Aerial Ingredients: Lighting

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Excellent stuff! Lighting is so important. I just spent the last three days doing three separate shoots and basically had to do them all at dawn to catch the morning sun before the excellent English clouds moved in. Yesterday I waited for a few hours until it stopped raining and the sun came out for a whole ten minutes! Take-off, get the shots and then back home for tea.

Can't wait for the summer months!

Great work Ben!

Excellent stuff! Lighting is so important. I just spent the last three days doing three separate shoots and basically had to do them all at dawn to catch the morning sun before the excellent English clouds moved in. Yesterday I waited for a few hours until it stopped raining and the sun came out for a whole ten minutes! Take-off, get the shots and then back home for tea.

Can't wait for the summer months!

Great work Ben!

Thanks, Benjamin! The weather can certainly make a shoot challenging at times. We had a shoot on St. Kitts once that was super windy - way more than normal. We worked with it and finished with great footage, but at one point we had to take a long break along with the rest of the crew. They couldn't even use the camera crane it was blowing so hard! It made for a long day, but as you know, you've got to roll with the punches.

Your reel on your homepage is a stunner - well done!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Jolly gosh! Thanks Benjamin! That is like the biggest compliment, coming from you! To say your videos were an inspiration would be an understatement!

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

Wow two Benjamin's, not sure which to thank. Actually thanks to both of you, you both contribute great examples and information.

YBF your articles are really helpful. This is a great example of how the internet should work, you guys are clearly out front in this industry but take the time to share your work in an informative way to help the rest of us.

You can't pay for this kind of inspiration and support.

Thanks

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I told this to Ben this afternoon, I don’t know whether to thank him or send a sniper.... for sharing secrets!!
:D

More articles on the way. They take time, but I'd like to think they're worth it. Just trying to share what we've learned so it doesn't go to waste.

Quinton

More articles on the way. They take time, but I'd like to think they're worth it. Just trying to share what we've learned so it doesn't go to waste.

Its always good to share what you have learned, I know a lot of people keep their "secrets" to themselves, but actually showing other people how its done, pushes you to teach yourself more so you don't stand still.
BTW I thought the shot at 2:27 in the lighting video of the kids running into the sea was really great, like something you would see in a movie, the camera followed it perfectly.

Its always good to share what you have learned, I know a lot of people keep their "secrets" to themselves, but actually showing other people how its done, pushes you to teach yourself more so you don't stand still.
BTW I thought the shot at 2:27 in the lighting video of the kids running into the sea was really great, like something you would see in a movie, the camera followed it perfectly.

Good point! It has been helpful to put what we've learned into words - makes it more concrete. And it makes me think about how we can elevate our work further.

The shot you mentioned, the teenagers running into the ocean with the little dog, is one of my all time favorites. I love that shot. We did a similar move for a car commercial recently (hasn't aired yet).

I've got a list of a few more topics that relate to the creative side of aerial video. I've also got a list of possible technical articles as well, though the creative side interests me more. Hopefully I can publish another one next week.

Av8Chuck

Ben, what camera did you shoot the lighting video with and what settings for the twilight shots?

I'm curious how long did it take to shoot the Campus Aerial Reel 2014? Is all of your shoot two person or do you also do single operator shoot too?

I'm also really curious about about the logistics of preparing for these sorts of shoots.