My Build List. Can Someone Look Please and Comment

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
To learn i do not recommend these frames, grab one of these instead. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...opter_Frame_450mm_Integrated_PCB_Version.html
Afro ESC's are excellent.
Batteries, the basic Turnigy's are fine and cheaper, to save some weight just for for a 3000mH.
Just say no to the NTM's not a good choice on 4S, grab some SunnySky 2212 980kv motors, lots of places sell them, only a few dollars more but a great motors.
Props, get some GemFan 9x4.7 to go with the SunnySky motors, make sure they really are GemFan though.
FCU, for learning it is hard to go past the KK2.1, easy to set up and cheap.
I have said it before and I will say it again, I don't like the 9X radios, sort of a hobby within a hobby to get it to do what you will want it to do for quad/MR/FPV usage, spend more and get a Taranis at least, it is not a lot of money but you will be glad you did.

Cheers

Pete

genesc

Thanks again Pete for your suggestions. I do have follow up questions. What is FCU? and which Model Taranis? I see several different ones in 9 channel. Also what is the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2?

Also I have been reading on the forum that the larger the diameter of frame the more stable it will fly. It seems the one you suggested is a much smaller diameter. Can you give me some feedback on this please?

On the motors, I found these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271268423078?lpid=82

Also will I need to Flash the KK2.1 board?

Thanks
Gene

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Flight Control Unit. Radio, this one looks good. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...D_Digital_Telemetry_Radio_System_Mode_2_.html

Most US flyers fly mode 2, best to learn how the locals fly, been flying mode 1 for 40 years so not about to change.

A 450 size is a good compromise and is a good match up with the KK2.1, 450 is pretty much standard size for the TBS Disco, big enough so carry a good payload and small enough to easily load into the car.

Those are motors you've been looking for, exactly the ones. Worth looking for a package with 5 or 6 motors, never hurts to have a spare, as a beginner you are sure to want one at some stage, spares will always go into your next machine anyway.

It is worth getting the USBASP USB adapter at the same time as you get the KK2.1, will save you on postage and lets you experiment, there is also no way of knowing what they have loaded at the factory and it is worth updating to V1.6 or V1.6++.

Cheers

Pete

coreyperez

I don't agree with the anti-9XR suggestion. While the other radio seems to have better features, I've seen/used both and the 9XR (I feel) is a better radio. But, some like Chevy, Some like Ford... Personally, I have a 9xr sitting in a box, and won't use ANYTHING but my 14SG for my flying.

NTM motors... SUCK. Spend a couple dollars and get something better. I've had pretty good luck with the stock DJI motors (couple F550 kits), but have moved upto Tarot pancake motors on my FY680Pro and using the TBS version on my Disco Pro (once I get back to Korea and get the ESCs/Motors mounted. Currently using the DJI equipment off my F550.

I've had GREAT luck with my KK2.1 boards. I LOVE flying them (vs my Naza-M V2). But, my Naza FC is what I "trust" my expensive equipment with. The only down fall is, they aren't "fun" to fly compared to the KK equipment. I've also just got turned onto a Multi-Wii FC from Witespy. I haven't tried it yet, but it has all the features of the Naza M-v2. (plus some). I'm looking forward to giving it a try in the near future.

Afro ESCs. I've had excellent luck with them. I was flying the 20A versions, but accidentally purchased 10 of the 30A versions. I'll be moving upto the 30A's.

Best of luck with your build!

Corey

genesc

Thanks Corey for your input. I am trying to take in all I can and work things into my budget. I had ordered the 9XR before Pete answered my post. Right now I am very new at this and there are allot of details I need to sort out. I can also see that the KK2.1.5 would work better for me since I do not own a laptop. And you don't need a laptop with the KK2 in the field. I will probably invest in a better radio once I get everything down that I need to know. Also am looking into buying some more motors, controllers etc for future builds if I can make it that far...:) So for now I will be trying to build something that is stable and slow to fly for learning and then step up.

Thanks
Gene

coreyperez

I would honestly say the NAZA, or of the box was rock solid and nearly fool proof/straight forward. had I started with the Kk board up front I would have been discouraged and probably given up. That board took a lot of tweaking, you tube videos and trial and error (ie: broken parts). If you go that route, don't get discouraged. Build a spread sheet you can print and in each column error what your changes were, even I'd small, so you can track your changes and trouble shoot. plus, if/when you "ball it up", you will have your last settings to start from with a new kk board.

Corey

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I don't agree with the anti-9XR suggestion. While the other radio seems to have better features, I've seen/used both and the 9XR (I feel) is a better radio. But, some like Chevy, Some like Ford... Personally, I have a 9xr sitting in a box, and won't use ANYTHING but my 14SG for my flying.
Corey
So you agree not to waste your time getting a 9xx, will save you having it sit in a box later on.

genesc

So are you saying I should start with the Naza System Corey? It seems the KK2 system would be much more strait forward.

Thanks
Gene

chipwich

FWIW. I've had two 9XRs show up with defective LCDs. If you open up the two, there is no comparison between the FrSky and 9XR radios. Given the features, quality, and future support of the Turanis, including all of the recently released h/w upgrades, they are in different leagues IMO. To state otherwise is misinformed. Mode 2 would be the one to start with.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Unless you fly with people that fly mode 1 like me.

Gene, the Naza will fly well and has some great features that you might like, the KK2.1 is easier to set up and easy to tune without a PC/laptop but is limited in what it offers. I use them both and others and for cheap, easy and just to get started the $30 that the KK2.1 costs is a good investment in learning, swap to a Naza later by all means, I do recommend though to go to the V2 rather than the Lite if you plan on flying FPV.

Pete

genesc

Thanks Pete for the good info again. That was what I was going to ask anyways. Can the Naza m lite be flashed to the Naza V2? or are they two different controlers? And where I the best place to buy the Naza System?

I had not planned on setting my build up with a camera but that could change in the future.

Thanks again
Gene

chipwich

Thanks Pete for the good info again. That was what I was going to ask anyways. Can the Naza m lite be flashed to the Naza V2? or are they two different controlers? And where I the best place to buy the Naza System?

I had not planned on setting my build up with a camera but that could change in the future.

Thanks again
Gene

Lite vs. V2 is not so much the firmware as hardware. The V2 comes with an updated PMU and seperate LED module, the former of which has a CAN BUS port which allows adding peripherals like the iOSD mini or MK II. Pretty much any authorized DJI dealer as the pricing seems to be fairly consistent. My last one I purchased from GetFPV, but Atlanta Hobby, ReadyMadeRC, and A Main Hobbies are all reliable resellers.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The V1 can be updated to V2 but the lite is not upgradeable, you also cannot use any add ons like OSD with the Lite.

I bought my first V1 a few years ago from gothelirc, they have a great range of gear.

I promise that once you start you will want another one so whatever you get will not be your last.

Pete