AD8-HLE Vibrations

RBlax

Hey guys, I'm just trying to tweak out some vibrations that I get. Anyone here with a AD8 have a route that they went? I was thinking about under the copter, making another circle that is attached to the underside with something along the lines of http://at.rs-online.com/web/p/products/474-773/. Then I would attach the skids & gymbal to this.

Also, does anyone fly an AD8 without the skids? I've considered taking them off because I catch and release by hand. I don't like the vibrations that are caused during ground contact - maybe that's me being picky.

I notice that over at Quadrocopters, Jeff's video's look pretty amazing. I might have to give them a call. I've been kicking myself for buying my AD8 two months prior to the release of the Cinestar.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I don't like the vibrations that are caused during ground contact

Explain.

Vibrations - trying to stop them getting to the camera first should be the last option. First should be to find the cause.

EVERY MR is going to vibrate to some extent.. its just the nature of the beast. I may be trying to teach you to suck eggs here but are you sure everything is a it should be, from props balance, to motot mounts correct and set so ALL the props are parallel to the ground..

The mounts you have linked to are way to soft for the landing gear. Try a gel pad between mounting plate and landing gear like this stuff.

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/k10457a_adhesive_gyro-p-5781.html

Are the vibrations showing on your camera.. what camera are you using?

Dave

RBlax

I'm using a 5DMII.

My booms and the motor mounts have pre-cut holes to ensure they are parallel. However I can double check but I think I'm fine there. The props are balanced very well. I understand the importance of stopping it at it's source. I want to go further and make sure that I am providing clients with the best footage possible. Photography is sharp, video is lacking in my opinion and just want to find out what other people are suggesting.

http://vimeo.com/28043478

The reason I was considering those mounts is because of the guy that commented on my video. I'm curious if anyone else might be doing what he is suggesting.

Again, the vibration isn't insane... It seems to be a very high frequency.

RBlax

Ground Resonance - this is a term that I knew when I flew rotary. I know that the impact isn't as severe with our type of machines. However, I guess I'm a little paranoid. When on the ground, there is no way for the vibration energy to escape the frame, and I believe things like the nuts and bolts that hold everything tight can loosen more easily during this phase of flight. This is why I prefer to catch and release by hand.

In a full scale chopper, if we landed and it was a little rough, you pick back up off the ground so that the energy could be release through your rotors. If not, you could literally watch your helicopter self-destruct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RihcJR0zvfM&feature=related
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vICf8l-KV0
[/URL]

jes1111

Not sure how you'd intend to use those silicone studs, but remember that they should only be use in compression/shear. You can't "hang" anything from them.

RBlax

Good point Jes.

I'd like to find one that is threaded and not stud'ed. I could then build a two-tier platform that mount under the copter in between the skids.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
My booms and the motor mounts have pre-cut holes to ensure they are parallel. However I can double check but I think I'm fine there.

These are to get it a close as possible BUT.. you should double check because the boom clamping bolt at the other end from the motors has some space around the fixing bolt. This is only very slight may be .25mm but it can still through the booms out that fraction. this related to movement at the other end on 13" props can be significant.. check measurement at prop tips is equal.

There is a plate you can buy that sits between the AV200 mount base and the camera.. I think RTRyder got one. They are made in Israel and are availible on ebay for about $8.. it thnk.

BUT try the gel I suggested between the frame and the landing gear where the rubber one is at the moment..

BorisS went down this route I think PM him and ask him to ump in here..

Dave

Dave

jappie911

Hi,

I am also in the process off trying to get my AD-6 HLE with AV-200 vibration free.

At the moment it is not possible to get good video with my GH2, although my AD6 looks almost vibration free, it has some big movements on film.

So no high frequent but big movements up and down.

What I have done:

- Props well balanced.
- Software of MK tuned well, and flying well.
- A self made alu plate on the camera holder of Av-200 with Gel pads under it.

Can some of you post your MK settings for the AV-200 maybe, thinking it's also comming from the servo's maybe, fighting to get it right.

