Aerial Photo Certification in the US

I've been looking through the forum on information about aerial photo certification/proficiency in the US. I've found mostly discussions and speculations about what the FAA will do with our airspace and our place in it. I've also noticed some information on certification in Canada and European countries.
Recently, I came across FLYSAFE and the courses they provide. Having some logged time as a private pilot, I appreciate these efforts, and I would be interested in perhaps exploring some of these courses that touch on important topics as insurance, liability, waivers and regulations.
Has anyone been part of these aerial business courses, or know/recommend some additional alternatives in the US?
I know this business is in flux until the FAA gives us the final scoop in 1 or 2 yrs, but there's nothing wrong in anticipating what requirements we may encounter. I'm sure there are many who'd like to know.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the initial buzz with the folks that set up FLYSAFE was that they had the ear of the FAA and were working to get a deal on small UAS in the US to make it legal in the short term. the buzz died and we were left with a program that doesn't authorize anything and is strictly for profit.

if it is of any value it is maybe to get you started in the business but it's your responsibility to operate within the confines of the law, or lack thereof.

Bart

the initial buzz with the folks that set up FLYSAFE was that they had the ear of the FAA and were working to get a deal on small UAS in the US to make it legal in the short term. the buzz died and we were left with a program that doesn't authorize anything and is strictly for profit.

if it is of any value it is maybe to get you started in the business but it's your responsibility to operate within the confines of the law, or lack thereof.

Bart

Thanks Bartman; That's what I thought. I guess short of joining a UAV program like the University of North Dakota's, these courses do have some sort of guidance. I wonder if there are any other such courses in the US, I mean, other than FlySafe.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Some universities are starting to provide classes/degrees (University of Missouri and University of Nebraska) related to drone technology. I'm waiting to get my credentials there once the FAA figures themselves out

Hey sixshooterstang, I'm in that same mindset, however, the FAA will probably look to some experts in the field to build that certification program. I wonder who they are, or who they'll be. Maybe they're all here in the forums...watching (he, he).
In line with Kloner's Hoverfly certification (thanks Kloner, I checked them out), it looks like another "brand-specific" competency course, like the one Steadidrone USA offers. However, the business side issues make the FLYSAFE course somewhat more intriguing. Thanks for sharing the University of Mo, and Nebraska info. Will look into it.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Mostly journalism related however their IT/engineering programs have drone labs as well. I am sure part of the degree will be getting certified in some way or other. You would have to journalism or not.

What makes me sick however is that they do not dedicate an entire course to learning to fly and know your craft. That and their copters really need camera dampening (videos have more jello than aisle 6 at my grocery store). A few simple gimbals wouldnt hurt either.

Bartman

hoverfly was working on something similar.

hoverfly was working to establish the FLYSAFE program. i don't know what happened to their effort to promote self certification of our industry.

kloner

Aerial DP
did they all break up, quit? seems like zero participation to any forums, all i see if people complain about wait times like there busy... weird, FAA stomp em?

Bartman

it's hard to say. they're working on non-hobby projects that have more certainty to be legal when they're ready. as for development of the PRO system, i believe it continues but they've been shy about making any commitments or announcements.

Bart

To me the Hoverfly programs seems a bit like a "brand exclusive" course on proficiency with their gear, with the fly-safety guidelines thrown in. Kinda like the SteadidroneUSA course offerings. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. However, the business, insurance, and public safety issues, that FLYSAFE offer, seem a bit more complete, but lack flight proficiency (as sixshootersang says). It seems to me a weekend course is not enough when it comes to certification, there are so many layers to this business. I still feel we will have some ground school/flight school combo in the future. I just don't see anything with a solid foundation in the US yet.

kloner

Aerial DP
usually a flight school and a business school are two different things. You need insurance, i got people???

usually a flight school and a business school are two different things. You need insurance, i got people???

Kloner agreed, there is a difference. And that's coming from someone who has a graduate business degree from a not-to-shabby institution, and accumulated hours of flight and flight school. Insurance? I would look into it, of course. But my homeowner's insurance covers me to a point as some members have discussed in these forums. What I have yet to see is 1. An effective way to keep a standard of practice for us multirotor pilots and thos who want to get into the craft. I would like to see that.
I like the honor system we all have now, but really, our drones will be like swarms in airspace in just a few years. Discuss.

kloner

Aerial DP
if your not for hire, agreed, but as soon as you take a dollar the home owners insurance won't cover you. maybe an umbrella policy. we use a company that covers the rig, covers payloads up to 50K, liability, and is fully aware and stands behind our activities with us. There involved with every aspect of this blooming flower. It aint free, but it makes it alot better to have it than not if the crap hits the fan

Aerovideo

I've been curious about insurance for commercial use of aerial videography and was wondering if there was an insurance company willing to insure something that seems pretty deep in the grey area as far as legality?

Topflight

I just checked into liability insurance for my Multi rotor. It was suggested that I start by own business (LLC) and get liability insurance. I've been quoted a cost from two insurance companies. Approx $825.00 (per year) for 1 million in liability/insurance.
I've been curious about insurance for commercial use of aerial videography and was wondering if there was an insurance company willing to insure something that seems pretty deep in the grey area as far as legality?

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I just checked into liability insurance for my Multi rotor. It was suggested that I start by own business (LLC) and get liability insurance. I've been quoted a cost from two insurance companies. Approx $825.00 (per year) for 1 million in liability/insurance.

1 million in liability is decent for $825. I pay more per year on car insurance and am not covered that well.

CdA D

I'm sure that one day we will be able to get certified by the FAA, but as to when???????? Until then I'll wait. For me there is no need to take a class that is not sanctioned by the FAA. It will cost enough.

+1 on holding back on courses. Maybe hop across the border to Canada and do something there you never know when the FAA start playing they might accept it.