Aerodrive 8 vs Herkules II what's better for a DJI

Aerodrive 8 vs Herkules II what's better for a DJI?

Been trying to gather some more info about this two new pieces of hardware. But the info on the net for the Aerodrive is limited. My DJI with plush esc has reached a wall and I want to see if the faster esc will stabilize the wobble in the wind.
Which one do you think is better and why?
Any setup pictures or manuals?

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

What you need is different props that are much lighter and have a paddle shape with more blade area and less dia. also less distance between motors. response time is all about motor KV and rotational inertia. Latency in the system starts with the gyros which currently all have too much FSR for the job that they are doing. Wood props such as those from Xoar seem to give a better response but not for the reason that you might be thinking, the high aspect ratio is totally wrong for this application it is the weight only that favors them. IMHO

There is certainly more info available online for the Herkules board than the Aerodrive.

This is a responce I received from the creators of Aerodrive:

"At time we dont have a manual.

We will test the AEROdrive with DJI soon.

It gives a spetzail cable (5 pin) to configurate the board. From I2C to PPM signal you have to cut a pin on the board.

//Whats the supported refresh rates?// sorry i dont understand, what you mean?

The biggest adcantage is the power, the AEROdrive can over 40A. The AEROdrive is I2c and ppm ready."

I am waiting for a response from Mr. Andreas Baier.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Red i am not sure but in the back of my head i got the info from someone who actually knows what he is talking about, that the Aerodrive is nothing else but MK BLs components rearranged with a fat heat-sink which doesn't provide any protection and running on the MK BL firmware with the only differnce that they allow max current 40a as standard setting. If this is really the case they will not work with the WKM. Check Rc groups, the info finally came out yesterday that with the current firmware the MK BLs are not compatible to the WKM PPM start up method. Read from the top http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486386&page=451.

So just ask the swiss guys if the aerodrive is based on the MK Bls firmware than you have your answer.

Denny your prop approach sounds interesting I will try to get my hands on some for testing for my Hexa or CS8.

Boris

ddmt

Don't hold your breath. According to one of the guys who made that ESC, they really would like to manufacturer these super nice ESCs for us to play with but they just don't want to spend their time on support. So yeah it's a pity but I do hope they change their mind.

I received a response from both makers. None has done tests on a DJI but bot plan to in the following weeks.
I hope they do test and create specific firmware for the DJI especially for the high price they are asking. For the amount of money the boards cost a manual, support, warranty and tests on some of the leading FC's must be done.
I will hold my purchase untill they provide the test results. I will post here and on rcgroups when they do.

?

i am flying the Herkules board on a DJI
together in a CX Droidworx all work fine , good stability.
engines 2814-22 axi
props 11x5
standard X quad settings on DJI
nothing changed in setup.
did not tweeked it yet.
will test a Aerodrive board tommorow on the DJI

Macsgrafs

I am already using JXF 14x4 with a weight of 18-20 grams. Axi2826/12 and in a couple of days I will have my Pletty 15-20 to try. Tried 11x5, 12x6, 14x4.7, 15x4. Skyjib 8 auw 7.1 kilos. Too bad my plush 60 are silabs and I can't flash new firmware.

Refresh rate effects seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Y6dyR8YFQ

Yes thats a shame about the plush 60A, I have found a programmer for silabs esc's...but I really dont have a clue where to start?
I am running 12x6 apce props.

Ross

?

Attachments

• dji.jpg
    dji.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 291
  • dji2.jpg
    dji2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 314

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yes thats a shame about the plush 60A, I have found a programmer for silabs esc's...but I really dont have a clue where to start?
I am running 12x6 apce props.

Ross

Do you have firmware for the Silabs chip? I haven't yet heard of anyone that has stable working code for them yet, only a developer version that is very much use at your own risk for testing...

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Sandor if the Aerodrive is based on the MK BL Ctrls firmware you will not have a lot of luck. But maybe you can clarify it the Aerodrive has its own firmware or the same as BL Ctrls.

Boris

?

View attachment 1829its basicly finetuning..
as soon the aerodrons are ready for end users all will work ok on all systems.

i am busy testing all systems at the moment.

my CX has now a 6S 8000 under its belly

i am testing both CX one with MK
other DJI

both have herkules boards
same engines
same props

Attachments

• cx.jpg
    cx.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 329

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just out of interest. Has one of you seen any working aerodrive WKM setup yet ? Just interested if my assumption was right that aerodrive is running the MK BL ctrl firmware thus doesnt work with DJI, like we know from the MK BL Ctrl

Boris

Vortex

I'm with you guys on this......I just sent the 2 new HercII boards/heatsink back for a refund and will wait and see what happens with the new High Power board after I was assured they were capable of driving my 4120/20 motors. After a number of boards burnt up it was decided they weren't capable of handling the advertised current after all!!!

I have been milling over the subject of power boards for MK electronics and it has got me damned if I can work out why someone hasn't simply come up with a working interface to allow the use of readily available ESCs. Why hasn't someone already done it as it'd make it so easy and you could fit any sized motor/ESC combination you liked without having to rely a a single board to try and cope with the huge current loads placed upon it.

Regards,

Lance