Aerial Paintings

Kilby

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share a project with you all that I have finally completed testing on.

Some of you may have seen the aerial photography that I had printed to oversize stretched canvas. The entire idea there was to find compelling shots taken with a gopro on my tricopter, then dumped into Photoshop for some tweaking, then printed to oversize canvas.. AND THEN allow my fiance to cover the entire thing in paint. The end result is pretty amazing if I say so myself. She is able to keep all of the detail of the original photo, but by painting over it there is some type of additional human character added to the work. It's hard to see exactly what I'm talking about from a photo, but you can trust me on that. ;-)

Originally the idea was to just go over it in clear coat for the same of adding texture & brush strokes, but once the painting supplies came out she couldn't stop. The entire thing has now been covered completely in paint except for one small little area where there were reflective elements in the shot.

I have a picture of the canvas pre paint in my user gallery if your interested in comparing. They really do look almost exactly alike.

Here is the first finished product. Now the plan is to keep her busy with this all summer while she has time away from the kids & school.

T-B_aerial_painting.jpg

CopterCam

Very interesting idea............... are you saying that your captured image was over painted almost like a painting by numbers approach ? I know PS has an 'Oil on canvas' and Water colour effect which I have used on some old Castles.

Sid

Kilby

That's the idea, Crash. He have a couple of festivals we are going to attend this summer & fall. The above shot was taken in Ocean City, MD. We are heading back there this weekend to try and get some more shots (if I can get CC installed & working right in time). They have a big festival there in the fall where artists come and sell their stuff and the locally inspired work always sells strong. People want to have something like that hanging in their condo or beach house.

Crash

Defies Psychics
That's the idea, Crash. He have a couple of festivals we are going to attend this summer & fall. The above shot was taken in Ocean City, MD. We are heading back there this weekend to try and get some more shots (if I can get CC installed & working right in time). They have a big festival there in the fall where artists come and sell their stuff and the locally inspired work always sells strong. People want to have something like that hanging in their condo or beach house.

Stop by Secrets in OC for me!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Haha.. our condo is just across from Seacrets. Loads of fun to be had there.

Nice stuff Kilby.. vert impressive.. maybe we should start thinking of an aerial swap meet.. like We come over to you then you come over to us!

I am really wanting the wind to go away.. we have had record winds here for the last three weeks and there aint no sign of it letting up.. I have so many shoots planned but the wind is wrecking um all! GRR

Dave

Macsgrafs

Kilby, many years ago I used to get a screen grab from a DVD, up it to 6ft x 4ft with genuine fractals & then turn it into pop are & sell them on epants, made a good living from it, but the thing I found was that acrylic paint doesnt like sticking to epson inks on canvas!!!! How is your mrs finding painting over the inks? We found a solution in the end by only using 10% strength ink when printing by reducing the opacity of the actual photo.

Ross

Kilby

Hey Ross,

You know, we were wondering the same thing prior to this test, but it seems to be ok. The printer that we used has several finishing options including none. That's what we went with, it's just super flat and not gloss or anything.. feels like raw canvas really. And the paint sticks great because of it. I don't think that would have been the case if we ordered something with a finish (which I will if I don't plan to paint over it, just display the photo)

Macsgrafs

Hey Ross,

You know, we were wondering the same thing prior to this test, but it seems to be ok. The printer that we used has several finishing options including none. That's what we went with, it's just super flat and not gloss or anything.. feels like raw canvas really. And the paint sticks great because of it. I don't think that would have been the case if we ordered something with a finish (which I will if I don't plan to paint over it, just display the photo)

I used to use reflections canvas, its super white & gives superb photo results,but as you said NO coatings...that was our final choice out of all the canvas on the market, we even used Ultraviolet arcylic paint for added effect under the right lighting, that works superbly....search ebay for ultraviolet paint, I'm sure both yourself & your mrs will love the results...the lamps are easy to get as well on ebay (under computer parts). Hang your paint on the wall, illuminate above with a UV lamps & enjoy.

Ross