450/550 Flyers - Share your Landing Gear and Landing Gear/Gimbal setups

SMP

Former biker - Spent 3 years dragging a Honda RS250 GP bike around the AMA circuit - Now its multi's, which are not much cheaper but have never tossed me on my head at a 130 mph :0

RobertsUp

I'm building a 450 and today I decided upon a beginning AP path. I'm going to start learning with a GoPro and no landing gear or gimbel.

The GoPro will dangle from the bottom of the craft so the props don't appear in the view. With a wire cable jello eliminator. I'll land it in a bucket.

I have it figured out. You don't try to land in the bucket. Just get the craft real low and stable in GPS hold position. Then go place the bucket underneath the craft. Lower the throttle 'til the arms rest on the rim of the bucket. Stop motors. TA DAH. The GoPro never touched the ground.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Roberts... please dont trust GPS too much. A gust of wind or typical naza could end up with you and faceful of flying blender. If you just want the legs out of the way go with the Iris Aerials batwing.

t.rexxer

View attachment 13458here's mine Peter from Sweden prints them on his 3d printer also have a gopro camera mount waiting for a servo from h/k thats taking for ever.. They just slide in between the solder joints.. Jay

I ordered his gimbal mount as I like the idea of the straight down POV the micro servo allows. I already had the legs and batwing from Iris Aerial. Going to use the batwing to mount the battery aft. Still in the building stages of my first 450 so this is all theory, but Peters stuff is well thought out and well made. Haven't recieved the gimbal yet but I think it's coming form sweden so to be expected. I am hopeful IA's legs don't show. I will report on that but it will be a while before I can do that.

I was a bit concerned that Peter's legs are too close to center to prevent tipovers and I believe IA's legs will do more for this.. Can you report on that cabojay??

Here's a build video for Peter's gimbal and legs. He's very laid back but also very accomodating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGoAvjM_nIQ&list=UUPa_eZAbsxUcddZ-Gr_i2zQ&index=1

t

cabojay

I have no problem with the legs being close in It flys great i thought about the tip over too. But like most quads you take off quick and it's in the air. No problem with landing either. I will post a video of it taking off and landing soon. I am still waiting for my servo from h/k when i do i will get a video in the air. I only took about 5 days for Peters package to get to me. Very impressed with his stuff. Hope this helps. Have a video flying on youtube just look for cabjay12. short video.. Hope this helps.. Jay

Dewster

I use Aeroxcraft landing gear on my F550. The new-ish camera gimbal that I purchased broke during assembly (my fault) so Im using http://www.quirky.com/products/105-Bandits-Rubber-Band-Hooks to keep my Sony Action Cam in place. The little bands do a great job of eliminating vibration of the craft when combined with Sony's image/video stabilization feature.

I test flew my craft yesterday (wind was extremely calm) and got the best results using my hacked system. I'll post photos of the set up soon...

quadpil0t

www.rc-quadcopters.com

Attachments

• rc-quad skid legs.JPG
    rc-quad skid legs.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 490
  • 550 legs up 4.JPG
    550 legs up 4.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 376

gtranquilla

RadioActive
View attachment 13482View attachment 13483
The 2 axis gimbal with landing gear is the X468 modified.The GoPro3 camera enclosure is a piece of plastic eaves trough drain pipe..... very quick and easy to make and very light but strong material and a nice fit for the GoPro. I found the original landing gear and gimbal system made from G10 was reducing flight time too much and was not as strong/stable as I wanted it to be so I made some changes.

On the landing gear, the carbon fiber tubes were removed and replaced with longer cf tubes made for cf archery arrow shafts.
That made the landing gear have a more stable/stronger structure. I am gradually replacing the G10/G11 landing gear parts with carbon fiber plate cut to approximately the same size. Some of the stainless steel bolts are being replaced with nylon bolts to further reduce the weight...... Since the roll servo does not offer much functionailty I am removing it as well. Finally the foam rubber vibration padding is being replaced with moon gel or the stainless steel cable/plastic assembly shown elsewhere on this forum thread.

Dewster

View attachment 10587View attachment 10588
Heres my slightly unconventional setup. My cheaply built camera gimbal broke while I was assembling it (my fault) so I experimented with just using these bands from quirky.com. You can find them in the aisle sections of Walmart, Lowes etc. They do a good job of isolating vibration from the craft. The video is vibration free when combined Sony Action cam's image stabilization.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 267

quadpil0t

www.rc-quadcopters.com
Retractable legs for the 550 and 450 available very soon !!!

VINHEX

Retractable legs for the 550 and 450 available very soon !!!

Very cool is this your own design..

Vin
Hexacrafter HC650, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Xoar 12x6 props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, DJI iOSD

SMP

Dewster, did you fab the coax mounts??

View attachment 13555View attachment 13556
Heres my slightly unconventional setup. My cheaply built camera gimbal broke while I was assembling it (my fault) so I experimented with just using these bands from quirky.com. You can find them in the aisle sections of Walmart, Lowes etc. They do a good job of isolating vibration from the craft. The video is vibration free when combined Sony Action cam's image stabilization.

Dewster

Dewster, did you fab the coax mounts??
No. I used Avroto Motor mounts, drilled holes in the arms, and used nuts and bolts along with some thin carbon fiber plates to get the motors in the coax setup. It took some brainstorming and a few trial and error arms to get it right. The top motor is secured to the arm and the bottom motor mounting plate is secured to the top mounting plate: convoluted huh?

I wish someone would fab a coax mount for DJI's arms. I used the thin carbon fiber plates to ensure that the motors were secure and vertical with each other.

I purchased Aerial Media's extensions and was going to mount both to the arms in the Coax setup, but the clearance underneath the arm wouldn't allow for it without some heavy sanding. I've seen it done on YouTube. You'll just have to work. I used a Dremel sander. Someone on this forum manufactured extended arms for the F450/F550. The bottom of the arms looks like it has enough clearance to facilitate a coax setup with Aerial Media Pro's extensions. I just would want my craft to be too big.

I had to adjust the gains to get it flying the way I wanted it to. The Y6 setup is not as floaty as my former flat Hexa. I flew my craft this past weekend and was surprised how stable it was in calm wind. Rock solid GPS hold.

Anyway... I had to do a lot of hacking to get the motors mounted and secured. If there is ever a fabricated mount for DJI's arms ill be one of the first to buy them. ;)

photobobga

Using a stock F550 and the new SkyRover setup with landing gear and direct drive 2 axes gimbal. With a new Thunder Power 4S 5000 mAh 70C battery the aircraft flies very well with a Hero 3 or Canon NEX5. Average flight times are around 7 minutes. I did a lot of research on F550 gimbals and settled on the SkyRover. Great support from the manufacture and dials in nicely with the NAZA controller.

View attachment 10763View attachment 10762

Attachments

• _MG_2642.jpg
    _MG_2642.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 427
  • _MG_2643.jpg
    _MG_2643.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 391