60/65% throttle hover more effecient

Greg

I tried another prop combo again.(6.5 @48/50 % loiter)-(5.5 @60/65% loiter) Both manual mode naza.I read somewhere that more throttle over 50%,to an extent is more effecient then 50% or under.At 65% there is still plenty of head room so this kinda makes sense.Could someone perhaps elaborate on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

ESC's function at best efficiency when run at full throttle. Although most efficient the current increases dramatically, in turn running down the battery much faster. What you gain from the ESC is offset many times over from what you lost in flight time because of battery drain. It's all a balancing act, what you gain in something you lose in something else. The win comes when you gain just slightly more that you lose, if that makes sense. Small wins over big losses.

As copter weights and payload values increase the headroom becomes increasingly important. The difference between a 50% hover and a 65% hover may be the difference between having the ability to counteract a strong gust of wind...or not.

Greg

I pretty much have all the bases covered in the prop department.Next will be running 2 identical 5000 mah or I may get one 10,000 mah.I do realize double battery capacity doesnt equal double time.If I get more then 10 mins I will be happy.As my flight times are know I cant really fly any further fpv then los.Osd battery voltage would be nice but is expensive just to get battery voltage.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You can get battery voltage and even consumption measurements with the inexpensive Frsky telemetry, if you have the right Rx.

Personally, I always feel that although you lose a bit on weight, having 2 batteries offers a type of redundancy that could possible save the MR in the event that 1 batt goes bad or loses a cell.

Greg

I was leaning towards 2 bats for that very reason .I have a tuttu 5000 35 c with about 10 charges,can I run a new identical battery with this or should both identical batteries be brand new when pairing.I charge all my bats @ 1 amp and never go below 3.8 volts.I charge my smaller 3s 500 mah @ .25 amps

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
1 amp, or 1C? I would think 1 amp would take forever.

I think you're ok if the batteries have been well cared for. I would check the IR (if your charger has that ability) to make sure they are close between all cells.

Greg

1 amp.Slow charging any battery is better then rapid charging.I only charge batteries if they will be used within a few hours aswell.I rely on my trusty multimeter for cell checking.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've had good luck charging at 1C. The batteries show solid IR on all cells so far - done with a few years use.

How long does it take to charge a 5A battery at that rate?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It does when you're home. But I also charge at the field with a generator - and would probably always charge at a higher rate to make more flights possible.

Greg

Totally different situation then mine.I fly out of the backyard now that I am fairly good with the copter.FPV has made a big difference.Practiced landing and takeoff in fpv.Piece of cake.I also landed onto a flat roof across the road(abandoned building)That was fun.I just emailed remzibis for info.That should be perfect as I only want/need lipo voltage displayed in my gogs.I have seen that frsky module you mentioned before.I already have a lipo beeper.I think the remzibis would be the simpliest cost effective solution for me.

AndyPG

Hey Greg,

Going back to your original question here, are you saying that when your Naza 2 is in GPS mode, your quad needs a constant 65% on the stick to maintain hover?
If this is the case, I think there is a minor issue with the TX stick setup.
It sound like you've got a little bit of expotential rate dialled in or an endpoint or midpoint adjustment that needs correcting.
In my humble experience (I'm sure someone will dive in if I'm wrong!), if your TX's throttle stick settings are all default, the Naza should make a steady hover always be 50% on the stick.
What TX are you using?
Are the throttle stick parameters all default?
If you do find any of the stick settings non default, reset them, do the TX calibration again in Naza Assistant and I think you might find steady state hover is 50% stick where it should be.

Andy.

Greg

I have it sorted.With 1355 props manual mode is roughly 60/65%.I switched to 1365 and it hovers @ about 55% and I can decend at a quicker rate without swashing about.If I need to get down really quick I come down on angle.The times are pretty near the same.I also cut down the arms so now I have a 580 frame.I think 650 was a little big for my needs and 580 is nimbler and still smooth.I just carry a G2D gimble and xiaomi cam which this machine handles just fine.I still have 2 inches from tip of prop to edge of main body so I could even throw my 14 inchers back on,but I think I found a sweet spot with this setup.I get 10 mins flying(4S-5000 35c) with a lipo beep at 3.8 volts.Plenty of time to find appropriate landing spot.I will be pairing up 2 identical bats (2x 5000 35c )in the future and perhaps get 15 min.Thanks for the reply.Have a great weekend:)

SPECS:

sunnysky 580KV (3508)
30 amp mrss simon k esc's
1365 carbon
4s 5000 40c
Taranis +
Naza V2

Last edited by a moderator: