A2 Regret

Just received my A2 and I am bench testing and familiarizing myself with DJI software etc, coming from APM.
I am having some problems with the A2. Specifically it will not be recognized in the Assistant Software unless the Compass Pro is disconnected. Once connected everything seems ok, then I can do IMU calibration. Then, plug in compasspro while usb still connected and compass pro appears in device info and connections tab But, accelerations stop moving and unable to do IMU calibration.

I have followed the connection diagram to the letter.
Have tried on 2 computers
I have tried with receiver bound and un bound to radio.
I have checked All of the firmware versions are latest.
I also tried powering the A2 from PMU 6s battery and nothing happens???
Maybe it is my inexperience with DJI, but I am not feeling confident about this A2.

Would greatly appreciate any advice

Thanks,
Plex

kloner

Aerial DP
what firmware version and howdid you check that everything was up to date? each piece has to be updated, you got that right?

I also tried powering the A2 from PMU 6s battery and nothing happens???
this is troubling, that is the only way it should have ever been powered. how else did you power it?

I am not feeling confident about this A2
you should be

what firmware version and howdid you check that everything was up to date? each piece has to be updated, you got that right?
In A2 Assistant Device Info and Connection Tab, Click on highlited hardware and see device info. Everything says "latest" but I went through them all anyway.
I was powering unit from USB only. Pretty sure I read in the manual that is sufficient for upgrading firmware, binding and set up. Am I wrong about that?
When powering from 6s to PMU, red light on PMU, nothing on FC.

kloner

Aerial DP
thought you were gonna say the 8 esc's were powering it...

i would ignore "latest" and look for the version to match the firmware in the program your using.... i'm pretty sure the pmu not only needs to be hooked up to can buss but i thought it needs power to talk to it at all? have one but haven't messed with firmware since i got it a year ago.... it scares the crap out of me to even look at the gui for fear it'll go crazy on me

are you looking at v 2.3 firmware?

Went back and checked everything.
Main Controller is 2.3 and says latest firmware is 2.3
LED is 2.0 says latest version is 2.0
IMU is 2.2 latest version is 2.2
GPS Pro is 2.2 latest version 2.2
GPS Module is 2.2 latest version 2.2
Software current version 1.3 "No Updates!" is what is says.

From Manual
1.2.2 Configure using Assistant Software on a PC
A2 flight control system can takes power via the USB port during configuration, no additional battery is required.
Note that the USB port can supply power no more than 500mA, an additional battery is necessary if connection
failure or intermittent working.
I should have plenty of power on my USB bus in fact I have tried 2 computers, both more than adequate. But I will try battery and USB together.
Update:
Plugged battery first before USB. Power light on FC ON. GPS Recognized, IMU Calibration success. Abnormal compass data, but I am indoors.
Feeling better about A2, Feeling humbled by my impatience.
I have been reading forums for weeks anticipating the arrival of this FC, seeing others struggling and thought to myself "read the manual!" why don't you? .....
Thanks for your replies!

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, i kinda remember that now.

Where you mention won't start up unless compass pro is disconnected, that the gps puck? i've never heard of that..... you need support, did you get it from a reputable dealer? sounds like the gps puck is broken, "tahoe ed" is gonna be your man

are all the parts plugged into the right ports? it kinda has a set spot for stuff to plug in...

Yea windows did not recognize. as in no "device connected" jingle when connecting with gps puck. with puck unplugged, voila'. BUT then connected battery first, then USB, all recognized. Did not anticipate that with a 1200 watt power supply and workstation motherboard.
Thanks for your input!

Fink

From a strictly IT perspective, given that is what I do 70 hours a week (would rather be flying my S1000, of course), this sounds like driver weirdness to me. Have you tried uninstalling the DJI Windows Driver and reinstalling? I have not personally done this with DJI's driver, but of course have done it a thousands times with other drivers.

Just something to try. Or, do you have any other DJI equipment like a Phantom/NAZA that you can test with to see if you have any other weirdness there? I assume you would have mentioned this if you had it laying around to test, but wanted to mention it.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

From a strictly IT perspective, given that is what I do 70 hours a week (would rather be flying my S1000, of course), this sounds like driver weirdness to me. Have you tried uninstalling the DJI Windows Driver and reinstalling? I have not personally done this with DJI's driver, but of course have done it a thousands times with other drivers.

Just something to try. Or, do you have any other DJI equipment like a Phantom/NAZA that you can test with to see if you have any other weirdness there? I assume you would have mentioned this if you had it laying around to test, but wanted to mention it.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

No, No weirdness here. I tried this on a macbook pro and a PC. The flight controller MUST be powered from battery or all of the components will not be recognized by the software.

Tahoe Ed

No, No weirdness here. I tried this on a macbook pro and a PC. The flight controller MUST be powered from battery or all of the components will not be recognized by the software.

That is strange. I use my PC and my MacBook Pro as well and I can program from Assistant with the main Lipo connected or not. However, if I am using my Lightbridge, I need the lipo.

fdproductions

FD Productions
That is strange. I use my PC and my MacBook Pro as well and I can program from Assistant with the main Lipo connected or not. However, if I am using my Lightbridge, I need the lipo.

ed,
just recently started having some major throttle spikes on both my a2 units (100+ flights cumulatively on both aircrafts s900/1000 on 2.3) is there something new I should update... basically instead of ruddering out of control like in v2.1 i get erratic throttle outbursts and after 2-3 seconds a forced failsafe response from the aircraft... :dejection:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it's happening on both aircraft? coincidentally at about the same time since they began flying?

Tahoe Ed

ed,
just recently started having some major throttle spikes on both my a2 units (100+ flights cumulatively on both aircrafts s900/1000 on 2.3) is there something new I should update... basically instead of ruddering out of control like in v2.1 i get erratic throttle outbursts and after 2-3 seconds a forced failsafe response from the aircraft... :dejection:

I agree with Bart that for this to happen to both at the same time is very odd. I will say that the solar activity has been very high lately. I would reload all your firmware, do the Advanced IMU calibration, check all your connections particularly the can bus and recalibrate your Tx after checking the mapping in Assistant. It is possible that it may be your Tx as I assume that you use the same one on both craft.

fdproductions

FD Productions
I agree with Bart that for this to happen to both at the same time is very odd. I will say that the solar activity has been very high lately. I would reload all your firmware, do the Advanced IMU calibration, check all your connections particularly the can bus and recalibrate your Tx after checking the mapping in Assistant. It is possible that it may be your Tx as I assume that you use the same one on both craft.

Understood will do.

Bartman said:
Yes sir, super strange really hoping its an anomaly.

Updating original Post.
If I plug Both USB cables 1. IOSD and 2. LED Simultaneously, THEN FC System is recognized in DJI-A2 assistant software and I can operate normally without plugging in Lipos. BUT, I get a PMU Connection Error.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Sudden throttle spikes can also be a consequence of vibration in the airframe(s).

ed,

Cbergen

Are you certain you have the appropriate items plugged into can-bus 1 and can-bus 2?

I had trouble initially with the GPS puck plugged into the wrong can-bus...

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Desktop PCs have a regulated 5 VDC power supply with lots of current to feed thru each USB port.
Notebook computers have a very limited 5 VDC power supply source for feeding external USB devices..... external devices are expected to be externally powered.

Part of the reason is that Notebook PCs are designed to minimize load so that the Notebook batteries can last a bit longer and there are battery power saving modes in Notebook PCs that further limit peripheral power ability.
Also if you Notebook batteries are nearing the end of life, they will have higher internal resistance which demands more from the AC power supply leaving less power for other devices.

We learned that many years ago in the Industrial automation world.

Summary: Don't expect Notebook PCs to be able to provide all the power required to adequately power all externally connected USB devices!

Updating original Post.
If I plug Both USB cables 1. IOSD and 2. LED Simultaneously, THEN FC System is recognized in DJI-A2 assistant software and I can operate normally without plugging in Lipos. BUT, I get a PMU Connection Error.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
You are getting a pmu error because the PMU needs normal power. If the A2 is plugged in to its normal supply and then link up the A2 to a computer you get no more PMU errors,