advice for a build around a blackmagic micro camera

tmuschi

I am thinking of building a uav to fly the new blackmagic micro studio camera. I would like to hear some advice from everyone on frame size, gimbal, ect... I already have several 4s 10000 mah batteries and was thinking of mounting 2 if it would increase my flight time instead of having to buy all new bigger ones. So the frame would be a larger one but I don't want to over build and be flying something so big its hard to pack up and needs a wide open space to fly. I do a lot of flying in parks around trees. I not flying in woods but something hugh might be restrictive. Also I was wondering on any gimbal suggestions. Thanks for any helpful input.

Marino215

I'm doing the same thing as I write this. I'm going with a hexa build. I ordered the tarot T810 iron man full kit, I just got the KDE 4014 380kv with KDE 55amp esc's in but I'm having a difficult time choosing the flight controller. My builder says dji A2 but I'd really like to stay away for this build. (My next one definitely) I'm thinking Pixhawk since hoverfly scrapped its GPS and the mikrokopter FC looks so confusing, everything is a circuit board. Doesn't it need housing? Idk. But that's where I am building this hex for the micro. I already have the bmpcc and I can definitely fly that with this set up but the micro is built for it which is why I'm switching to that. I'll be chronicling my build to show everyone so I'll keep you posted, please do the same. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vermiform

I'm doing the same thing as I write this. I'm going with a hexa build. I ordered the tarot T810 iron man full kit, I just got the KDE 4014 380kv with KDE 55amp esc's in but I'm having a difficult time choosing the flight controller. My builder says dji A2 but I'd really like to stay away for this build. (My next one definitely) I'm thinking Pixhawk since hoverfly scrapped its GPS and the mikrokopter FC looks so confusing, everything is a circuit board. Doesn't it need housing? Idk. But that's where I am building this hex for the micro. I already have the bmpcc and I can definitely fly that with this set up but the micro is built for it which is why I'm switching to that. I'll be chronicling my build to show everyone so I'll keep you posted, please do the same. Good luck

What size props?

Marino215

Looking at around 4/5kg including payload. I'll have a detailed list with weight so we can compare battery set ups, different payloads, etc. Most likely I'll go with the Pixhawk for this. I'm Just researching the best GPS then I'll pull the trigger and get it started. Thanks

SKY-FLIX

I hope you are referring to the Micro CINEMA camera (the 1080P model), because the Micro STUDIO camera (the 4K model), doesn't have on-camera recording, and would require a Shogun or some other recording device, which is completely impractical for UAV work. I have flown the larger Blackmagic Cinema on a 2800W Tarot T15, and it does so without any problems whatsoever

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I've been considering a similar build, thinking about a midsize Tarot frame with a Gremsy H3, which will also carry a GH4 in a pinch. The little BMC is a GREAT looking camera, I fiddled with one at a trade show recently and was pretty impressed with the features.

tmuschi

I hope you are referring to the Micro CINEMA camera (the 1080P model), because the Micro STUDIO camera (the 4K model), doesn't have on-camera recording, and would require a Shogun or some other recording device, which is completely impractical for UAV work. I have flown the larger Blackmagic Cinema on a 2800W Tarot T15, and it does so without any problems whatsoever

That sucks.

Thanks for heads up. I didn't realize the studio didn't have on-board recording capability. You would think that they would have that option but I guess its designed for other applications.

Planning a similar build. I have been reading about the Tarot ZYX M Flight Controller. There's some great info on this forum about it. The camera is a great idea since it has SBUS capabilities. Camera is pretty small and light so I was going to use the Tarot X6 frame. I originally wanted a DJI S1000 or the Tarot X8, but I didn't want to use an A2 or WK-M. I just don't want to be limited to the BlackMagic Camera. Almost ready to pull the trigger. Still doing research though. Good luck with your build...

Dylan M

Which Switch...
Is that their new small camera with SBUS support?

Definitely go SuperX for your FC, you won't look back.

Tarot X4 (coax x8 conversion) build is going great! About to have my maiden flight soon. Still looking at gimbals for this particular cam. Would like to keep it light and if possible not extend the legs like with the dji ronin m. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamaraMedia

Jakub's Infinity MR with AlexMos and encoders has been good to those who have purchased and posted on MRF. Reasonably priced and great customer service.

Jakub's Infinity MR with AlexMos and encoders has been good to those who have purchased and posted on MRF. Reasonably priced and great customer service.
Dope! Thanks. But a tad bit expensive for my taste. If I'm gonna spend that type of money then I might as well get a Ronin M. I just don't really want to mod the legs since I will have to rivet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk