Alex Mos brushless gimbal controller

Kilby

I'm not sure how many of you have been following all the recent developments with the brushless gimbal controller from Alex Mos. I know that at least one company finally launched their board this week and it starts shipping next Friday. I just came across this video from someone that was building an early prototype in Russia. These things really are going to be a game changer considering the price.

GoPro Footage on Octo

Canon 550 footage (still in beta)

Last edited by a moderator:

janoots2

These look awesome! Definitely keeping an eye on these too, but going to let them mature for a little bit before I get serious about purchasing one.

Tomstoy2

That is, by far, the best results I've seen from these yet! All the other vids I've checked out all had deffinate roll issues. These are really going to be sweet.
Like Janoots, I'm more than happy to sit back and wait for things to develop.

DennyR

I have a board from CSG Shop with my own motors, they make a nice board. (TM 4008's rewound). Looks great running on the bench. I used 2x .15 wire 70 turns. Motors are an ongoing development as there are many variations to try yet. Currently working on a hollow shaft version which I believe will be the way to go as all wiring can pass through the center and avoid balance and friction errors.

SamaraMedia

I've been following this for a while now and will be looking to incorporate this new gimbal and board on a UAP-1 hexa build I'm working on. Registered for notification when the board becomes available from Viacopter, Alex Mos and company, and look forward to the progress of this setup. Interesting copter he's flying in that video and I would be interested on the flight control he's using, some wicked directional changes in there with little if any shake or instability on those hard banked turns.

Kilby

Why is he using bigger motor on tilt???

I assume you are talking about the second video? That one is shot with a Canon 550, which is a pretty good size. I know he has tested several motors so far, check out his youtube channel. I assume a camera of that size needed it, or maybe he was just trying to test 2 different motors at the same time.

The motors still seem to be the big variable. People are rewinding everything they can get their hands on in an effort to figure it out.

Kilby

That is, by far, the best results I've seen from these yet! All the other vids I've checked out all had deffinate roll issues. These are really going to be sweet.
Like Janoots, I'm more than happy to sit back and wait for things to develop.

I agree. In 6 months time, these things will be locked in.

Still, there is a little voice in my head telling me to get a board now and start experimenting! It's tempting, especially since I have a little more time than usually right now and the weather is absolute crap right now!

jfro

Aerial Fun
Does anybody know if the Alex Mos brushless gimbal controller only works with brushless motors?

Since the controllers look like they will be shipping soon, I'm of the same mind to buy a controller and started messing with rewinding motors. I'm pretty clueless on electric motors, so I'm just curious if his controller would work with any conventional gimble like the AV130 or some of the DIY builds that are out there.

DennyR

Only with brushless motors with a specific Ohms rating resistance across two phases. Soon there will be ready to use motors everywhere!!!

If you are a good DIYer then start now but if not I would buy one of the upcoming ready to use jobs.

There was a vid. on RCG showing the new 2 axis DJI for a GoPro 3 FWIW.

kloner

Aerial DP
and those motors will replace your servos......

I'm pretty sure we will figure out a way to replace the belt and cog on current gimbals to accomodate this type of drive. Your at the infancy of this, by this time next year these will be the industry standard

Debian Dog

Old Heli Guy
Sorry... Is there a link I can read about it in English?

I know X468.com is working on a small one for the GoPro also

bg_legs.jpg

SimonS

I've ordered one too. There is a French company that should have a gopro sized gimbal to go with this board in a month or so. I'm still deliberating to go for that or wait for something bigger for NEX5 or similar.

Kilby

I ordered the board in hopes of building my own NEX sized gimbal. It seems that most of the companies are starting with GoPro, then going up to NEX and finally DSLR. I have a specific design in mind, so I'm going to have a go of it myself first.

DennyR

When comparing my CSG board with some of the others I can see some differences. Viacopter for example has a couple of capacitors and a direct mini usb socket instead of the FTDI. FPV seem to be having some issues and passing out beta stuff in the meantime....

RotorJockey

Hi Guys, I'm still new to MR and FPV, but heard that DJI has a 'point-of-interest' controller - which pro'ly adds another axis to the stabiliser. This would be of great interest to us as we are trying out MRs to protect rhinos, elephants and abalone in South Africa. We do not dare to loiter once airborne, except to go round in high speed circles - and the camera must stay as directed by the vid op, or the input location from the 'shot detector(s)'. Any thoughts about adding POI to these stunning new BLDC motored gimbals and controller boards?

Kilby

POI is a feature that has been built into the Wookong flight controller for some time now. It lets you define a point of interest, and then fly circles around it in an automated fashion while still facing the point of interest. It would only help you watch Rhino's if they didn't move. No worries though, it doesn't do anything that a half decent MR pilot can do on their own.

RotorJockey

Hi Kilby. Thanks for that, but it would be the poachers we would watch! So the POI feature keeps the 'nose' of the machine pointed at the target, obviating the need for a third axis on the gimbal!? 'Scuse my ignorance ...

Kilby

Hi Kilby. Thanks for that, but it would be the poachers we would watch! So the POI feature keeps the 'nose' of the machine pointed at the target, obviating the need for a third axis on the gimbal!? 'Scuse my ignorance ...

Yup, you are correct. I don't have it set up, but in a nut shell you fly up to a POI, engage the POI mode, the fly backwards away from it (at least 5 meters) to set the radius of your circle. Then when you give it stick controls to fly sideways, it flys around the POI keeping the nose of the craft pointing in.

This video demonstrates. Good luck!