2 Miles with a Quad - TBS Discovery

Spyderarm

Spyderarm
Wanted to post this distance test showing the capabilities of TBS Discovery - good setup - strong craft. Also shows capabilities of Futaba/RMRC equipment/ and Eagle Tree. This was in Montana - a one-mile low to the ground test trying to find a target vehicle for close observation, and a longer distance two-mile test higher up.

EDITED DISTANCE TEST: http://youtu.be/FhtRrFIg9tA

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
There is a 17km out and back flight posted up on FPV Lab a little while ago.

With the latest Aerial Mob's arms and some slow motors on 6S over thirty minutes duration are getting far easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
No one worried about the new FAA rules? Just curious is all.

What are you using for the 2 Mile range? EzUHF?

SamaraMedia

What batteries you using to get 8000. I know at one time you had Zippy Compact 2700 6s. Piggy backing two 4000's?

Spyderarm

Spyderarm
Gene - yes, video gets a little fuzzy several times, but I'm learning to punch through it and not panic, which I did when I was starting out - scary stuff. For some reason, there always seems to be those localized areas of interference - not random either - if I went through that exact area again at that height, I would expect the exact same interference. Thanks for the comment.

Kloner - I'm a big fan - thanks for taking a look.

One Stop RC - there is a full equipment description in the video, but I'm using a Futaba 14 channel radio and receiver - stock. I've tested on the ground at about 2 miles intermittent so I expected to get two miles pretty consistently in the air, and I did. I've seen videos in the air at just under 3 miles range with this equipment. Of course, Dragon Link like 433 systems goes farther in the air, but for some reason, this one performed better near the ground which is where most of my flying is done, so I stuck with it.

About FAA rules - I had two spotters - one at 1-mile and one at 2-miles with eyes on the craft at all times - I was never over 400 feet above ground - return to home tested - and a spotter with me with binocs that had eyes on most of the time.