Aerial Video Service Rate Sheet

Kilby

Hi KaspInc. It's great to see someone that is doing things by the book and making a go of it. If you don't mind, could you share some info about what it takes from an insurance perspective to get into a legit business like this? I see lots of people that just go out and do this, but have zero insurance leaving themselves open to liability. I've been meeting with the AUVSI here in the states, and it seems like the largest barrier we have here is getting insurance for our businesses, especially if you have to finance any of your birds. I'm sure that a substantial part of your daily fees goes to insurance premiums, do they not?

Here in Canada one can work with Marsh Canada Insurance for commercial activities. MAAC only work for RC flying at safe designated flying sites under specific condition. UAV insurance will work elsewhere when one is doing commercial work..... in between is no-mans land!!!!

Hi KaspInc. It's great to see someone that is doing things by the book and making a go of it. If you don't mind, could you share some info about what it takes from an insurance perspective to get into a legit business like this? I see lots of people that just go out and do this, but have zero insurance leaving themselves open to liability. I've been meeting with the AUVSI here in the states, and it seems like the largest barrier we have here is getting insurance for our businesses, especially if you have to finance any of your birds. I'm sure that a substantial part of your daily fees goes to insurance premiums, do they not?

@SMP... great post my friend. That has been my philosophy for the last 10 years with my Jimmy jib clients.. it has served me well. Not many guys think that way and it drives the rate down for everyone else.

Now that I think this through, it seems to me that one has to consider that this is sunny day and seasonal work (as is most photography occupations) such that there will be days with no field and airtime money coming in......
$3200 per full day is extremely realistic with this costly equipment and the skills required.

My full-day rate starts at $3200 and goes up from there. I'm currently only booking full days in advance because we are turning away work. We are one of very few companies able to fly legally almost anywhere in Ontario, Canada including controlled and uncontrolled airspace on a 24 hour notice.

Now that I think this through, it seems to me that one has to consider that this is sunny day and seasonal work (as is most photography occupations) such that there will be days with no field and airtime money coming in......
$3200 per full day is extremely realistic with this costly equipment and the skills required.

For a two man crew plus battery tech.. that's a bit low IMHO.

SMP

Peter it is extremely unlikely that you will find insurance which which will cover your UAV operations. Best you can hope for is Public Damage/ Public Liability and standard equipment insurance against theft. We buy our photo gear from B&H and purchase the additional drop/fall from Squaretrade. We've had one claim from our recent planting of the TBS Discovery. We'll see if they take care of the GP3 which looks substantially more hammered than a typical "drop". We've searched on 2 continents and this is the best compromise we've found to date.

ECJ is right, theres money still on the table. Quite a bit frankly... Guys, lets think about this for a second. They need and want what you have to offer. Their only other option is a balloon/mast guy or a full scale Plane or Heli. Have you priced a full scale? What do you think THEIR average ticket is. You can now choose two options, you can either come under that full scale or charge even MORE because you can get lower and slower and closer than he can. You stay on station far longer, offer much more variety and specific shots tailored to their solution and its far less risk and liability for them. Corporate clients of all size fear RISK far more than Price. Why wouldn't you sell that?? So... if your tool is the only tool that can do that why would you price it for less than a tool that doesn't work as well and creates far more risk? Note I haven't even brought footage licensing, footage prep and delivery or $ per each lift into the equation.

The hook is... I would challenge you to ask yourself two things; 1. Are you're genuinely qualified to charge a "pro rate" (not that I do this "full time" pro $hit definition, but the I can get it right, every time, under any circumstances, safely w guaranteed results definition. If not, go back to free. If yes, charge for it! And 2. Are you approaching this from a "How am I substantially different?", "What do I offer that no one else can?", "What do they really want?" and "What are they afraid of?", perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

SMP for President....or at least for Headmaster at Harvard Business School

Post # 3 and Post # 26 in this thread is all anyone needs to know to run ANY business sucessfully ....and so many fail.

I don't know how many times I was shaking my head when another tread like: "Hello, I am new to all this, I want to start a business with Multirotors....."

There is just a few things to know:

# 1: The "secrets" and principles how to run a sucessful business

# 2: Deep technical knowledge about the "carrier" (Multirotors, Single Rotor Helis....) of your camera

# 3: Knowledge about photography/filming

If you plan to run a one-man show, you need to know #1 + #2 + #3. If you don't have any knowledge, take your time to gain it. Most people will be able to tackle #2 and #3, but will fail with #1.
If you think in a bigger scale, you might get away with the lack of # 2 or # 3, knowledge in this field can be bought/hired....but you won't get away without knowing anything about # 1.
If you really want to make it a "business", just concentrate on # 1.

Most of us meet in this forum because of the fascination for these flying machines and the possiblility to see/film our planet from the bird's eye view....but is this enough to make more than just a living out of it ???
If fascination drives you, fly for the fun of it and make your money with knowledge you have already in your current profession, at least up to the point where you are knowledgable enough to start a one-man-show.

There are many people out there in a frustrating work situation, then they see some Aerial youtube videos and think this would be a great and easy way to get out of the frustration.....just read a little bit in the forums, buy a Multirotor, hang a cam underneath and sell your service....WRONG.

My original trade is shoe and leather goods designer with a masters degree, but today I own two very profitable companies in the Automotive industry with about 65 employees....and I fly for fun.
Do I want to show off ? NO, I just want to proof that if you follow Post # 3 and Post # 26 from SMP (that's all I did all my life) you can make it. In my business, I have just "basic" knowledge about the technology involved in my company, but I know one or two things about business....that's all I will need for the rest of my life.

Chris

FerdinandK

Flying a copter (with a cam) is fun, but if you have to fly a copter the situation changes immediately.

It is fun to recognize, that this moment (location, weather, light, event, ...) could be a great scene to shoot with your multi. If you are a pro, you have to create the moment.

When multi + cam is a hobby, of course it would be great to earn money with it, but only if you can describe it as "obsession" there is a chance of success. Since that you "have to" do it, the focus is on "doing" and the money will follow. If the focus is on the (possible) money, the failure is programmed.

best regards

Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

I ended up with a UAV/UAS aviation policy from Transportation risk Management. Hull and liability. Aerial photography and videography is spelled out in the policy. I also add coverage for any camera attached to the SkyJib on a per shoot basis up to 50k. My lawyer says its good to go. I can post my certificate and the disclaimer if you guys want. This is a terrific thread fellas.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Extremely good information here from all and greatly appreciated. In addition to competing with conventional solutions such as manned helicopter c/w pilot cameraman and maintenance ground support I have learned here that the Multirotor can get in much closer and do work that is not possible any other way and that is extra value to many clients. In Canada the Transport Canada specifically requires the MR business to have insurance in order to obtain a SFOC. Special Flight Operations Certificate. Another approach for starting up a business which I tried once before is to work thru a local university business incubator service...... MBA students are assigned a task to determine the business feasibility and estimate the potential income etc. The results of such a study can be a good indicator on which way to move forward and provide a head's up if it will simply be a labour of love or has true potential.