A little setup help here with Naza V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonkiter

Hello all

I have everything plugged in and dialed perfectly for flight mode, fail safe etc, but I can't find the screen that allows me to set the stick position for spool up. I'm sure I've missed something super easy!

What gives?

Rainman

Hello all

I have everything plugged in and dialed perfectly for flight mode, fail safe etc, but I can't find the screen that allows me to set the stick position for spool up. I'm sure I've missed something super easy!

What gives?

The DJI CSC procedure involves putting your left and right stick into the lower corners - either corner on both sticks simultaneously is fine, take your pick. As soon as they spin up they will idle for a few seconds and then shut down again unless you start to increase throttle, etc.

So from when you connect your battery and after you let your GPS get a lock, put your sticks into the corners, let your cyclic stick (right stick if you fly mode 2) return to the centre whilst allowing your throttle/collective/rudder return to the centre with a closed throttle position and then gradually feed in some throttle/collective stick to bring it into a hover before the motors auto-shutdown. You have a few seconds of them idling before they will automatically shutdown again, so don't panic. Enjoy !

bostonkiter

Thank you all very kindly! Your information brought me right to lift off!

Now, I've spooled up in atti and the 550 wants to roll over just before skids up.

Things I've double checked:
Props all proper direction
Programming perfect
Calibration both programmed and done outside with corresponding LED confirmation.

In dual rotor world, it's a common thing to overcome ground effect for the first time. I have no trouble punching off the ground, full throttle, with ANY dual rotor. Do multis' behave the same in ground effect? I'm apprehensive to lift off because I don't know if there's something I'm missing!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Multi’s can be weird in the first foot or so, but if the rig is always wanting to roll in the same direction there might be a problem.
Take the props off and do a “take off” do the motors seem to spin up at close to the same RPM? If not something might be a problem.
If everything seems to spin up properly with the props off, then it may just be wind buffeting.

If you are 100% positive about the motor and prop direction as well as motor number to the Naza, and you triple checked everything I’d pop the throttles to 51%, the Naza 2 (and V1 running 4.0 or higher) will auto take off and just hover in front of you.

bostonkiter

Multi’s can be weird in the first foot or so, but if the rig is always wanting to roll in the same direction there might be a problem.
Take the props off and do a “take off” do the motors seem to spin up at close to the same RPM? If not something might be a problem.
If everything seems to spin up properly with the props off, then it may just be wind buffeting.

If you are 100% positive about the motor and prop direction as well as motor number to the Naza, and you triple checked everything I’d pop the throttles to 51%, the Naza 2 (and V1 running 4.0 or higher) will auto take off and just hover in front of you.

Thank you!

I did just fly a bit and everything seemed to go ok until landing. I lifted with a "medium-paced pop" and it rose-up straight for the most part. You're suggesting I quickly slide the collective to ~50% and let it rise quickly to a hover?

On landing it didn't settle straight down and rolled onto it's side. Upon landing, do I need to descent faster than I feel comfortable doing so, say from 3' down? I don't want to get caught in the ground effect again and tip over.

"Luckily" I was on the grass when it tipped during landing. Damaged the tip of one prop. AARG. $60.00. The damage is minor and I may just try to fly it as is.

bostonkiter

I'm replying to my own issues as I solve them for efficiency sake!

• I found great success in punching up to 60% and letting the machine come up. BRILLIANT!
  • I've tried to spend as little time as possible in ground effect in landing and have gotten better at "planting' the machine, rather than feathering about for too long (like a dual rotor).

I've found it quick surprising and actually more difficult to remain in a steady hover <50% throttle. The machine tends to like >50% to remain stable. It's a fixed pitch and thus naturally flies like one. I've noticed that a dual rotor with 100%/variable pitch is far more natural feeling to hold a low, technical hover with. Is that the progression you've all dealt with?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
It depends on which FC you sue. Naza is kind of weird near the ground, my HoverFly Boards and my SuperX boards feel really solid.
i think there are so many variables.. motors - prop size- craft size- Weight of craft... it all effects everything!

deluge2

If you're running an up-to-date firmware on your NAZA-M v2 (or v1 for that matter), be aware ~50% throttle = hover, less than 50% is descent (rate varies as the throttle is lowered), and greater than 50% throttle is ascent. So take off requires moving the stick to something over 50% triggering an autotake-off of sorts. When DJI introduced this feature, there were numerous users who expressed dislike for the new throttle control characteristics, and many requested that this be a configuration option rather than a fixed property. I believe DJI commented that this throttle behavior was introduced to reduce take-off ground effect misadventures commonly experienced by new pilots trying to get their craft into the air safely. However until the new throttle response characteristics are understood, the change produced difficulties for experienced pilots because it's different than prior throttle control dynamics. AFAIK, it remains a new characteristic and there is no option to change to the 'old' behavior (short of reverting to a sufficiently earlier firmware).

This throttle behavior is pretty much strictly true for DJI airframes + DJI ESCs (i guess the airframe itself doesn't really matter. But with different ESCs ymmv. And this explains difficulty in maintaining a steady hover at significantly < 50% throttle. Per DJI throttle response algorithms, it can't be done...

Steve

I'm replying to my own issues as I solve them for efficiency sake!

• I found great success in punching up to 60% and letting the machine come up. BRILLIANT!
  • I've tried to spend as little time as possible in ground effect in landing and have gotten better at "planting' the machine, rather than feathering about for too long (like a dual rotor).

