450/550 Flyers - Share your Landing Gear and Landing Gear/Gimbal setups

SMP

Hello All,

Wondered if you wouldn't mind sharing your 450/550 Landing Gear/and or Landing Gear/Gimbal combos here?

As I'm sure most of you already know, center mounted gimbals catch motors, props, legs and everything else on the 550 so moving the cam to the front via LG to clear is the way to go. I've been using Iris Aerial Legs and a Batwing to move the gopro3 out to the front to clear the motors and legs. But, If I add a gimbal out on the batwing there just isn't enough real estate on the 550 frame to counterbalance the battery to the rear. Therefore I'm looking for a landing gear set that adds mounting options forward and back (kind of like a TBS Discovery frame w legs) and not necessarily high. Now that the brushless gimbals are starting to show I'm guessing more and more of us are going to want to add these to our 550s as well. Hoping we can consolidate ideas here :)

Thanks all and appreciate your help!!

SMP

This is my current setup, which I actually enjoy but... can't center mount the gimbal so somethings gotta change

View attachment 10463

Attachments

• SMP550_.jpg
    SMP550_.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 491

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
Holy cow I was just considering do what you have pictured until I can afford a brushless gimbal!!!

Do the legs show up in the gopro frame at all?

As for a landing gear setup, everything I have read points back to the Aeroxcraft being your best bet.

http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=20

But please let me know how your current set up is working as I want to do that for the next 3-6 months! I just ordered the batwing by itself for fear the legs would be a problem in every shot!

And does that vibration isolator work well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

I used an unorthodox method. I mounted my Gopro Hero 2 underneath the belly of my F450. It resulted in clear and vibration free video. It also kept my craft stable during flight by having the underslung weight of the camera (center mounted) balancing the weight of the battery which was on top. I had to take off and land it in a small cigar box though. Lol.

Austin913

I'm not really a fan of the wide angle POV from the GoPro/Action cams. Plus, I'm too frugal (cheap) to throw down the money on one when my el-cheapo point and shoot is 720p capable. Bonus is it's CCD sensor, no rolling shutter/jello... just had to fight the shaky vision, but I think I have that sorted out.

View attachment 10466View attachment 10467

Attachments

• quad3.jpg
    quad3.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 414
  • quad2.jpg
    quad2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 414

keithrt

SkyRover camera gimbal

I'm looking at the SkyRover GoPro gimbal/landing gear for my Flamewheel 550. Pricey, but only 300grams. Two axis, but a pan axis isn't necessary with a multi-rotor. Easier to just turn the aircraft.

Attachments

• skyrover-gopro.jpg
    skyrover-gopro.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 489

Attachments

• x450 01a.jpg
    x450 01a.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 423
  • x450 02.jpg
    x450 02.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 376
  • x450 03.jpg
    x450 03.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 271
  • x450 01.jpg
    x450 01.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 322

STI-REX

Gettin Old
I have one of "irisaerials" batwing mounts and have used it on a 450 and the results are very good and clear view no vibration on video

you can use 2 and balance with battery on rear arms

F550 with arm extensions and Avrotos.
AeroXcraft landing gear, AeroXcraft VTR125 NEX-5N gimbal.

(no NEX in the gimbal during this particular flight. What you see is a dummy weight for proper balance)

View attachment 10490

....sT

Attachments

• F550 Heavy Lifter 054.jpg
    F550 Heavy Lifter 054.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 555

zx12rcarl

Hehehe thanks.. Yes it's a b1... Do have a TL1000R 6 floors up in my flat :) but ride a factory rsvr 05
Say I've only just got the Naza gps the other day.. Do I put - then the number for the Z or is it +
dont look like I'm going to get out to test it any time soon :( it's snow and rain ear

Austin913

Hehehe thanks.. Yes it's a b1... Do have a TL1000R 6 floors up in my flat :) but ride a factory rsvr 05

sweet! I just sold a C-1, Blata clone, and my Blata Mini. Still have a BMS pocket rocket. as for my big bikes, I have whats left of a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R, seen in my avatar. my street ride is a 2011 Honda Fury. I'm not much for going fast anymore (too many encounters with the city and counties finest around here). trick riding has been my 2 wheel fix the past several years, but I'm turning 36 in a couple months and need to start taking it easier on my body. awesome theres another biker on here!

use the -(then cm's/number) if the compass will be above ground level, which I dont know why it would be below ground level. that one got me too, till I watched a tutorial.

cabojay

View attachment 10501here's mine Peter from Sweden prints them on his 3d printer also have a gopro camera mount waiting for a servo from h/k thats taking for ever.. They just slide in between the solder joints.. Jay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 616

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
View attachment 13458here's mine Peter from Sweden prints them on his 3d printer also have a gopro camera mount waiting for a servo from h/k thats taking for ever.. They just slide in between the solder joints.. Jay

Can't say I have seen those type of legs attached do the board instead of the arms! Unique!