Aeronavics / Droidworx ADX3 Yaw issues

plingboot

Been trying to dial in my ADX3 (Y6) build recently.

Originally had an issue with yo-yo-ing but seem to have solved that with more vertical gain.

However, now having an issue with yaw.

Firstly it's quite (very) reluctant to yaw and when it does it doesn't feel 'connected' - i feel like it's playing catch-up to my inputs - and tends to increase in altitude too (in an uncontrolled kind of way) - and that's NOT me pushing the throttle when applying yaw - been testing this a lot.

Secondly it'll yaw clockwise (looking from above), but almost refuses to yaw anti-clockwise. I have to give it full left stick before i gat any sign of movement and then it feels uncontrolled.

Should increased Yaw gain make it more responsive or less responsive to stick input?

Wkm flight controller, 11" graupners, 800Kv torxpower motors, AUW with 2 x 4000mAh packs = 3200g

Basic Gains are T=210 R=210 Y=210 V=230
Atti gains both 100

Any thoughts?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Are all your props parallel to each other and the ground. This is crucial with coaxials?

They do take some setting up, dont just rely on the centring holes. They can get you close but you have to make doubly sure everything is spot on. I would also increase your Y gains.

Dave

plingboot

cheers…

all props dead level and parallel to each other - filed some off each motor mount peg so i have some lateral play to adjust and even bought a set of feelers to nip them up right.

i've got the Y on a dial - will give it another go later.

i'm ruddy paranoid about this build as it's worth so much is the least robust of the three MR's i have in action - i just need to look at the AV130 funny and it threatens to damage itself. :upset:

droidworx

Haha - just make sure you don't look funny at it and she should be alright... :tennis: No seriously - can't say much of the gimbal of course but frame can handle a bit. Re. your setup - what pitch do your props have...? You could try a slightly higher pitch on the bottom set - with some increased efficiency she could be more responsive too... Also - do you use the right speedies..? They should have a 400 Hz refresh rate minimum - lots of inputs from the FC so if they're not fast enough the craft could respond sluggish similar to what you describe... Just guessing - it sounds like you know what you're doing but it might help... Let us know how you go! Cheers... Linda

plingboot

thanks for the reply…

using graupner elektro 11" top and bottom, don't think they have an option with higher pitch.

esc's are HK f-30's flashed with simonK rapidEsc firmware, but going to try Falco-wii-esc code some time this week - buttery smooth on my discovery/wkm build.

my gut thought is that i need higher kV motors and 10" props.

I'm running 800kV motors at the moment, but knowing how much a set of NTM 1100kV motors improved my TBS Discovery build, i'm thinking they might be worth a try, but suspect i'm going to need bigger DW motor mounts to try that - which isn't going to happen unfortunately.

I'll post a pic of her later in the DW photos thread - despite the teething problems, she looks the business…

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave just chuck some hobby wing/tmotor esc's on it timed high I am running DW Axi on both of my ADx3's no mither. 10" on the standard and 11'" on the HL. I have tried various prop set ups but the Graupners seem best for me.

Dave

plingboot

Have say i'm feeling very, very glum about my Y6 build today and beginning to wonder whether it's actually worth persevering.

If anyone can offer some help to sort the issues i'd much appreciate it.

ANOTHER TEST
Had another fly of it this evening the issues noted are all still there and to be honest it's not too bloody dangerous to fly as it is.

The issues are massive vibrations - the whole of the upper part - deck and arms - vibrates like mad and this in turn causes uncontrolled yaw.

THE CAUSE
I initially thought the issue was related to either the WKM or the sec's, but i'm now 99% sure it's related to the AV130, battery mount and it's landing gear and the way it's attached to the rails.

I purchased a whole AV130 360º degree set-up, it quickly became obvious that the 360º pan set-up was way too flexible to be of any use when mounted to the rails, so i ditched that part and opted to just mount the AV130 with the landing gear.

This is less 'flexy' but there is still a huge amount of movement between the upper and lower parts - the assembly moves in it's grommets and the rails also twist.

In flight the AV130 assembly and battery packs look like they've all steady as a rock, but the business end - decks, arms, motors - is as a single unit vibrating like mad.

I've spent a fortune on this build and don't really want to spend hundreds more fixing something which IMHO should not need fixing.

Unless i can find a cost effective (cheap) way of getting rid of the vibrations, by mounting the AV130 assembly to the decks and arms, so it no longer flexes, i fear that she'll be reluctantly heading, in bits, to the classifieds.

---
View attachment 6619View attachment 6620

Attachments

• DWY6_close_up.jpg
    DWY6_close_up.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 329
  • DWY6.jpg
    DWY6.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 340

Jem

I've been having yaw issues with my Y6 as well. Looks like I've got a very similar set up to you.
ADX3 HL, WKM, T-motor 40A ESCs, Torxpower 3536 motors, Graupner 11.5 props, 2x Turnigy 5000mah 30-40c, AV130 with Panasonic GH2. Total weight 4.75kg.
All was fine until I fitted a AV130 and GH2. I assumed the extra weight is the problem.
I've been out of the loop recently and have not had a chance to fix it but next week I'm on to it. I'll let you know what

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
If you are convinced its the PH mount then dump it, put on standard landing gear and mount the AV130 to that.. I really cant see how it can cause so much vibration.. I am just uploading a test flight with some new kit on mine.. Its goiung to be private but Ill pm you the access.

Dave

PB it sound like your gains are high. There should be no vibrations at all.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I had a revelation tonight while shooting a hotel with my y6 under DJI woochang control. I have gone from really really bad yaw issues to a smooth flying heli with some firmware changes and gain adjustments. BUT, the heli still is very hard to keep pointed in the same direction you are traveling in. My octo does not have this problem but it is also using the hoverfly pro. I am wondering if the issue is actually more related to having fewer props in the y6 orientation. On all my multirotors there is always some kind of altitude change under hard yawing and vise versa. but the octo clearly has less. Again i dont know if this is a DJI vs. HF issue or not. Any expert insight on this? It's a big issue I frequently have issues with on the Y6. It makes sense that having more props means less change is required in rotational speed to yaw the craft and it is also more evened out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Booma

Hi - I have a Droidworx/Naza Y6 that I am very happy with. The alt hold pos hold and ability to fly in wind are excellent. I did have some issues with yaw and vibration but managed to overcome them.

With the yaw it was not very scientific - I simply centered my rudder trim and tweaked the engine mounts until any yaw tendencies disappeared, I feel quite sure it is running efficiently like this because when I was simply trimming the yaw out at the TX one of my motors would run significantly hotter than the others but with this approach they all run cool and even.

With the vibrations I went through a bunch of 10 inch props starting with some cheap electrics that just about rattled the machine apart - then moving on to APC which were better but the huge gain I made was fitting Xoar 10X5 that really fixed things up and I am able to shoot with small CMOS censors like Gopro without any rolling shutter.

Just my NZD 2c worth - hope it helps.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye up Booma. Thanks for posting this and welcom to MRF. Would be nice to see some pics of your Y6

Dave