Advice upgrading from 3S - 4S on Custom Frame

Hood49

Thanks for your comments.
I have just been to the shop around the corner. The guys is pretty expensive but has only quality stuff. He advised me to take a power distribution board. Got that.
Waiting for the ESC's now to get to the next step.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hood49

Some pics

IMG_1836_zps9e19800c.jpg

Putting the new SunnySky's on...

IMG_1837_zpsf26ec66e.jpg

Still waiting for the ESC's

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
You definitely don't want JST for the upgrade. I would question whether it was a good idea for the old rig.

You should calculate your amp draw to determine whether the XT60 is appropriate (the 60 stands for 60 amps). 3.5mm billets usually work well. You can also get a power distribution board, but only a decent quality one (again rated for your max amp draw + a little headroom). Then you hard solder right to the power distro board.

As far as the wire gauge - if you solder a squid for power, I always use 12 and/or 14 gauge. It would be a bit overkill/heavy for some rigs - but it can then be used on another rig if it requires a more sturdy gauge. Just watch the weight.

Actually the 4S setup will be better on JST connectors, more volts, less current, same with the wire!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Actually the 4S setup will be better on JST connectors, more volts, less current, same with the wire!

Maybe we are not talking about the same JST? I may be referring to the wrong thing. I'm talking about the small red connectors (like on a tiny 3S battery) that a 14AWG wire wouldn't fit into.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
No we are talking about the same thing. They are rated for 3A and should never be used on a 450 size quad except for running LED's or video. It probably came out a little wrong, was trying to say that the JST's will handle 3S better than they will handle 3S, they should not be used though for power distribution to ESC's, just silly that someone did.

I know manufacturers that will tell you that an 18A ESC with JST connectors on a 450 quad will be just fine as a quad will only draw 4-6 amps per ESC when hovering but would you want to risk a $1,000 quad to some 10 cent connectors that just might not be good enough or when you give it the beans and it draws 15-30 amps per ESC.

Best way is a proper battery distribution arrangement that is totally bulletproof.

Pete

Hood49

Guys,

I am a couple of stages further.

I have remounted the quad with the new SunnySky's, New ESC's.
The ESC's were very hard to get fitted as they are slightly larger than the old ones. The front ones I needed to put in sideways to make it fit.
A lot of soldering: Power board, motor wires,... Going crazy :)

Fired it up and all is beeping as it should. I also checked the rotation of the motors and sorted that out with revering the ESC wires.

I have got a 4000 Mah Genns Ace 4S battery. I wanna get some flight time with the quad. However, the place at the back is getting too heavy I think with this new battery. This is going to alter the Center of Gravity substantially. So maybe mount it in the middle on the top. Not the best thing when looks are important but it might allow the quad to fly better? It also givens me som room to put some stuff at the back.

What do you think?

IMG_1858_zps1224e2cc.jpg

IMG_1859_zps7cea7803.jpg

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think you're best off putting the battery center top. CoG is paramount for most controllers to function at their best, so you might as well make it easy on the poor thing :)

Hood49

I had 9" props but now mounted 10" as they say that you get better flight time.

Problem is that the SunnySky 2012 motors are all delivered with a clockwise tread. I hear stories that the nuts spin off. How true is that?
I do not want my quad to come falling down from the sky. I have a nasty feeling it will do without propellers.

Therefore I have put a locking nut on-top of the first nut. I have done this only for the two motors that are spinning clockwise.

Are there any other solutions for this? Do you think that the lock nuts will work?

Thanks.

Locknut_zpse9054e22.jpg

Hood49

Great indeed. I do not have any nylocks. I will go and look for some.
I have tightened the two clockwise props with the lock nut and I will try to go and fly this evening.

I have powered up everything with the props to see if all is going as it should (with a big weight on the quad). Jeez, these motors go in 4S! Looking forward to getting this thing in the air.

Hood49

Yesterday evening fired it up in the field but it wanted to flip over all the time!
Back home I discovered that I inverted motor 3 and motor 4 plugs on the Naza. :upset:

Keep you posted.

Hood49

Just made my first successful flight.

Wow, These SunnySky's with 4S are like a rocket! I am impressed. I needed to do some trimming. Goes well with the 10X5 props.

Got a Genns Ace 4000 Mah and after 10 minutes cells were at 3.85. I needed to stop because of rain in the air. But I suppose I will get 15 minutes out of them.

It flies like a wasp on drugs. Really happy.

The only thing I noticed is that when accelerating it shivers a little. Tuning does not stop with these things :livid: