A2 fails- back to square one

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well, brand new A2 on today. Flights 1-6 were spot on. Flight 7 ah ah wooops! The aircraft started to do its own thing, just as others have reported. So, I switched into manual mode and was able to get control back and brought the aircraft back into land. Even in manual mode it twitched a bit. On landing, the motors simply would not stop idling despite throttle being down for ages. In the end I thought I would slowly increase throttle and then go back to zero to see if this would stop the motors. Despite my right hand being no where near the right stick, as I increased power the aircraft tipped over. This at least exposed the power leads and so I was able to kill the machine. No visible damage done to the aircraft at all although with this being a tip over I will have to get two new props and motors.

I genuinely thought that the A2 issues seen thus far were more than likely to be a problem with a specific batch of A2s and with my new one I thought it would have been from a newer batch. Well, that theory has gone to pot now. Time to call it quits on the A2 for the foreseeable future and put on a trusty ol' WKM.

Just downloading logs now so will report back once I have had a good look.

In terms of numbers- I can now count 12 A2s that I know of and 8 have failed.

econfly

Well, brand new A2 on today. Flights 1-6 were spot on. Flight 7 ah ah wooops! The aircraft started to do its own thing, just as others have reported. So, I switched into manual mode and was able to get control back and brought the aircraft back into land. Even in manual mode it twitched a bit. On landing, the motors simply would not stop idling despite throttle being down for ages. In the end I thought I would slowly increase throttle and then go back to zero to see if this would stop the motors. Despite my right hand being no where near the right stick, as I increased power the aircraft tipped over. This at least exposed the power leads and so I was able to kill the machine. No visible damage done to the aircraft at all although with this being a tip over I will have to get two new props and motors.

I genuinely thought that the A2 issues seen thus far were more than likely to be a problem with a specific batch of A2s and with my new one I thought it would have been from a newer batch. Well, that theory has gone to pot now. Time to call it quits on the A2 for the foreseeable future and put on a trusty ol' WKM.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the flight logs. I gave up my A2 and went back to the WKM, primarily because there is nothing in the A2 I need over and above what the WKM provides, and also because the WKM just works. I didn't have any problems with the A2, but I didn't see any benefits above a WKM either.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am also having issues with my Cinestar Octo rig flipping after landing.... but only if I land in GPS mode...... no issues in Attitude mode. Seems like it is deciding it has not landed at the appropriate GPS Take off point and wants to hop back over to it for some reason........ Seems like another "ppp" issue with DJI!
lt

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The logs seem pretty odd. It isnt showing any time it seems, so getting a proper plot of what has happened seems impossible. This is the same iOSD that was used with my original A2 which logged things perfectly. Perhaps this is one of the symptoms that this second A2 was well and truly goosed from the start. Tahoe Ed has been in touch (for which many thanks) and he is looking at the logs so hopefully he might be able to shed some light. Of course it could just be me being a Biff but I don't think so at this stage. Ill keep you guys posted.

Flylite

Carapau, can you list what you can see from the logs as I have tried to get data via the Mk2 and 2.3 but see no data at all - even though the log file is indeed 9mb...

sk8brd

seen this plenty-logs get sent to dji and there's never any conclusion, Carapau keep us updated w the conclusion you get from dji. the a2 issues that have effected people with logs get sent in then there never an update afterwards.

pblgml

I just purchased a DJI S800 EVO and an A2 Flight Controller. I am in the process of connecting and calibrating the unit during this process it would connect to my pc and was working fine on the bench.

I have since installed all the items and was setting the offsets for the GPS and the IMU, when I plugged in the USB to the system nothing happened, no connection, no LED, etc… So I verified all the connection where good and still no luck connecting to my PC via USB.

During this review of the connections I did notice that the small silver box that is on the GPS cable that has another can connection was getting hot to the touch. I made the assumption that there is a problem with this unit so I disconnected it from the system and reconnected the USB and it connected to the A2 assistant software as before but I had no GPS attached into the system.

I then reconnected the GPS to the system and everything shut down and no PC connection.

So from my determination I think that I have a faulty GPS unit or the cable from the GPS has a short in it.

I have emailed DJI hope to hear back from them soon.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I just purchased a DJI S800 EVO and an A2 Flight Controller...

Now that is an interesting report, since virtually all the other reports are suspecting the A2 failures are somehow linked to the GPS. Perhaps we had ALL better measure the temperature of that little box.

I wonder what the hell is going on back at DJI HQ? This has all been going on far too long without a peep from them. Betcha they eventually announce an A2 upgrade available to existing owners at a super discounted $599 ... like they did with S800 ESC's, booms, Retracts and Anti-Vibe kit (which were included in the EVO kit for the same price as the S800 kit) and the WKM GPS and IMU.

I originally paid €6000 for the S800/WKM/Z15 when I bought it. It ultimately cost me €10,000, by the time everything had been replaced with v2's and upgrades.

dazzab

I wonder what the hell is going on back at DJI HQ?
They are all probably busy making Phantoms and spending all the money they make selling them. I've often times wondered why DJI even bothers with the high end of the market? Well, I guess they don't eh?

pblgml

Now that is an interesting report, since virtually all the other reports are suspecting the A2 failures are somehow linked to the GPS. Perhaps we had ALL better measure the temperature of that little box.

I wonder what the hell is going on back at DJI HQ? This has all been going on far too long without a peep from them. Betcha they eventually announce an A2 upgrade available to existing owners at a super discounted $599 ... like they did with S800 ESC's, booms, Retracts and Anti-Vibe kit (which were included in the EVO kit for the same price as the S800 kit) and the WKM GPS and IMU.

I originally paid €6000 for the S800/WKM/Z15 when I bought it. It ultimately cost me €10,000, by the time everything had been replaced with v2's and upgrades.

What really concerns me is what other damage could this have caused in the system since this is connected to the cable that comes directly out of the IMU, could some damage to the IMU be happening while this GPS cable is connected, what else could this potential short circuit cause that is hidden, and who knows when it will cause a complete system failure while in flight.

I wonder if DJI has done a FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) on this system? If they have I would like to see the report.

I sure hope DJI steps up and works to remedy this. I have spent way to much money for this not to work and be reliable!

Paul

ZAxis

To put another perspective on the A2 issues, look back at the early days of fly by wire aircraft in the early 90's
YF 22 crash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdD8DwdPKes
Grippen crash 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6yVU_yYtEc
Grippen crash 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iToQ2FykoI
Airbus 320 crash
All due to lack of understanding of flight control algorithms at that time. All the aircraft eventually proved safe to fly but it took years of work to clear them to that point. The first flight of the Eurofoghter Typhoon was held back for a year to re-assess all flight software in the light of the YF22 and Grippen crashes. Even now, its takes years to clear upgrades to flight software so new weapons can be carried. The RAF bought a whole bunch of Chinook helicopters but due to a lack of oversight of required documented proof their new avionics actually worked failed to convince the airworthiness authorities to grant clearance to service. They sat for years unused until rebuilt with new avionics.
So things can be made to work but it takes time and manpower to do so. This is what DJI are not realising. Once airworthiness requirements kick in they will have really get their act together.

andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Pjtyros

I think DJI must be trying to off load the A2 Now being sold on H.King for £811 inc iosd Mkii and free shipping. saving £269 on UK prices, it is no wonder dealers don't want to support DJI.