My first Quadcopter build - your opinion is appreciated

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Make sure you find decent quality props. I don't know about HK carbon fiber, but their regular props are a no-no.

Steve_in_NJ

OK, here's what I am up to - and it all ain't good.
I bought a set of 14x4.7 carbon fiber props, for two reasons - they exist (and 14x3.8's don't seem to) and they didn't cost an arm and a leg. Here are the latest eCalc numbers. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65762317/forums/March_30_2014 plan.png

Almost as soon as I bought the 14" props I realized that I had a conflict. It seems that my frame isn't really set up for props that big. I will have to remove the gimbal rails (the gimbal I got doesnt seem to have clips to make use of them anyway), and it seems like the props will sweep over a bit more of the frame than is probably a good idea. Attached are pictures of where the 7" radius will end up.
View attachment 17062View attachment 17063

In other news, I am looking at these ESCs. Any objections? Or better ideas? My motors can take 6s battery power directly so I don't need BECs. And this seems to be a USA seller.
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/sp...rmal-esc-with-rapidesc-fw-for-multirotor.html

Thanks as always,
Steve

Attachments

• capture 2014 03 30 15.05.18.jpg
    capture 2014 03 30 15.05.18.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 324
  • capture 2014 03 30 15.05.30.jpg
    capture 2014 03 30 15.05.30.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 280

Steve_in_NJ

I took the word "suggested" literally. So what's the worse that can happen? They will physically it onto it. I suppose the washing-over the frame will cause vibration/instability/something else? If the problem is "too much", I can always get another frame and install the whole works into it. Or, as I have not ordered the motors yet, I can get 12x6 props and Sunnysky X4110s-20 400kv motors for these numbers:
8.3 flight
10.5 mixed
21.0 hover
but I note that even though 12" props will clear the rails, they also wash over the frame a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would imagine that the prop being over the frame could cause some turbulence and make the prop not work to full capacity/efficiency. But I have no experience with that. The worst case is it snips some wire up there.

The problem with this frame is the weight (classic HK - all the cool ones are too heavy!). I'm also not sure how the large size, low KV motors are going to handle this thing. Usually these frames are set up with higher Kv, smaller props and are more zippy. Have you read any build threads with this frame??? What motors are being used?

Steve_in_NJ

I'm also not sure how the large size, low KV motors are going to handle this thing. Usually these frames are set up with higher Kv, smaller props and are more zippy. Have you read any build threads with this frame??? What motors are being used?

I am down to 12x6 CF props, and fingers crossed the wash over the edges of the frame doesn't create too much havoc.

I COULD go back to the drawing board on eCalc and try to find a combo of battery/smaller-&-higher-kv-motor/prop that gets me to where I am now in terms of flight time, but I am not sure I know why (but then I don't know much in general!) What concerns do you have about the motors here? I am not looking for "zippy" here, though "sluggish" can't be good.

There is one discussion of the frame with a bunch of build notes from various folks included:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115146
The chosen motors range from 31XX to 41XX. Bigger batteries seem prevalent.

Here's my latest incarnation:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65762317/forums/Quad_build_April_1_2014.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a new topic I haven't really dealt with yet: How many channels do I need?

Elements:

it's a quadcopter
DJI Naza V2 controller (3 flight modes...)
a two axis gimbal - will control the tilt
a three camera switcher - I might even have two micro fpv cameras, beyond the gopro. I am hoping their utility will become apparent...
what's left? The rest of it - tx, fpv tx, iosd - doesn't require any control from the ground as far as I know.

Related question: As I still have to choose a radio I wonder - I think I need one that has TWO three-position switches (for the Naza and camera switcher) Will this be an issue?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think the common consensus is to get the most features/switches/channels you can afford. You are going to need quite a few. I had to start skimming over your list it was so long! :)

for basic flight check the Naza - probably at least 1 (3 position) switch for 3 flight modes, another for RTH (probably 2 position), and maybe a rotary pot for tuning. Then you'll want another pot (or slider) for your gimbal aim and the rest will be switches for your various camera functions I guess.

Whew!!!

I think my concern with the motors was that that low Kv is typically spinning much larger props, no? It's not that you CANT do it - and your eCalc looks ok. But you might not get the most out of a motor when using small props on a motor geared for large ones.

Also, make sure you double check that motors/ESCs can handle the 6s battery.

Steve_in_NJ

Moto,
Thanks again for your input. Re the motors - they are low kv, but the 6s provides plenty of "v" to get the props spinning when they need to.
By the way if you are wondering why some nutcase is starting out in the hobby with a "big" project like this one, the answer is that I sold one electric vehicle (see pic) in favor of another. The dough I got will just ABOUT finance this production.
This one (1975 Citicar) was almost as DIY as a quad, and parts are much harder to find.
View attachment 17124

Attachments

• Steves_citicar_for_sale.jpg
    Steves_citicar_for_sale.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 212

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That thing is neat!

i don't think this project is really too big. You are taking on some numbers/calculations that might be a bit odd - but they may work out just fine since even eCalc is just an estimate. That's the learning process...

your numbers look good though. Gonna be a fun ship.

Steve_in_NJ

for basic flight check the Naza - probably at least 1 (3 position) switch for 3 flight modes, another for RTH (probably 2 position), and maybe a rotary pot for tuning. Then you'll want another pot (or slider) for your gimbal aim and the rest will be switches for your various camera functions I guess.

OK so then I will need:

4 - basic quadcopter control
1 - 3 position for NAZA flight modes
1 - NAZA return to home
1 - pot for gimbal aim
1 - 3 position for camera selector

I will not need a tuning channel as I have the DJI bluetooth unit which will connect to a phone/ipad app.

So this looks like 8 in total. Oof. I have a Turnigy 9X - I cannot recall offhand if it's got what it turns out I need, in terms of 3 position switches / pots.
I understand that pots can sometimes be used in place of 3 position switches if need be.

Steve_in_NJ

How many does it have exactly? You can definitely control the camera pitch with the rotary pot.
Well it's got knobs galore (that's as technical as I get so far), and a couple of pots, and understand that the er9x firmware allows for assigning everything, so I think I will be covered...

View attachment 18394

Attachments

• Turnigy9x.jpg
    Turnigy9x.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Turnigy 9x.jpg
    Turnigy 9x.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 281

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That looks like at least 4 3-position switches and you probably have a 2-position (or a couple) for RTH. You should be all set.

Steve_in_NJ

Actually it only has one 3-position switch. The rest are 2-position. However there are 3 pots - I BELIEVE I can make use of a pot to stand in for a 3-position switch. Just this moment I am in the process of "upgrading" the 9X to the er9X firmware, which I understand is more programmable and "just better" than the original software.