end, I put boot camp on my Mac and loaded the 32 bit Windows version on that. I was able to connect to the board last night and get started with the tuning. Videos to come soon.

-Terry

I get "upload failed" messages, and a rapid flashing green light on the alexmos. I'm on Win8, 64bit.

Ideas? Com port looks ok.

I get "upload failed" messages, and a rapid flashing green light on the alexmos. I'm on Win8, 64bit.

Ideas? Com port looks ok.

Have flashed mine a few times (Win 7 64bit) and xloader always says 'upload failed' for me but when I connect using the configuration tool it's fine. Also, I think that the boards don't come with any firmware installed, just the AlexMos bootloader.

ovdt

Does anyone have a solution about this "Upload Failed" issue?

I got an Alexmos 2.0 board from ARMBGC and aving a problem to update the firmware. It can't even get connected with GUI software. The COM ports look OK, and the board reacts with leds when I try to connect with GUI.

Avrduder gives an error when trying to update the firmware: "stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00".

I tried to burn the bootloader again with Arduino but still no luck. Any ideas?

kloner

Aerial DP
as long as the board reboots after it's uploaded to your golden. ignore the error, try opening up the gui. i have the cgs shop alexmos board and had to enable the imu to get it working right. theres a little box to check...... then write, then mine came poppin to life.

DennyR

Xload and Tarduino always tells you upload failed. As long as the com port is identified ok it has written your new code.