A few questions from a total neophite

Howdy folks. My fourth post here.

My intro here will provide background for you:

http://multirotorforums.com/threads/greetings-from-a-total-newb-in-sunny-southern-california.27410/

As an adjunct to my intro post, the wife decided to sell her drone (it's gone now) and is looking at the newer Inspire 1 Pro R. As a consolation to me, she bought me a new Phantom 3 Pro. And it remains in it's box until I am satisfied with my pilot skills. To that end, I am still torturing my Kodo.

I am on my 3rd Kodo. The first one I lost when I took it up so high I could no longer see it. Bad idea. No idea where it ended up. The second one is on the roof of a local supermarket after it lost connection to the controller. The 3rd has been the charm though.

I am able to hover and fly it around a bit. I am currently working on nose-in hovering.

Once I am able to fly the thing regardless of it's orientation (and that is pretty much my expectation once I get nose-in nailed), how tough is it to learn to do a nice turn or circle around something using the combined rudder and yaw?

Are there some good exercises that I can practice to get that down? I have seen a few videos on it but they are fairly vague and do not indicate any kind of repeatable practice regimen that I can apply.

Now, all the videos I have watched on the Phantom series of products seem to me that pilot skills are worthless in the event the quad has a failure. Every failure I have seen, the pilot is never able to gain control of the craft and experiences a fly-away or what not. I am curious how many owners of these types of crafts actually find their pilot skills put to the test.

Regardless, I plan to master the skillset since, hey, it's just good fun!

Thanks in advance!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Seems like you're doing the responsible thing and learning to fly. That's step 1.

I'm not aware of any complicated maneuvers to hone the skills (that doesn't mean there aren't any) - but I think basic squares, figure 8's etc do the trick.

The key here is to find a nice, big open field and have at it. You don't want to be practicing close to where people may be bothered by any mishaps. Make sure you ease into it and get the feel for the new equipment.

Also, before venturing out with the Phantom, be sure to digest the manual a few times, and become familiar with the calibration procedures. Some you will do at the field. But you want to make sure that your RTH function is working properly before you get the props on and get airborne. That will be your safety net in case of loss of signal.

Have fun and fly safe!

Thanks, Moto. I practice at sunrise in a local parking lot. RC is illegal in all city parks around here. A field does not work well with the Kodo as it is so small it struggles to take off from a grass landing spot. And the Phantom stays put until I master the Kodo :)

I'll work on the squares and figure 8s etc. Thanks!

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I always use a piece of poster size foamcore (Cardboard - but stiffer) as a launching pad. Just throw it on the ground to avoid dust and grass clippings in your motors.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Is the Kodo small enough to fly indoors? I practiced on the Blade Nano-Qx but was only able to fly it outdoors a couple times due to wind.

While it's not apples to oranges in terms of maneuvers, it is a bit when it comes to flight characteristics between these tiny quads and a larger machine (350mm+).

At a certain point you need to have faith in your prep and jump off the ledge. But obtaining the comfort level before that is a wise move.

@JoeBob makes a good suggestion for grass launch. I used to keep a board in the back of the pickup for the flying field to make sure all was level for calibrations.

The foamcore is a good idea. My wife has a lot of that stuff. But there are no real fields around here to use and the parking lot that I am using is huge so I do not think that's much of an issue.

I called a local drone retailer called DroneFly and asked them where it was safe and legal to fly drones in the area. The ONLY answer I could get out of them was the base FAA restrictions of no national parks and 5 miles from an airport. Useless. I know those laws... The problem is that local gubments can prohibit UAV use regardless of the FAA laws.

Their jurisdiction or lack thereof is moot as I suspect that when the local constable approaches you, your explanation of the FAA laws will fall on deaf ears. I thought it was pretty irresponsible for that retailer to advise me that it was legal and safe anywhere but those 2 areas delineated by the FAA.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
While it would have been nice for the retailer to have more info - keep in mind that the FAA guidelines are not actual law yet. Although they should absolutely be followed, the FAA is currently relying on the local law enforcement to take action for any issues. If your local legislature has enacted proper laws - those are the ones you need to keep up to date on.

Your best bet would be to join the AMA where you will be afforded proper flying fields, as well as the perks that come with enrollment (insurance coverage, like-minded enthusiasts etc). You can check their website to find the closest field(s).

Thanks, Moto. I joined the AMA last week as a matter of fact. And, indeed, there is an RC field about 3 miles from where I live. I assumed that folks were flying fixed wing aircraft though and I did not want to interfere with their flying by practicing my little drone.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would suggest heading over and checking. I figure a major city would have more drone operators. Also, keep in mind that many times you may have the field to yourself.

I just moved back to Brooklyn from Vermont. Up there I had TWO fields to myself, almost all the time. It was a dream! Brooklyn, not so much :)

I put Los Angeles in as my location because it's the closest place that anyone has heard of. I live in a small farming village north of LA. But you may be right, the field may not be used much. I am headed out of town now but I will check the field out in 2 weeks and see what is what.

jinly

I sometimes fly my Multirotor at the Public High School My kids went to. They know me and I know them. On weekends there is hardly anyone there. Big football and soccer practice fields galore. I have not ever been approached by individuals who are demanding answers or threatening expulsion. They are mostly genuinely curious about the craft and like to watch it fly. I am not sure your city would allow such a thing. I'm sure they are worried about flights around people so this could be a option. By the way..Great Introduction, Welcome Aboard Bro.