35 Meters max with ImmersionRC 600mw Yellow Nano 5.8 Receiver, Blubeam Cloverleaf Ant

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

i did some aerial fotos today for a friend and hocked up the video downlink gear. I took the kopter straight up for 30 35 meter and higher and my video signal dropped dead. I am a little disappointed hopping it can do at least 50 m plus.

I have the transmitter attached to my carbon landinggear, to one side of the DW Ext landing gear. Could that be the reason for this bad signal strength ?

Thanks

Boris

Setup:

ImmersionRC 600mw
Cloverleaf Antenna, Bluebeam
Nano 5.8 Receiver,
also Cloverleaf Antenna, Bluebeam.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 521

Macsgrafs

Boris, the antenna your using has a blind spot right under it, try an inverted V if possible or swing the antenna through 90 degrees & see what happens.

Ross

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ah okay than i misunderstood the bluebeam guy, i thought he said head down or head up it should be mounted. I will try that thanks !

Macsgrafs

There was a thread over at RCG & the designer was saying that overhead can cause range problems, just swivel the whole thing 90 degrees & see what happens. Let me know will you my friend so that I can see what the range is like

Ross

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I will gonna make the change tomorrow and than test. Will let you know right away.

Boris

Borneoben

Boris

Any update?

I am considering getting a 5.8Ghz system to replace my 900mhz system and i would also be using the tiny little Blue beams

Would be interested to hear how changing the position helped you??

Cheers

Ben

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Ben,

it will take me to the end of the week to test it. No real flying possibility at the moment to fly it far.

Boris

juz

FPV pilot
Way too much carbon fibre. I avoid carbon and metal (as much as possible) for my FPV builds. Carbon can block and interfere with radio signals. You should get some serious range with 600mW. I run 300mW Vtx (1.3ghz) and can easily fly 1km.

krleas

FPV Freak
U cant compare 1,3gHz and 5,8 gHz. Lower frequency - large range. With 600mW i have good range between 400-600m. I use coverleaf and 13db patch.
With 900mHz and 1W my range is almost 2km with no problem.

@ Boris
Try on receiver normal antenna not coverleaf.
I had similar problem with Airwave 7ch 5.8GHz Receiver, when i used coverleaf my range was 10m or less or even black screen.
I puted on receiver normal 3db antenna, range was 300m.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
krleas
can the cloverleaf or skew-planar antennae be used with overhead positions as well as long distance? I've got a dipole and patch on my receiver.
thanks,
bartman

krleas

FPV Freak
Yes.
And this is the best combo. Transmiter cloverleaf, receiver diversity with patch and dipole.

@Thanks Boris, nice to see u here.

juz

FPV pilot
U cant compare 1,3gHz and 5,8 gHz. Lower frequency - large range. With 600mW i have good range between 400-600m. I use coverleaf and 13db patch.
With 900mHz and 1W my range is almost 2km with no problem.

Maybe, but with a good quality 600mW tx, over 1km is easily achieveable. Infact 200mW 5.8GHz will get you to 1-2km no problem (if you know what your doing) and the distance record for 5.8GHz 200mW is around 6km. 450metres?? HA, been done with 16mW on 5.8. And on that note, a 1w Vtx on 900GHz Vtx is crazy overkill, ask any experienced FPVer.

krleas

FPV Freak
I'm talking about distances without interference.

Right now im watching your movies, great job m8. U are really Freak.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
So I guess my approach would have be to get the atenna as far away from the carbon as possible. So would the antenna directly on the landgear or 30 cm away from the nearest carbon piece make a significant difference ?

Thanks

Boris