Because there is no manual with Av-200, I mounted it as follows: The big white bold through the two base plates, with rubber ring, and 4 extra small bolds on the edges of the plate. (All supplied with kit..)

I am not sure I did this right ?

Or any other tips?

I have my other MK Hexa's with a cheap self tuned mount super vibration free, hope to get this also as good as those..

Greetings from Holland,

Jasper

RBlax

Big movements - do you have a video?

One thing I noticed with the AV200, the way they mounted the tracks could have been done better, If the bolt that keeps them in place loosens, then you will experience that problem. I had to position and re-tighten those bolts to ensure there was no wiggle room.

jappie911

Think I deleted the video already, will try again in a few days...

Don't understan exactly which bolts you mean Rblax..?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Take a look at tis it may help

http://www.photohigher.co.nz/pdf/360Pan kit assembly_AV200_MR.pdf

Also check out RTRyders post

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...unt-recommedations&p=8668&viewfull=1#post8668

If you have an iPhone check out the vibration app. Very useful for isolating vibrations. I have used it extensively on my ADX3 build.

Its not the mount thats the vibration problem you need to isolate the vibration before it hits the mount. The mount is not designed to absorb vibrations its a camera mount.

Sure there may be issues in setting the mount up to perform to its full potential but the mount in itself does not vibrate an is not the cause of your vibration issues through your camera.

There are lots of amazing videos taken using this mount.. check the ones on DW's web site.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

Rblax, you're already at a point that most of APV guys trying to reach. I wonder how silicon gels will help you.

RBlax

Its not the mount thats the vibration problem you need to isolate the vibration before it hits the mount. The mount is not designed to absorb vibrations its a camera mount.

Indeed a lot of great video's with this mount... HOWEVER, if those roller tracks are loose at all and do not HUG the rail, it will jump up and down. When he says his problem was more noticeable than high frequency vibrations - something is seriously wrong in my opinion. He's got something way out of balance (props / motors) or the AV200. The material that the AV200 is constructed out of is extremely delicate. If you have a camera on board and you have the slightest rough landing. I'm willing to bet that things have shifted and bent on that mount. Another reason why I catch and release by hand.

Personally to quickly check your props, getting down level with your machine with motors at idle and just looking at where the tips of the blades coincide with one another. If one tip rotates higher than the other, bingo that's a problem. That's a simple and quick place to start. If it's not that, then I would seriously look at the AV200's track.

OVDT - What do you mean I'm already at a point that most APV guys are trying to reach? Are you suggesting that I do not need to improve further?? ;)

Kidding aside, I want the least amount of vibration possible. Vibration is always going to be there, understood, but if you can minimize it, images and video will look sharp.

ovdt

OVDT - What do you mean I'm already at a point that most APV guys are trying to reach? Are you suggesting that I do not need to improve further?? ;)

Kidding aside, I want the least amount of vibration possible. Vibration is always going to be there, understood, but if you can minimize it, images and video will look sharp.

No no, we should progressively improve our vibration dampening solutions! :)

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

C
heck out the vibration & shock mount sections. You will find silicon gel pads and stripes. It's worth trying them. When I visited Sandor from digitech.nl, he was extensively using this silicon chip gels on the AV200 mounts. 5mm height. He says, the frame must be rigid as possible and applying silicon gels mostly solves the problem on Droidworx + AV200 combo.

I have terrible vibrations with my system too. (My camera mount is terrible for video) What I'm doing in order:

* I'm using JXF wood props now, they are very well balanced and the vibration is almost gone from the props. Cheap solution to the CFK ones. I had hard time balancing APC electric props.
* The mounting system of Droidworx that connecting center plate to the landing gear is needs some modification. I'm putting silicon gels between these compartments before tightly screwing it.
* Even though I had Droidworx V2 AD6-HL frame, the motors weren't perfectly leveled. After 30 hours of flight, when I checked the leveling, Two motors were angled around 3-5 degrees.
* I'm using a DSLR, it's best to stabilize the lens to the mounting plate. Boris had a great video about this in his long topic.
* And I'll apply silicon gels to the camera mount plate, too.
* And, I need to improve my piloting skills for video capturing.