Aerial GoPro Quadcopter Build Question

I would like to build a quadcopter specifically for light weight aerial photography using a GoPro 3+ (Black) and need some help making a motor and battery choice. The main goal is for smooth video and the longest flight times possible. Here is the list of components I'm considering:

Tarot FY650 frame
DJI Naza-M Lite Controller w/GPS
Tarot 2D Brushless Gimbal
X-Aircraft 30A ESCs
Servoless retracts
13 x 4 Carbon Fiber props? (Good size?)

Trying to decide between two types of recommended Sunny Sky motors: X4108S 600KV or the 2814-11 700KV

Also, not sure on battery choice (5000+mAH): 3S or 4S?

Thank you in advance!

Leigh

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would like to build a quadcopter specifically for light weight aerial photography using a GoPro 3+ (Black) and need some help making a motor and battery choice. The main goal is for smooth video and the longest flight times possible. Here is the list of components I'm considering:

Tarot FY650 frame
DJI Naza-M Lite Controller w/GPS
Tarot 2D Brushless Gimbal
X-Aircraft 30A ESCs
Servoless retracts
13 x 4 Carbon Fiber props? (Good size?)

Trying to decide between two types of recommended Sunny Sky motors: X4108S 600KV or the 2814-11 700KV

Also, not sure on battery choice (5000+mAH): 3S or 4S?

Thank you in advance!

Leigh

Welcome to the forum Leigh.

I don't have personal experience between the two - but I've read many post that suggest heading up to the Naza M V2 instead of the Lite version. You'd have to search for the reasons why.

The motor/ESC/prop /battery choices will all work together. Best bet is to spring for the $5 fee for eCalc and plug some numbers in. General rule is that the lower the Kv motor, the larger the prop. The higher Kv will want a smaller prop. Your choices are close - so may not be too much difference. Check out the prop/battery data on the motor product pages for helping chose between appropriate options.

Do you have experience flying? If not, I'd stick to some composite props since there's a good chance you'll break a few. :). Saves some $ and easier to replace (mentally - see $)

Make sure you get some practice in before strapping a gopro/gimbal to the craft. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum Leigh.

I don't have personal experience between the two - but I've read many post that suggest heading up to the Naza M V2 instead of the Lite version. You'd have to search for the reasons why.

The motor/ESC/prop /battery choices will all work together. Best bet is to spring for the $5 fee for eCalc and plug some numbers in. General rule is that the lower the Kv motor, the larger the prop. The higher Kv will want a smaller prop. Your choices are close - so may not be too much difference. Check out the prop/battery data on the motor product pages for helping chose between appropriate options.

Do you have experience flying? If not, I'd stick to some composite props since there's a good chance you'll break a few. :). Saves some $ and easier to replace (mentally - see $)

Make sure you get some practice in before strapping a gopro/gimbal to the craft. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you for your response. I'll check into the differences between the two flight controllers. Good idea about the props! Thank you again. Leigh

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thank you for your response. I'll check into the differences between the two flight controllers. Good idea about the props! Thank you again. Leigh

No sweat. That's what we are here for! :)

youll find a ton of folks on this forum a lot more knowledgable than me, and they're willing to help. But make sure you dig deep on the research. That's how you'll get familiar with the terms, options and ultimately your choices.

The eCalc is well worth it too. It allows you to hone in on components (it doesn't list every motor choice, but you can get close with similar spec'd options). It also helps get to understand the relationship between all the components.

You didn't list a transmitter. Do you have one already?

No sweat. That's what we are here for! :)

youll find a ton of folks on this forum a lot more knowledgable than me, and they're willing to help. But make sure you dig deep on the research. That's how you'll get familiar with the terms, options and ultimately your choices.

The eCalc is well worth it too. It allows you to hone in on components (it doesn't list every motor choice, but you can get close with similar spec'd options). It also helps get to understand the relationship between all the components.

You didn't list a transmitter. Do you have one already?

Sounds good. I've been flying R/C sailplanes and airplanes for a long time and just recently started flying a microcopter (Hubsan 107), which I really enjoy. I've flown a friend's DJI Phantom which is also a lot of fun. I ordered a Hobby King Turnigy 9XR transmitter (which I was skeptical of because of the low price, but I've read so many great reviews I decided to give it a try) along with a long range FRY SKY telemetry module / receiver. I fly my airplanes mostly with a HiTech Optic 6. Thanks again for your suggestions and support. Leigh