I've found it quick surprising and actually more difficult to remain in a steady hover <50% throttle. The machine tends to like >50% to remain stable. It's a fixed pitch and thus naturally flies like one. I've noticed that a dual rotor with 100%/variable pitch is far more natural feeling to hold a low, technical hover with. Is that the progression you've all dealt with?

bostonkiter

Extremely helpful, Steve, thank you!

Now that I know what the tech will do, my input is cemented.

I've read all about "toilet bowling" and I believe I'm caught in the flush. I live near Boston MA and found -14* is the declination setting, thus, 14* to the left is required. I adjusted as best I could, but I don't know quite how to best do so accurately. What do folks do who make declination adjustments? Trial and error?

Racer38

You may be over thinking things. I have a Phantom with NAZA V2. Mine is extremely stable at low hovers and to me is much easier to fly than any of my past Heli's from 450 electrics, to my old MA Spectra G Gasser. I never did anything with Declination and I dont even know why it would be needed. I did my Compass calibration and my NAZA advanced Calibration and Fly..

Rainman

I've read all about "toilet bowling" and I believe I'm caught in the flush. I live near Boston MA and found -14* is the declination setting, thus, 14* to the left is required. I adjusted as best I could, but I don't know quite how to best do so accurately. What do folks do who make declination adjustments? Trial and error?

Hmmm, I would go back a couple of steps in your setup as the root cause of your toilet bowl effect and you 'twitchy' hover whilst in ground effect could be the same thing. I would double check that the centre of your Naza is exactly on the C of G of your F550 complete with flight battery installed. From experience it seems that a bad C of G tends to exaggerate problems you experience during the more gentle flight manouevirs, such as take-off and landing, and even just hovering when you're well out of ground effect. So, double check your C of G and make sure that wherever the C of G is then that's where the centre of your Naza should be.

Also, make sure there is no excessive vibration - quick fixes to that include switching straight to the DJI 10" props are they require a slightly slower RPM over the 8" props, plus they seem to be better balanced and aren't quite as stiff as the 8" ones and therefore a little more forgiving to minor imbalance. I found you definitely get less vibes with the 10" props, even before you do anything else like balancing, etc. Vibrations really confuse the flight controllers. Also, you can find that whilst you might have very little and indeed acceptable levels of vibration coming your airframe, additional items (such as additional landing gear, etc) can amplify the minor vibes back into something huge again. Make sure that whatever you've got bolted to your airframe is as close to the centre of the airframe as you can get it, to avoid minor vibes getting amplified. You shouldn't have much of a problem with the F550 but with the F450 I've seen people bolt the frame for their landing skids onto the furthest end of the extended parts of the bottom plate and end up with massive vibrations which just don't exist when the skids are removed. It's been remedied by sliding the mounting points right up to the other end, toward the center of the F450 bottom plate.

You'll find that if your C of G is off then you won't notice it so much if you're taking off in a fairly abrupt manner, or in fast forward flight, etc. That type of flying tends to mask the problem, but when you have your thumbs off sticks then it will begin to slowly circle around in the hover and progressively get faster and faster. You shouldn't need to 'pop' your F550 off the gound too quickly - yes you should employ a degree of authority on your control inputs, don't try and inch your off the deck, but you should be able to lift into a hover in a nice and smooth and controlled fashion. You shouldn't need to yank it into the air at all. Yes, multirotors experience ground effect in the same way as a regular heli, but the flight computer should be dealing with that and you shouldn't notice it too much. If ground effect is having a marked impact on the stability then I'd definitely check that C of G, your GPS mounting offset, and your compass calibration.

Even in Atti mode you should be able to leave it in the hover with thumbs of sticks and the only thing that should require you to add any control inputs will be the prevailing wind. That's all. It should be able to maintain and nice and level attitude, as the name of the mode implies. You shouldn't find the need to continually put in control inputs to keep it in one place aside from correcting the direction that your model wants to drift downwind. If you're finding that it's a real effort to maintain your position, even on a fairly windy day, my money is that it's either incorrect C of G, compass calibration, or maybe you've not got the offset for your GPS sensor quite right. Double check you have set the GPS sensor off-set in the correct axis and that you've not transposed the plus and minus figures. Double check it and then triple check it to make sure it's as close as you can get it.

My money is on your C of G being out. Lets us know how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator:

deluge2

I seem to recall in prior threads regarding magnetic declination adjustment that DJI have built-in algorithms to adjust for this as a function of latitude and longitude as determined by GPS. If this is the case, then adjusting the compass orientation may be unnecessary or possibly counterproductive. From experience a critical step is to calibrate the compass early and often. In theory, it only needs to be done at a new flying site, after hardware configuration change or after firmware update. Since it is so quick and easy, my practice is to calibrate prior to first flight of the day and again if takeoff location changes much.

Steve

bostonkiter

Still getting my butt kicked in GPS mode!

It flies great in Atti mode, so I'm missing something...

Finally got a 6600mAh Pulse and mount it with the AC balanced.

Just for info sake: To what physical point on the sat antenna do you measure? (Top, middle or bottom) And is the other measured endpoint the top of the flight control or to the surface of the top plate? Someone else set this up for me and it was perfect for him, so I'm double checking all the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.