$65K drone crashed: why you should never touch your copter while it is airborne :)

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Good lord! Seriously, it took them a whole minute to work out how to kill the motors?

What a beautiful aircraft though! I want one!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Again, I always bring a beach towel when i fly for this exact reason. It's the best way to take down a heli when/if you cant kill the motors on the ground. Idea courtesy of RTRyder.

And WTF happened? why did he grab it in the first place? Why would grabbing it do that? Why would it take so long to turn off if at all? Very weird.

Though i have to say that is possibly the most awesome heli I have ever seen.

SamaraMedia

Setting looks vaguely familiar. Aren't these the same people that flew a multirotor into a building last year? Tried to do a search on YouTube with no luck but I swear I've seen these "pilot" here before. Love the crowd control on the scene, even had a policia standing in the street to stop the cars that were driving down it.

mitmit

notice that he even wear "pirate eye" or something..
pricey equipment does not mean that you can use it without skills. and when it comes to this kind of flying killer machines you shold multiply this rule to 10.
hope the lesson is learned, and Thanks God no one suffered from them.
cheers to all))

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Whadda yuu expect-a, stupido?

It's a Pink Panther script ... transposed to Italy, replete with a typecast Italian Macho swaggering around in his shades with monocular video downlink ... I mean, these boys have all the kit ... and then, at the first sign of trouble .... he runs away ... like a big ol' scaredee'cat pu$$y!!

Why Macho #1 had to let go of the sticks in order to grab the legs instead of Macho #2 or #3 is of course a mystery - except that he probably reckoned he looked really cool an' tuff - but then when he lets go he doesn't even try to get his hands back on the Tx and then, whilst the situation was still recoverable, he just throws his hands in the air - as if the 'stupida macchina' has gone irretrievably berserk - and just runs away!

Why didn't they cut the motors straight away? You're forgetting. This was a Pink Panther script so they all had to babble, argue and gesticulate in Italian for three minutes first.

Amusing ... and pathetic.

Looks like the Black Armored Drone didn't suffer too much though, except perhaps a dent in its dignity at being thrown to this bunch of clowns.

Setting looks vaguely familiar. Aren't these the same people that flew a multirotor into a building last year?...

I remember that one. The LiPo's caught fire when the MR eventually hit the ground after bouncing off buildings and cars. Dunno if it is the same jerks but certainly the same type!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
So a quick look at the comments below the video reveal the second to be from the pilot - Fabio - who claims that it was basically doing a fly away and not responding to radio commands. Apparently it was supposed to just go straight up the side of the cathedral and look into an adjacent square, but it immediately started drifting off down the street. This, he states, is why he grabbed the B.A.D.. He then goes on to whine about losing his previous job .... and doing it for his family ... and boo-hoo.

Hmm, maybe they just did the A2 2.2 firmware update ! :highly_amused:

Benjamin Kenobi

Really, he spent 65K on a heli after losing his job?

Why did he let it go? It's like he just gave up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why let it go? He can easily hold it over his head until someone unplugs the lipos. Money can't buy you everything...
Oh it's a DJI...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Sadly most of the comments in here are tainted by ego's eager to put down someone elses incident so that they can make themselves feel superior. Nobody here was there at the time and nobody knows the full story. However plenty of people mocking and slagging off the operators.
The guy from his comments about losing his job and doing it for his family if you give it a moments thought are the sorts of comments people under stress will make. We dont know what his external stresses are. Mocking them says more about yourselves than it does about the operator.
Carry on feeling smug.

Mojave

Agreed - I hope that crew can learn from this incident and maybe we can as well. Thanks for your observation Michael.

Sadly most of the comments in here are tainted by ego's eager to put down someone elses incident so that they can make themselves feel superior. Nobody here was there at the time and nobody knows the full story. However plenty of people mocking and slagging off the operators.
The guy from his comments about losing his job and doing it for his family if you give it a moments thought are the sorts of comments people under stress will make. We dont know what his external stresses are. Mocking them says more about yourselves than it does about the operator.
Carry on feeling smug.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Stack, I was just typing the same comment and saw yours pop up. I blame the manufacturers more than the pilot in this case. Anyone doing this long enough knows that electronics fail and helicopters will eventually come down in a blaze of glory if you fly them long enough. It is really easy to say everyone is an idiot who has a viral crash video. But imagine for a second that you are flying and your heli does something unanticipated. We would all be pretty devastated at the loss nonetheless the thought of knowing that someone took a video of it and is over eager for the medias attention and as many likes as possible. People just do this. it's no different than watching someone injured and not helping. I am guilty of it as well. But the fact is that any single component that keeps us in control of our helis CAN fail at any given time. We can do range checks and frequently replace esc's and bearings but sometimes it's just a weird unknown that causes these unfortunate events. As much as I tend to blame DJI for most of these problems I also know a lot of people that use them with success. I have personally not had any fly aways or loss of control from the 4 DJI controllers ive gone through. But I do know they love spitting new firmware out with thorough testing and we are their paying beta testers.

Assuming that their electronics did fail there are still some things that they could have done differently that might have resulted in less of a loss. But unless you plan in advance for those situations, most dont think clearly in the heat of the moment when seconds count. I'm telling you guys, carry a large beach towel with you. Throw the beach towel over the heli and try to safely remove the batteries asap. Another little trick you can do is to get some thick thread, like carpet thread, and tie loops on each connector. This way you can easily and quickly yank the connectors apart. It's good to plan for this. I'm guessing at some point someone will invent a reliable impact triggered power kill switch. i cant figure it out yet but ill share if i ever do.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Really, he spent 65K on a heli after losing his job? Family was the last thing on his mind....

Why did he let it go? It's like he just gave up.

I don't think the B.A.D. belongs to the hapless pilot. The comments suggest that he was flying it for someone else. Someone who was paying him a miserly €1500 a month for the job. Maybe if they paid more realistically he would have been less inclined to just give it the "vaffanculo"†† salutation and walk away.

†† let's see if the rude word filter picks up that one!

Ah shaddap-a your face.

JOKE, JOKE !!!! Novelty hit song of the early eighties. Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Efliernz

Pete
Nicely stated Stacky.

We can all be very quick to judge from our nice and comfortable chairs... but we do not know the stresses on them...

Pete

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I cant remember the name of the site but they send emails out with potential aerial work. It's like a reeldirectory for drones. Anyways, they requested pilots specifically with s1000/800 experience. This implies that they actually have the helis but not pilots. A very odd situation if you ask me. I always see my heli as such a personal thing, something I would only let a very few even try flying no matter how easy I felt it was. I guess the industry has become more like Commercial aviation where the pilot is trained but flies the companies rigs? Odd. Anyways, if thats what happened here I can see how things went wrong.

Benjamin Kenobi

I'm feel the same way. A rig is very personal. But maybe that's the hobby background thing. You build it, then fly it, and know it inside out. The way things seem to be going, in the UK at least, we will be hired by companies to fly their rigs. Actually sounds like fun as I'm so precious with my rig.

Stacky

I feel bad about what I wrote this morning, it was 5am and I was heading off to an early job so not fully switched on. The problem is that the things i dislike that others do are in truth things I do myself. I think thats why we react sometimes when we see others doing things we hate doing. So any criticism of others comments are things that in all honesty I am likely to say or write myself so apologies if they were a bit harsh.